Heresy II's, worth what they're asking?

ACV92

So, these are up for sale near me.  As are Horns, Scala's, Chorus, etc..  But, I'm a budget limited gent.  So, these came up, look to be in very good condition, but am wondering if I should entertain them as my mains.  I've said before, a few times, my mains now are 5.5's.  I just want to get towards a taste of the 3-way horn sound. 

What prefaces this is that I got to spend some time with another forum member earlier this week that has custom Jub's L & R, Horns for his rear channels, yes, I said Horns for his rear channels, and a Belle center, oh, and an 8' tall sub in the LF corner.  He had 3 racks of audio pleasantries with SS, tubes, vinyl, analog, passive, electronic, just about every combo you could come up with.  It was awesome to say the least, never reaching above 78 db.

Anyway, curious as to what others would think the Heresy's would be in place of the 5.5's, slanted risers (would have to make, or purchase).  I want a taste, understood a small one at that, of the tonal dynamics that I experienced.  Worth a look, or should I just keep saving?  Thanks.

Asking price is $400.

00K0K_fyn3f4LN5cV_1200x900.thumb.jpg.47a4fb30aaab7899952d2d46525ee3fe.jpg

• Like 1

From the not so clear photos they look to be in good shape and IMO worth the $400.00 asking price provided functionality is as it should be.

Can't say anything in comparison to the 5.5 because I have never heard them but do immensely enjoy my Heresy 1's and 2's.

Bill

• Like 1

If you're focused on the "3-way horn sound" then yes; $400 is a relatively cheap experiment.

However, if you can at all manage it, I'd suggest these Cornwalls for sale. in Chehalis/Seattle. I think after owning kg 5.5's, if you're looking for an upgrade that's also 3-way horn loaded, the Cornwall would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

What he said...  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  New risers from Crites for $50 and eliminate the stands...  Check them out before you load them up and you'll enjoy the sound.  I picked up a pair and it's kinda fun going from the LS to the Heresy just for a different sound.  Price is fair also imo but what do I know it's your $$$...  lolol  

• Like 2

They seem like they are in good shape from the pics, $400 is a good price for them. Plenty of Gen 1 Heresy still selling around the $400 mark. The Crites risers are a five minute addition that make a world of difference. Good luck!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

What he said...  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  New risers from Crites for $50 and eliminate the stands...  Check them out before you load them up and you'll enjoy the sound.  I picked up a pair and it's kinda fun going from the LS to the Heresy just for a different sound.  Price is fair also imo but what do I know it's your $$$...  lolol  

Dave1290 and I seem to be in parallel universes. And it sounds good!

Heresy’s hooked me decades ago. Had Heresy 1’s and 2’s, prefer the 2’s... sold ‘em all years ago.

In the last year LaScalas have ruined me for most other speakers.

A few weeks ago I sold my LaScalas to make room to refurb a pair of LSI Splits I found in need of some TLC.

Almost as soon as I sold them a pair of Heresy 2’s came up for $300 bucks, not nearly as nice as the ones listed above, but I pulled the trigger on them.

I still own Cornwalls, Chorus IIs and Tangent 5000s for comparison.

Honestly, the Heresy 2’s (2nd pair I have owned) and a tight sub are nothing to sneeze at. Elevated to ear level, in my case about three feet off the ground, they are as revealing as any Klipsch I have owned. And you can move them around easily! Easy to share, lol.

And as mentioned above, you can ALWAYS sell them for what you paid. The cat is out of the bag on the Klipsch gateway drug known as Heresy!

I don’t think you can go wrong with those Heresy II’s.

• Like 2

Hahahaha...  $325?  Can always go up!  Just go listen to them and take 'em home!  I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when you crank them up a bit w/one of your favs...  OR  Just sit and mumble a bit longer...    How many years have they been hangin around and selling all over the world?  You know better!  lolol  I sat here w/my LS and wondered then picked up mine..  Truly refreshing difference for the change up at times.  They'll cook @ about  60-70 db's..  No more whining!   Hahaha!  Maybe I was a car salesman in my first life...  Dunno...    :)

😎

So, he's got them for sale, but, there's a strip of birch missing from the bottom front of the speaker on the left.  Doesn't sound to hard to replace but I don't know, are they still worth the asking price?

Bought them for $350, but I'm an idiot.  When I was looking at them I didn't notice that one of them had serious water damage to the bottom of it, wasn't noticeable where they were sitting.  Same thing when I listened to them, thought they'd sound better at home, listened to them outside.  I wanted to see and hear what wasn't there. 

So, I've started working on the bottom of the one to repair it as best I can and ended up having to change both tweeter diaphragms.  Luckily, the diaphragms in the II's and the 5.5's are the same.  So, I had the original ones from the 5.5's to throw in.  Now I know why I changed them to Crites.  Ohm tested all of the other drivers and all was good. 

So, I've been listening to them for a bit now and I'm pretty impressed.  They're not as in your face as the 5.5's, not as much bass, but the imaging is better and the midrange is definitely improved.  Surprising for such a small speaker.

Overall, I'm glad I did it.  I'll get them doctored up and enjoy them for now.  Just have to figure out how to put the 5.5's and the II's with 2 subs across the front.  Going to get creative.  Thanks again gents.  Here's some pics.  The pics are doing them some justice.

113201582_IMG_20180616_175504057small.jpg.41dcbd58aefbe0c6d839157c3c72e290.jpg1439838450_IMG_20180616_175511942small.jpg.30b5f830c4dbf7002753c548fa43194d.jpg612953638_IMG_20180616_175518522small.jpg.9108e58ade0c3831d6945f1fa1459702.jpg

Big indicator of the water damage in the below pic.  Mind's eye just didn't want to see it.

1361765268_IMG_20180616_175536771small.jpg.cb45778d004479f18a9241b6cb6608f4.jpg

• Like 1