Should I upgrade to the RP-280F or change my old Sony 5 channel receiver

Charlo27

Hi ! I presently have the R-28F as a 2.2 channel for Music Only powered by an old Sony 5 channel STR-DB930. I own the R-28F for 5 Months now, I mean the sound is good but in the same time I feel like it could be a lot better and I don’t know if it’s the R-28F who are just not that great or it’s my old Sony receiver from 2005 that is making my Klipsch doesn’t sound good enough. I am only 20 years old and don’t have a lot of experience in HiFi, So should I upgrade my R-28F to the RP-280F and keep my Sony receiver OR Upgrade my Sony receiver to a good Cambridge CXA60 stereo amplifier or if you have another amplifier recommendation it would be much appreciated? Thank you. !

@Charlo27,

Welcome to the forum.

Actually your Sony was a pretty well respected AVR in it's time.  With that said I think a nice dedicated stereo system will trump most AVRs for 2-channel sound quality most of the time.  

First, moving up to the RP-280Fs will(from what I have read/heard) be an improvement across the board.  They(whoever they are) say that you build a system around a pair of speakers.  I say if you are chewing at the bit to change speakers then do that.   See/hear what you get with the Sony and then decide if moving on from it is beneficial.

Bill