Foam board speakers / exciters ???

Emile

Found several youtube posts re flat panels ( styrofoam, balsa, wallboard, etc ) used with "exciter speakers." looks like a fun project to try for less than $100 ... plus (if it works) might be good for surround speakers when "depth" is a problem. No clue about the sound though.  Anyone experimented with these?

• Like 1

Fantastic! Funny enough I came across a guy at a trade show I was doing a few years ago who was selling something similar but less sophisticated. A small exciter type unit for about $40 Canadian that could be placed on just about anything and be used as a speaker. He was shooting for the camping backyard party market and tied to a cell phone or IPod type device. Sounded half decent on a pizza box, actually pretty good on an old school styrofoam beer/picnic cooler. For a century sound reproduction has been an evolution and refinement of very old tech, this may be the beginning of sound reproduction tech in the 21 century.

• Like 1

I looked into these quite a bit a while back but never pulled the trigger on getting the components. From what I read they will make excellent surround or ceiling atmos speakers and they radiate in a way that nomatter what angle you listen you still get a good soundstage. Many people rum them with a super tweeter though for the high end. I think the optimal setup is using rigid fiberglass board. The technology is actually moving into the pro audio field as well:

http://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, twk123 said:

I looked into these quite a bit a while back but never pulled the trigger on getting the components. From what I read they will make excellent surround or ceiling atmos speakers and they radiate in a way that nomatter what angle you listen you still get a good soundstage. Many people rum them with a super tweeter though for the high end. I think the optimal setup is using rigid fiberglass board. The technology is actually moving into the pro audio field as well:

http://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/

Impressive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YK Thom said:

the optimal panel

Yes; that seems to be the problem :D  Lots of unscientific experimentation :( Want to try it but cannot decide on the material for the panel ... Haha, maybe I'll try a graphene sheet :) 

20 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I would love to hear a pair of the tectonic panels

Yes, same here :D  but think their "intro" model is about $7500 per panel :( 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YK Thom said:

optimal panel

Seems carbon fiber with a 1/8-1/4' honeycomb (w/ 1/8" cells) is the preferred material. Not much info from DIY's as this stuff is about $100 per square foot ... ouch :( especially since I believe 2x2' would be much better.  OK; will order some tactile speakers from PartsExpress and "play" with cheap boards before I spend big money :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babadono said:

Wondering if the old man would flash a :pwk_bs: button on these guys.

I don’t know, I listened to the video and it sounded pretty good. New tech and he was an engineer... 

once these are perfected they could spell the end of the electrostatic.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:42 AM, Marvel said:

I would love to hear a pair of the tectonic panels in a medium sized p.a. setup. I can see awesome possibilities.

Bruce

We already have those here on the West Coast.  The Subsonic Subduction unit needs some more damping, though.  We've thought of pouring glue into it.

• Haha 1

OK; ordered some exciters from PartsExpress and carbon fiber from another place ... picking up honeycomb panels from a local fiberglass shop :D  (Haha ... did not want to screw around with cheap styrofoam panels ... what's another couple of dollars for a hi-fi nut :) ) Will post some results in the next couple of days.

Cheers, Emile