KLF-30, Do they all have glue issues?

Bonzo

Hopefully I will be able to do some more critical listening next week. Got relatives coming this weekend for Fathers Day. So far, the difference between the two for sound quality is pretty even to me. In other words, I could live with either speaker. Kind of a cop out but I just haven't time to do a lot of listening. 

Got up early, before the onslaught, to do some listening. One of my favorite test CD’s is Mark Knofler’s “One Take Radio Sessions.” Very well recoded with some nice and deep low end. The rest of the frequencies are well represented also. I got to hand it to Roy Delgado, he designed one hell of a series of speakers!  The CF-3 reproduced the low end with authority and accuracy. To my ears, they went deeper than the KLF-30 which surprised me a bit. I assume better cabinet, drivers and maybe front porting had much to do with that.  Don’t get me wrong, the 30’s hold their own just maybe missing half of the lower octave. Where the 30’s trump the CF-3 is in the high end and upper mid-range. Soundstage is close but, as mentioned many times, the CF-3 is best when seated in the Lazy-Boy. 

Just a brief impression of two fine speakers. I can see with a bit of upgrades, the KLF-30 can be a next level speaker. I just don’t think there is much than can be done with CF-3 save for maybe some crossover work?

The amp used used is a restored Marantz 1060 cap-coupled integrated amp. A mere 30 watts a side of beautiful “tube like” sound!

Not having the room for both big towers, one pair will have to go. Unfortunately, it may come down to cosmetics and the ability to do upgrades. Sadly, the CF-3’s are cosmetically challenged. They were that way when I brought them. The good news, the drivers are all original and work perfectly! Decisions, decisions........

make sure the 30 s have room to breath away from a back wall brother bonzo ,need to be a foot or more and  wait until you hear female voices like sade on them 3 ways ear level mids and highs they sing  dude .,the draw back of the cf line is that the horn was middle of the speakers and that made it where you either had to lift it a foot up or more to get it at ear level .

i actually think the cf 3 would make a killer center channel bonzo 

I have them a tick under 8’ apart, 14” from the back wall, toed in and 8’ from the lazy boy. Had the iPod on random and the first track was “My Sharona” by The Knack. You know they were going to be “the next Beatles.” It was the kiss of death!

Anyway, the drum intro was kickin’ and vocals dead center with great soundstage.

i am gonna mention this ,i have my klf 30 s bridged mode and the bass that i get outa them will surprise you bonzo ,but i often experiment and tweak a lot with all my system ...that is why i prefer a pro power amp .

you can kick the crap out of it and run it in stereo ,y mode and bridge it , and it will really take it all without breaking a sweat .i do have an hsu vtf15h mk 2 so i really never need to set my 30 s below 40 hz 

• Like 1

Very nice set up. I try to keep things simple. I don’t need room shaking bass anymore and I’m not a big fan of “one note wonders.”  I like a big full range efficient tower. I’m leaning toward three way towers  currently. I do need more critical listening time.

• Like 1

as promised my setup with c7 x2 ,i think klipch should bring this phenomenal center back as imo is the best of the best .

i have owned rc 64 and rc 62 and rc 7 ,with rf 7 classics before the klf s and can and have compared them all and can say to my ears this  c7 is the absolute best and x2 is nothing short of amazing  i named it klf c4 ...now the center stage keeps up with the 4 klf 30 s and the 20 s running all full gain on crowns .... and against what some people say that you shouldn't use 2 centers cause timing  or phase or whatever ....uh uh sounds throatier and has more grunt power detail 

c 7 x2.jpg

• Like 1

Dude, I’ll bet your neighbors love you! Great looking rig. My system is music only and based on the “KISS” philosophy. Keep It Simple Stupid! I guess the only frill I have is a nice, but simple, DAC. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, malmstump said:

no ,not all of them brother. look on the back  0f your  speaker terminals are gold colors without plastic then they are  built in 1997 which is the year they had issues with .

also you have to listen to them and turn up the bass ,if they rattle it is ok easy fix that just means you can get a better deal from the guy selling them .

regardless of the condition buy them and i can guide thru step by step fix as i did this to 2 pair of klf 20 s and 30 s 

all the best klipsch brother and if you don't like em i can always buy them off you 

One of my KLF 30 Black Satins produces a rattle from the midrange horn when the box is pounded gently on the side. Is this something a novice might be able to repair? If not, do you want another pair of 30's?

18 hours ago, Rachder said:

One of my KLF 30 Black Satins produces a rattle from the midrange horn when the box is pounded gently on the side. Is this something a novice might be able to repair? If not, do you want another pair of 30's?

Won't rattle from the midrange horn.  Take the horn out and make sure the driver is screwed tight and screw the horn back into the front panel tightly (not overly though as it is plastic with wood screws).