REW download

babadono

Sorry - I thought you were talking about the new control application for Xilica crossovers (also has smartphone support)--

I use the single instance version of REW--since I don't have a need for multiple versions running simultaneously.  I'm not sure under what circumstances that you'd want to do that.  YMMV.

Chris

Well .... on the new laptop the REW is downloaded and running. The UMIK cal files are installed and REW recognizes it being hooked up. I've got the XConsole software installed to control the XP 4080 crossover. I'm getting darn close to being able to do some damage. I've got to learn how to use REW now. Some youtube tutorials are in order.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, babadono said:

Some youtube tutorials are in order.

Hi babadono ... you are a couple of days ahead of me :D  My mic is coming tomorrow; have not downloaded software yet ... and still trying to figure out miniDSP (not bought yet) connections.  Found a youtube video which helped me understand some of the basics :D 

I'm sure there is plenty of info online regarding how to use REW, and I will admit that I am not familiar with the program myself (well that particular program). In the pro audio world, there are a couple of products similar to what REW does, and tons more info on how to use them... these programs are more of a "tool" that helps YOU to adjust things to work most efficiently with each other or within the room; it doesn't automatically give you the proper settings!  With that in mind, you kinda need to become a bit of an acoustical engineer and get a good understanding of coupling (or decoupling) of multiple sources of a sound (that includes a single source with reflections off of walls or large pieces of furniture, which will appear as multiple sources to the fft analyzer, and mess with your measurement results!)

If you can find a free class for live sound engineers to learn about line arrays, most of these are 75% acoustics that can relate to any speakers, and 25% (or less) manufacturer/product specific. Meyer Sound usually gives free classes (go to their website to see where and when) and many other companies have classes that may or may not be free (L-acoustics, eaw, Jbl pro, Martin audio, D&B Audioteknik, etc).

The software used by most professionals is called Smaart Live, and although it's a different program, I'm pretty sure it does the same thing (arguably better or with more features) but the real challenge is understanding what it's measuring and what to look for in the readings, not necessarily where a particular button is in the program (once you know what you're looking for you'll probably find that button pretty easily!)

So I recommend looking at smaart live training videos as well (or possibly their in-person training seminars, although I think there's a big push to purchase the software in those), as you will gain a wealth of knowledge, most of what will translate directly to the use of REW.

There are a lot of audio analysis tools out there. REW is free and is for home audio enthusiasts.  I find that it has a high degree of functionality in several areas that keeps me coming back to use it again and again--sort of like "Grand Central Station". But there are other tools for other uses.  Horses for courses.  I find that the freeware tools play nice with other and exchange data with each other.  The for-profits ones--much less so.  The bottom line is that REW isn't really meant to be overwhelming but rather easy to use and useful to home enthusiasts.  That's the heritage of the tool. I wouldn't worry about all that it can do in the beginning.  If you keep using it, it will become more apparent all the things that it can do.

There are many tutorial videos on YouTube and third-party help that is available, as well as help from at least three home audio forums (Home Theater Shack, Audio Nirvana, diyAudio, etc.) that answer just about any question that a user might have. The more you need from REW as you begin to become familiar with it, the more features you can pull in to help you see what is occurring in-room.  Many amateurs use REW for their home DIY loudspeaker analysis. The diyAudio forums have a large group of REW users who develop their own loudspeaker designs. 

There are also other data acquisition and analysis tools that are used there that are free (ARTA, Omnimic being two) and those that are for-profit (including the little DATS tool from Parts Express/Dayton Audio for impedance and T/S parameter measurements).  I find that I lack for nothing with REW. It's more powerful than many people realize or use it for.  But that situation isn't terribly unique to software applications that grow over time--in any domain.

Chris

Yea I like free. After all the Jubes were not free, the Xilica was not free, and all the other equipment neither. And after all I'm just trying to get 95% of the way "there". The idea of paying lotsa bucks for that additional 5% does not appeal to me. As Chris says YMMV:)

• Like 2

Ok spent 2 hours getting the left and right output from the headphone jack of the laptop to be close to the same amplitude. Before I started on this adventure they were off by about double(6dB). Am I assured they will stay this way? And over all the sweep frequencies? I think I better just choose one channel or the other and get a Y splitter.....or just use 1 input channel on the mixer and pan to the center. Or am I thinking wrong to begin with and I will only be doing one channel at a time anyway?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, babadono said:

Ok spent 2 hours

Haha ... is it still fun? :D  Sitting here with cables, etc ... waiting for the mic ... Postman is already 3 hours late :(  Jeez; going to pour myself an early glass of vino :D 

9 minutes ago, babadono said:

Ok spent 2 hours getting the left and right output from the headphone jack of the laptop to be close to the same amplitude. Before I started on this adventure they were off by about double(6dB).

Yikes 😬  I guess I forgot how much I rely on the HDMI bus from my laptop to my AVP to give me consistent undistorted output.  

I don't know what to say other than "good luck".

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Ok spent 2 hours getting the left and right output from the headphone jack of the laptop to be close to the same amplitude. Before I started on this adventure they were off by about double(6dB). Am I assured they will stay this way? And over all the sweep frequencies? I think I better just choose one channel or the other and get a Y splitter.....or just use 1 input channel on the mixer and pan to the center. Or am I thinking wrong to begin with and I will only be doing one channel at a time anyway?

Did you try different cables ?

I had the same thing happen when I first started using REW, then I tried some different cables and eventually found a few that were both equal and flat in the sweep calibration. Toss the bad ones.

• Like 1

OK; got my mike at 6pm. Thanks to you taxpayers; you've paid for my postman's overtime :)  Did a Left (purple) and a Right (green) check on my Heresy's on my AVR ... and actually got "something." Haha :D Hoping someone can give me a few pointers what this actually means :D  FYI, Left (purple) side of my TV room (about 21x14x9') is "wide open" to a 20x35' space ... does that explain the lower dB (purple) on the left side?  OK; continuing to "play." :D 

Cheers, Emile

image.png.5bd6e3e25ea658a12ed9777a6b91ef20.png

1 hour ago, babadono said:

So @Chris A will i be doing one channel at time anway? Or do I want an equal signal into both channels at the same time? 

Yes the laptop has an HDMI out port but nothing in my 2 channel system where the Jubes are has HDMI in.

One loudspeaker at a time, microphone about 1 metre in front of the Jub, centered on the bottom of the K-402 base, looking up at 45 degrees.  This is the best compromise that I've found for microphone position to avoid early reflections.  I find that piling up absorption on the floor between the microphone and the Jub bass bin, the width of the speaker (at least) and about 2-3 inches thick will give you reasonable phase information (and group delay).  Without that absorption, the phase plots will likely be mostly useless.

If you're using subwoofer(s), then that measurement needs to be at least 2 metres from the Jubs/subs or at the prime listening position (LP).

I mention the HDMI as a longer term way of getting better measurements.  I believe that Carl has mentioned using a "HDMI-lite" device that might also help the connectivity issues.

Chris

1 hour ago, Emile said:

...FYI, Left (purple) side of my TV room (about 21x14x9') is "wide open" to a 20x35' space ... does that explain the lower dB (purple) on the left side?  OK; continuing to "play." :D 

Cheers, Emile

image.png.5bd6e3e25ea658a12ed9777a6b91ef20.png

I would recommend changing the horizontal scale to logarithmic--not linear--and the sweep from about 30 Hz to 20 kHz.  Open up the vertical scale until the vertical scale divisions show 5 dB or 2 dB divisions .  Then you'll be able to see the frequency response. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Chris A said:

I use the single instance version of REW--since I don't have a need for multiple versions running simultaneously.  I'm not sure under what circumstances that you'd want to do that.  YMMV.

Dual FFTs are used for live sound, comparing the output of the mixing board to the FOH speakers' output in real time. SMAART is a commercially available system frequently used in that application.