The Great L.E.D. conumdrum

CECAA850

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

And now we have a Presbyterian.

As my niece said concerning having been informed that her generally expressionless brother-in-law was "excited" about attending a baseball game, "How can you tell?"

Dave

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 2:19 PM, CECAA850 said:

It's a reunion, not a funeral. 

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Sorry to hear that. 

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I know.  It's a shame, right?  

You guys are playing ball in a completely different field than me. Maybe someday I'll get it.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, CECAA850 said:

I guess the rheostat needs a certain load or needs to see some sort of return voltage to function properly.  It will go from full bright to a barely visible glow now with no flickering and the whole span of the slider is now usable.  Hopefully this will help someone out who runs into a similar issue.  

Very helpful information. Fixed my similar multi-LED bulb dimming problem. Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, CECAA850 said:

We're getting our house ready for a reunion of sorts with my 4 older brothers and families.  As we're on the back porch refinishing wooden patio furniture my wife decides that we're long overdue for patio lighting.  String lights to be exact.  OK, no problem, I'll research it to death and order something.  I found a 52' stringer with 24 sockets.  That should be plenty.  Next LED bulbs.  I purchased 24 dimmable S14 socket vintage style LED bulbs.  If I'm going to dim them I'll need a dimmer.  The one I found was rated for LED, CFL incandescent and halogen.  Everything should work right?  Hanging the light string took about 4 to 5 hours.  The string is not supposed to support it's own weight rather be supported and hung at each bulb socket.  Most of the sockets could be attached to the aluminum beams but there were 2 spans that had to have guy wire installed for the strings to be hung from.  Everything went up fine and when I plugged it in everything lit up as it should.  All was great till I tried the dimmer.  The dimmer has a slide that travels about an inch and a half.  Only the top quarter of an inch or so actually did any dimming.  If you could finagle the switch to the tiny area that gave you the proper amount of dimming the lights would flicker or pulsate.  Crap.  The next day I spent talking to the place I bought everything, the bulb manufacturer and 2 different dimmer manufacturers with absolutely no luck.  it seems that LED bulbs and dimmers are very particular with who they interact with.  This isn't going to work.  The next day I did a bunch of reading and decided to try something.  I bought one 11 watt incandescent appliance bulb with the same base type and shape of my LED bulbs.  There was one bulb socket at the end of the run that wasn't too noticeable so I swapped out the LED for the 11 watt incandescent bulb.  It actually worked!  I guess the rheostat needs a certain load or needs to see some sort of return voltage to function properly.  It will go from full bright to a barely visible glow now with no flickering and the whole span of the slider is now usable. 

Hopefully this will help someone out who runs into a similar issue. 

Your information was helpful again.

IMG_2065.JPG.9944a78aeca3a1e9d334ddbce1d226cb.JPG

6 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Your information was helpful again.

Nice.  I think I see the incandescent bulb there toward the middle.  It's really not noticeable  and the only reason I saw it was because I was specifically looking for it.