Will Fortes sound better if...?

Fido

I have a pair of Forte 1,s that my late father bought back in 1986. I have upgraded to Crites xovers and Titanium Tweeters and paired them with a large hsu sub. I play these thru a mid range Yamaha 675 receiver and this system sounds great. BUT... I keep wondering if I upgrade my receiver to the top of the line Yamaha 3070 will the system sound even better at any volume level. I know the Forte is a very efficient speaker but have read that a better amp and better power supply and better DAC can make the system sound even better. Any thoughts???? I don't want to drop $2000 if it doesn't actually improve the sound but like many hereI am always chasing audio nirvana. I love the versatility of the Yamaha receivers as I listen to a lot of vinyl, cds, watch TV,  stream Pandora and Spotify etc and you can set presets to go from 2 channel to 7 channel by just changing sources. Any and all advice appreciated.

Going from one yamaha receiver to another one is not going to improve your sound.

That's like asking to be moved from Cell Block A to Cell Block C in hopes of better living conditions.........

Think tubes. Or at the very minimum, a high quality SS amp, if that's yer thing.......

Shakey

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Going from one yamaha receiver to another one is not going to improve your sound.

If you are talking HT, then maybe quite a bit of improvement overall.  For 2-channel only, maybe a slight noticeable improvement.

4 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

That's like asking to be moved from Cell Block A to Cell Block C in hopes of better living conditions.........

Now that is funny.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Think tubes. Or at the very minimum, a high quality SS amp, if that's yer thing.......

:emotion-21::emotion-21:

Nothing beats a high quality dedicated stereo rig for stereo.

Bill

13 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

Most of the time but not always.  Much better if doing 2 channel to move away from receivers.

• Like 1

I'm not an expert on Yamaha AVR's but I have owned one.

I thought it was just OK and I did sell it because I thought it sounded kinda flat and dull.

Right now I use a Denon and to me, it sounds Much Better than a Yamaha.

My Denon sounds more dynamic and lively compared to my Yamaha.

I bought my Denon at Accessories 4 Less so I didn't pay a ton of money.

Different brands do sound different.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Right now I use a Denon and to me, it sounds Much Better than a Yamaha.

My Denon sounds more dynamic and lively compared to my Yamaha.

(snip)

Different brands do sound different.

Agree with all ^^^.

When dealing with good 2-channel sound in solid state Marantz comes up quite often.

Somewhere there is a thread "amps that sound good with Klipsch" or words to that effect.  You might try to search and find it because I think it addressed @Fido questions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

I'd have to disagree with this.  The Yamaha 3070 is a HUGE step up in quality and capability from the 675 that is currently in use.  The OP also mentioned being able to switch to HT, to streaming, to 2 channel, etc, etc.  A straight 2 channel amp is not going to cut it.  However, yes, I would also look at comparable Marantz as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I'd have to disagree with this.  The Yamaha 3070 is a HUGE step up in quality and capability from the 675 that is currently in use.  The OP also mentioned being able to switch to HT, to streaming, to 2 channel, etc, etc.  A straight 2 channel amp is not going to cut it.  However, yes, I would also look at comparable Marantz as well.

I guess it's just a difference in priorities. If one cares more about home theater, bells and whistles, convenience, etc., I guess that's ok. However, if sonics are at the top of the list, another discussion is in order.....

Shakey

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I guess it's just a difference in priorities. If one cares more about home theater, bells and whistles, convenience, etc., I guess that's ok. However, if sonics are at the top of the list, another discussion is in order.....

Shakey

It's not my priorities, it's the OP.  The only receivers I own are vintage, and I am strictly 2 channel, whereas the OP is not.

Thanks for all the input - and it makes me wonder if I need to just add a Macintosh Integrated Stereo Amp instead of the Yamaha 3700 and just use the 675 for TV. I love the convenience of the 675 but cant help but think my setup has potential well beyond on the sound quality that the 675 is providing me. 

If you were trying to get better sound for stereo, add something 2 channel (like the integrated amp you just mentioned) and throw an amp switch on the speakers. This way you can bounce between 2 channel and home theater easily and get the benefits of both. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

If you were trying to get better sound for stereo, add something 2 channel (like the integrated amp you just mentioned) and throw an amp switch on the speakers. This way you can bounce between 2 channel and home theater easily and get the benefits of both. 

+1 to that

George

Any advice on what Amp Switch to buy? I am seriously thinking of going with a high end 2 channel Integrated and keeping the receiver for all the other stuff I'm looking for - This thread has helped me out quite a bit but its probably going to end up costing me a lot of money - lol

The responses were about which receiver/amp to use.  But you also mentioned power supply and DAC at the outset.  I defer to others on the power supply.  For the DAC, there have been discussion in other threads on the DAC question.  I purchased a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and put it in line with my Blue Ray player along with some Goertz silver wire interconnects to a Denon x4300h.  The audio for CD, USB and Bluetooth is much better now on the HT system, and only cost about 1/4 of the price of a new AVR.

The amp switch article  @dtr20 referenced is informative, thanks for that.  As the article suggests, separate speakers if you are going for a tube amp is likely the best way.  I'm currently working on the WAF for an audio only second system that will be tube amp driven.  Leave the HT to the world of digital and take audio to the tube side.