Pair Walnut Finish Epic CF3 (I believe vs2)

LD2210

Hey everyone, I just had some questions about this pair of Epics that I inherited from my dad. By the way thank you to those who have helped so far, I never knew there was such an awesome community/family for this! So this pair has consecutive serial numbers, I believe they are from 1995. Is there some special significance to the consecutive pairs other than maybe that makes them more valuable? I haven’t hooked these up yet since I haven’t had them that long. I wanted to learn a bit more about them since I am well aware how lucky I am to have these. I have heard them in action when my dad played them and nothing I have heard even comes close! Thanks for any information or recommendations you can give me! Pretty sure these are gonna make me the coolest/loudest chick on my street! 😁

hi.  to answer your question on the consecutive serial #'s... no, there really isnt any significance to them being consecutive, just that it means they are a matched pair made together.  many times dealers would substitute another speaker for a damaged one or a warranty issue if the customer didnt want to wait for a repair from klipsch & most people back then didnt know or care if the serial numbers matched. having matching #'s does help the resale value though.  also for many klipsch speakers the grain of the veneer is matched so they look the same.  glad yours are a matched set. 

you can verify what version they are by checking the serial number date of manufacture, also by the internal wiring.  theres a long informative thread on here for epic owners that has great info on these speakers. 

also, can you post a pic of the labels &/or speakers? i could be wrong but i dont think epics came in walnut, they were black, oak, cherry & maybe mahogany.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Looks like it says Oak and the previous owner restained them in what looks like walnut stain. They look good!

My dad took very good care of his equipment! Funny I was given them now, when I was in high school there was absolutely no touching of the stereo equipment! 😆

• Like 1

looks like i was wrong on the walnut option... ive just never seen a set in walnut, not in person or listed for sale anywhere.  epics are awsome speakers & in walnut they would be even better!

looking at the pics i dont think those were restained in walnut, just a very clean medium oak.  walnut is very dark by comparison.  ive had a few medium oak klipsch speakers & they all were a little different color, the grain can make them darker/lighter.  but walnut is definitely much darker than oak.

either way, nice speakers!

• Like 1

I made a mistake when i said "rosewood" as one of the veneers it came with. Meant to say Mahogany.  Apparently they also came in Cherry and they did come in Walnut! Awesome! I had ZERO idea they ever made them in walnut and then i just came across a CF-3 version 1 on eBay in Walnut.

GORGEOUS!!! 😍
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LD2210 said:

I had to go have a look at those, nice indeed. Could the price be because they are vs1? Also curious what makes that version so coveted. Are they that rare/hard to find? 

The Version 1 CF series were designed by Roy Delgado (Forum name @Chief bonehead) who worked closely with Paul Klipsch and was his protege. The Version 1 speakers have a longer port tube, i think around 6 inches, and are known for being extremely balanced and musical. Supposedly some dealers didnt think it they sounded "Klipsch Like" so Klipsch revised the design for Version 2 which had shorter ports to change the speaker to have more 'sizzle' at the cost of the original V1 smoothness. Then they moved to Version 3 which had cheaper drivers and colored wiring. Roy typically works in the Pro side now but recently designed the Forte III which is another speaker that I am sure will be just a coveted in the future. As for an investment, assuming you keep them in good shape I imagine the V1s will always hold their value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1