"Shorthorns" on Craiglist ... nice pair!

Tony T

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipschorn.../6615804428.html

12 hours ago ... Pair of wonderful Klipschorn Shorthorn corner speakers from 1960 in walnut cabinets. I had them connected to a same period McIntosh stereo ...

You'd need to correspond with the person who listed the ad back from back east. Just thought I'd put the ad out there after observing earlier.

I wonder, is it true that only 48 pair were ever produced?

Interestingly enough, I just realized they're not sequential by just 3 digits. Oddly enough, they're signed 7 months apart from each other. Hmm, love to know the true story behind that one!

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What driver(s) are in these?

1B60F176-F1B9-43EC-8047-72747ACC1EA8.jpeg

I believe they could come with either the K-Ortho-12 (T-35 EV tweeter, University SAHF mid driver and EV SP 12B woof) or K-Ortho-15 (T-35, SAHF. and probably the EV 15W-K bass).  The tags would say, though you can also shine a flashlight through the slot in the back to see which they are.  The "K" is stamped in, hard to see after the "15W."  

Beautiful speakers though, deepest bass is lacking because the bass horn is so short.  The 15 bass driver would probably have very impressive low tones regardless.  Great midrange and highs IMO.

1 hour ago, LarryC said:

I believe they could come with either the K-Ortho-12 (T-35 EV tweeter, University SAHF mid driver and EV SP 12B woof) or K-Ortho-15 (T-35, SAHF. and probably the EV 15W-K bass).  The tags would say, though you can also shine a flashlight through the slot in the back to see which they are.  The "K" is stamped in, hard to see after the "15W."  

Beautiful speakers though, deepest bass is lacking because the bass horn is so short.  The 15 bass driver would probably have very impressive low tones regardless.  Great midrange and highs IMO.

I think it is the 15 from the label.  This should be after they changed components, the above sound correct.

The original components were:

Stevens truvoice 103LX (15" woofer, 12" was an option)
University 4401
University SA-HF

Here is the 1957 price list, they were not cheap for the day:

f57ad51b.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

I wonder, is it true that only 48 pair were ever produced?

I have two others in my database and my note says 48 pair produced.

Sample 1 asked $1100, Sold price not confirmed.  SN 885 and 886, "special order from Klipsch."  They had 12" EV 12B woofer and all drivers were16 Ohm.  Condition C for average.  Listed Jan 2017 on Houston CL.

Sample 2 Listed for $650, Sold price not confirmed.  Condition and location unknown.  July 2017

Since I only have 3 samples with the prices $1250 apart and no confirmed sale prices, any "average price" is meaningless.

12 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Love them, but geez how many pair can I have?  Ugh!

Dave, do you have the Shorthorn, or are you referring to Klipsch speakers in general?  I think it's the latter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Dave, do you have the Shorthorn, or are you referring to Klipsch speakers in general?  I think it's the latter.

Correctumundo.  With so few made I'm sure they would be a convo piece if they sounded good.  LS, Heresy and Infinity Ref Standard 2.5's sitting here now.  Emille might be rubbing off on me!  😂 😂   I need new gas!!!  Just say NO!  lol 

😎

• Haha 2

Definitely a version with the 15" woofer.  It seems to me this should sound really nice, although I have only heard the 15" EV woofer, and have never heard the 4400.  Don't expect 40-Hz bass from the short Model S back-loaded horn (the rare Model T easily went down to below 40 Hz).

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

No, the ad is still there. (Friday AM)

I see what I did wrong in terms of the link, only half of it is a hyperlink.  You have to highlight the entire line then open a tab.

Good clarification. 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I see what I did wrong in terms of the link, only half of it is a hyperlink.  You have to highlight the entire line then open a tab.

Good clarification. 

I know for a fact you are not the first person to do that.

Don't ask me how I know.

• Haha 1