Home Theater set up for TV...?

SilverSport

31 minutes ago, silversport said:

where are you finding the 20wpc for the Panasonic...it is 100wpc for each channel at 6ohms listed in the owner's manual...did you look up the SA-XR57???

Bill

that receiver is 100 watts per channel at 6 ohms... with 2 channels driven.  adding the center channel will reduce the output throughout.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/audio/om/sa-xr57_en_om.pdf

it will be less than 100w with your 8 ohm speakers.  plus, it only has a maximum of 135 watts power consumption, which is very revealing of it's true power capabilities.  or lack there of.

for comparision, my 5x140 watt Marantz MM7055 amplifier has a 660 watt power consumption. 

16 minutes ago, silversport said:

Maybe I’m just asking too much of this ststem...I am using the optical/toslink connection to the AVR

Bill

the specs of the AVR aren't too impressive overall, but seems like you've isolated your lower volume issue to the Uverse box only?   does the Uverse box sound too quite when connected to your Outlaw? 

• Thanks 1

How I read the owners manual there are 6 amps and each are 100wpc. At least that’s what I see in it. It shows L/R 100wpc, Center 100wpc and i’m not using the surrounds but it shows 100wpc for those too as well as 100wpc ror rear surrounds I’m also not using...

as for the outlaw, I have no complaints even when just watching TV which I rarely do on that HT...

I think its more a symptom of the programs I’m receiving or listening to 

12 minutes ago, silversport said:

How I read the owners manual there are 6 amps and each are 100wpc. At least that’s what I see in it. It shows L/R 100wpc, Center 100wpc and i’m not using the surrounds but it shows 100wpc for those too as well as 100wpc ror rear surrounds I’m also not using... 

as for the outlaw, I have no complaints even when just watching TV which I rarely do on that HT...

I think its more a symptom of the programs I’m receiving or listening to 

Yes that is with 1 channel driven at 6ohms at  1kHz at .9% THD.  Drive 5 speakers at the same time and you "may" get 30w/ch at 6ohms.

Amplifier Output Details

• Output Power / Channel
    100 Watt
  • Output Impedance / Channel
    6 Ohm
  • Frequency Response
    at 1 kHz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
    0.9 %
Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem can be the receiver, and I'm sure that is a limit of the system, but if your more satisfied with other sources, then you "should" get similar results from the dtv broadcasts.

Here's some things to look for/consider:

1) digital output is set to digital surround, not 2ch (you said you checked this already...)

2) dynamic range limiter (may be called drc or something) turn this off of its on... this is supposed to allow you to listen at lower volumes and still hear subtle details in the program (by making less difference between low and loud parts of the program), and is also used to limit volume of commercials that are mixed higher than the regular program- but by limiting dynamic range things won't sound as open and big as they were originally recorded..

3) make sure your watching an HD broadcast- many times non-HD broadcast channels will have audio that is only 2ch, and/or actually re-encoded from an analog 2-ch signal, and will definitely have sub-par quality to pee digital sources.

The digital cable provider (whether att, xfinity, directv, or other...) should not be messing with the audio. They may re-encode the video to preserve bandwidth, but the audio doesn't take much bandwidth in comparison and should just be passed through... so if there's poor quality it will be originating at either the studio and/or the source of the content they are playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, silversport said:

Does anyone use parts or all of a Home Theater set up just for TV...or for TV at all???

Yes I think a lot of us do as you have found out.

I just wanted to make an electrically(or electronically) obvious observation. And reiterate it and emphasize it. You cannot get something for nothing. No one has invented a perpetual motion machine. If a receiver(or amp) consumes 100W of input power the maximum you can get out of it is 100W. And that assumes 100% efficiency.

• Thanks 1

Sure I get that but if it sounds good using a recorded movie but doesn’t when using the TV shouldn’t the problem be the source and not the equipment???

I mean if it’s the equipment that is the issue it should sound just as bad in a DVD or Blu-Ray

I’ve e also noticed some HD channels are only broadcasting 2.0 while others are probably a lower Dolby Digital rather than my preferred DTS

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silversport said:

no, I am saying the quality fidelity does not seem to be there but putting on a DVD or Blu-Ray instantly improves the sound...

I just think the way TV is either compressed or set up for multi channel is so much less than DVDs and Blu-Rays...

I was wondering if I was missing something with the TV...

I am 100% with you on this.  My cable provider is Suddenlink but that is not the big factor.  I feel the HD broadcast signal is heavily compressed, no highs, no lows, very thin sound.  With a touch of a button I can check the incoming signal and see how my AVR is processing it, 5.1 vs Stereo.

My living room TV setup is listed in my Signature, below.

I have compared sound especially BASS in cable TV movies and it is a pale comparison to BD or DVD.  FWIW the sound is better when I use the Set Top Box instead of going directly through my TV which I'm sure has a cheap DAC.

I have The Force Awakens on Blu-ray, and of course it is all over the TV these days with commercials, so I have a direct comparison in sound.  The BD sound is TREMENDOUS, shakes the room,  while the broadcast version is "meh."

My previous anemic setup was:  CABLE --->  HDTV  ---> SPDIF Out ---> Marantz 6011 AVR

My best sound for TV is: Set Top Box --->  Marantz 6011 AVR ---> HDTV

And as you observed Blu-ray blows anything else out of the water audio-wise and it's not even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, babadono said:

If a receiver(or amp) consumes 100W of input power the maximum you can get out of it is 100W. And that assumes 100% efficiency.

You would think that makes sense and it really does, , but with technology you can do great things... every amplifier has capacitors in the power supply that stores energy for quick release when needed, and with today's digital amps, amazing things are possible (look up specs on pro audio brand powersoft K-series amplifiers- no joke!)

But in this situation, each amplifier circuit is capable of producing 100 watts into a 6 ohm load (or less into 8 ohms), but the limiting factor is the power supply. Once the supply runs out of power, the amplifiers get choked and cannot produce any more power, and instead take your nice round sine-like waves and chop the tops off making them square waves- that id what will quickly overheat and burn out speakers... but it will only happen when the amp is pushed past it's limit... at normal listening levels you should theoretically be OK, and if you use a powered subwoofer and set your speakers to small, then your removing the bass content from the amps (bass easily uses the most power) so what amount of power you do have will not be wasted on bass!

Don't let me mislead you, you will benefit greatly from upgrading your receiver, just understand what's happening!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silversport said:

I’m just using L C R...no sub or surrounds in this system Lik

I use L/C/R most of the time (side surround sound freaks me out) and my opinion of the sound is the same, TV sound is thin.  In fact when the sub is added to the TV it makes little difference. 

I should point out I have RF-83's for L/R and three 8" woofers produce plenty of bass for  TV watching, with four 6" woofers in the center.  I don't prefer powerful bass for TV, I like more of an even, pleasing sound level.

I prefer L/C/R for almost everything, unless I want everything my system can give me for a BD movie.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, willland said:

Somewhat but some broadcasts are just horrible.  Too much bass, too loud background noise, over compressed, too quiet, you name it.

Bill

3 hours ago, YK Thom said:

Depends on the program, some shows are just produced better.

This is really true, some are terrible and some are very good.

It just depends, there is no telling until you flip channels, dish receiver and HDMI. When you find a good one even some of the commercials the audio is amazing, sounds crazy I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rebuy said:

I would also be concerned with this very low wattage AVR.

You could damage your speakers with a low wattage AVR.

One hundred watts per channel is NOT low wattage.  This especially is true with Klipsch speakers that need less than 10 watts per channel to reproduce a movie. 

His receiver may be a weak link, but is not likely responsible for his changing sound quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JohnA said:

One hundred watts per channel is NOT low wattage.  This especially is true with Klipsch speakers that need less than 10 watts per channel to reproduce a movie. 

His receiver may be a weak link, but is not likely responsible for his changing sound quality.

Thanks,Silversport and I worked it out.

I read specs for the wrong AVR

• Like 1

listened to a few DVDs last night (several episodes of Band of Brothers) and they sounded very nice...it seems to be the poor broadcast quality of some stations that I listen to...I have noticed on some that the receiver shows 2.0 instead of anything 5.1 or better...

Thanks

Bill