KLF-30, Do they all have glue issues?

Bonzo

I am going to check out a pair of KLF-30’s today. Having had a pair about ten years ago that had glue problems, I was wondering if they all have that issue? Did Klipsch figure out they had some glue during the manufacture of these speakers and fix the problem? Or, did it not materialize until after that line was dropped? 

no ,not all of them brother. look on the back  0f your  speaker terminals are gold colors without plastic then they are  built in 1997 which is the year they had issues with .

also you have to listen to them and turn up the bass ,if they rattle it is ok easy fix that just means you can get a better deal from the guy selling them .

regardless of the condition buy them and i can guide thru step by step fix as i did this to 2 pair of klf 20 s and 30 s 

all the best klipsch brother and if you don't like em i can always buy them off you 

• Like 2

Checked them out along with the di-pole surrounds and matching center speakers. He’s also selling a big Denon AV receiver from that era as a package deal. I’m only interested in the KLF-30’s and made him an offer.

Original owner, very nice condition with just some very minor issues. Black finish so flaws are easy to cover. Serial number says they are from mid-year 1998. Everything works and sounds great! Hopefully he will accept my offer.

• Like 3

Well, I brought them home today! Haven’t had much of a chance to listen but, what I’ve heard, I am very impressed. Amp is a restored Marantz 1060 integrated. I will admit, I have panned this speaker in the past due to prior experience with them. That was about ten years ago and I still have visions of wood clamps and cleaning out copper pieces out of the tweeter magnet gap. I did like the sound once I got them fixed but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Looking forward to giving them a second chance. Here’s a picture of one next to a CF-3 v1. 

0D1F45D4-1BF2-43B5-8F4A-14AA6E95925D.jpeg

• Like 4

I've had both of those. Sold the KLF-30's because the CF-3's sounded better in the living room of the house we were in at the time..probably because of the rear ports versus front. Both pairs had the cabinet issues too. Ultimately sold the CF-3's not long ago because I built a pair of Belles. Miss those 3's sometimes. 

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I’m going to hold off on any “upgrades” for a bit. Although, I may get the ti tweeter diagrams from Bob. Never cared for the plastic ones. 

I am am enjoying the A/B gig with the CF-3’s. Completely different presentation of the music which interesting considering they are from the same company roughly built the same time. 

• Like 1

Totally understand holding off on the upgrades but just so you're aware.....the upgrades are what put these speakers over the top. That is, as long as your cabs are solid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Bonzo said:

I am am enjoying the A/B gig with the CF-3’s. Completely different presentation of the music which interesting considering they are from the same company roughly built the same time. 

I'd like to hear your detailed compare/contrast sometime.  I have the CF-4's but I would say the CF-3's enjoy the same almost cult-like appreciation of the sound.

My friend @teaman likes the sound of the 3-ways, I like the big 2-ways especially in the MTM configuration.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I'd like to hear your detailed compare/contrast sometime.  I have the CF-4's but I would say the CF-3's enjoy the same almost cult-like appreciation of the sound.

My friend @teaman likes the sound of the 3-ways, I like the big 2-ways especially in the MTM configuration.

Yeah Dave, I enjoyed the CF-3 clone JBL SVA-2100 when I owned them. The titanium compression driver sounded really nice. Problem with me was that the tweeter was perfect if I were sitting down, but if I was standing or working in the room with them playing the tweeter was so much lower that I feel a lot of the music was lost. With the KLF-20 and 30 I find the tweeter and mid to be pretty neutral whether you are sitting or standing. They are high enough to give you the experience of the highs regardless of your position. I still miss my SVA 2100 though, they did sound pretty sweet. Years ago my buddy had a pair of CF-3 or 4 that I got to enjoy on a regular basis, can't knock them at all sound wise, only for positioning of the tweeter so low in the cabinet.

Tim

• Like 1

congrats bonzo, after you have a good listen plz we need a good detailed review ...i own .4 klf s 30 s, 2 c7 s and a pair  klf 20 and all 8 of them are considered never to sell ever .heard crites and imo i didnt like the brightness of the ti ,take 3 months b4 you decide on any upgrade i also run everything on crown power amps and they rock 

• Like 2

heard crites and imo i didnt like the brightness of the ti

I EQ in the digital domain and roll the highs off slightly to compensate for this. Otherwise, I might be right there with you.

• Like 1

i also run everything on crown power amps and they rock 

Oh yeah.....I run tubes and vintage Marantz but when I want to go hard I switch over to my K2's or Macrotech amps. That's when KLF-30's will truly impress you. I'm sure the CF-4's are right there as well. I heard those speakers over 20 years ago and still remember how awesome they sounded.

• Like 1

nice SWL ,had to get some xls 2502 to wake up those beasts ,i did look in the k2 s no fan but so pricey ...i went class d with the new xls  all black and can change sensitivity to 0.75 v , turn off all lights too .

had emotiva ,parasound and carver b4 , they all sound great but the crowns hold on to those woofer and really control everything like nothing else 

that is why i went the po amps way a long time ago 20 years as  $ per watt is much cheaper 

• Like 1