R10SWi is...muddy and farty

alxlwson

So the first bit of my new gear came in, the R10SWi. The Sixes will be here later this month. So, in the interim, I went ahead and hooked up the sub. I set the subs low pass to ~50Hz which is the low end of my speakers. I enabled the sub out on my receiver. It's an old Pioneer, can't remember the model number off the top of my head. I set the sub output level to "min", that ranges from there to 5, 10, 15, and max. I set the sub's gain to 3. Cranked up the volume to where I enjoy listening, which is rather loud, but not deafening by any means. The bass hits sound terrible! They are muddy instead of punchy (lots of double kicks, I listen to heavy metal. Here is one of the songs on was listening to, but @320kbps br). I was expecting these to be punchy and clean.  I have the sub port approximately 8" from the wall. It's not in a corner, and is centered on one of the long walls in my office. There are times where it even sounds like it's being over driven, very distorted and flappy. 

So I got on youtube and found a frequency sweep that started at 2GHz and went down to 1Hz. Even though I had the subs low pass set to 50Hz, it starts blowing it's load at 150Hz. I even verified the sub setting. Unfortunately, my receiver does not have an actual LFE option where I could limit the signal at the receiver.

So, what's the deal? Am I expecting too much from the sub, is it garbage, or is my receiver to blame.

Thanks for any input. This is disappointing.

I would try different placement options first.  Move it around the room and play the same track until you find a sweet spot.  I would aim more towards a corner.  Also, I would set the crossover point at 80hz and go from there, bring it up a bit from the bottom of your mains, just makes them all happier.  Has great reviews on Amazon.  It's not a powerhouse sub, 150 watt rms, but ported with a 10 it should play reasonably well.  Let us know what you find.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ACV92 said:

I would try different placement options first.  Move it around the room and play the same track until you find a sweet spot.  I would aim more towards a corner.  Also, I would set the crossover point at 80hz and go from there, bring it up a bit from the bottom of your mains, just makes them all happier.  Has great reviews on Amazon.  It's not a powerhouse sub, 150 watt rms, but ported with a 10 it should play reasonably well.  Let us know what you find.

Thanks! I'll give it a try when I get home from work.

Sounds like you are happy but Google “sub crawl”. It might help you maximize the subs potential and probably let you turn the gain down a little, which would ultimately help take some strain off the sub and prolong the amp’s life.

• Thanks 1