Summer Concerts?

rplace

Seems like they all come crawling out the woodwork this time of year. Especially the old fart bands making one last final farewell tour...till they need money AGAIN. Ok enough cynicism. Got any plans for a new band, old favorites or a festival? Tough to beat live music in my mind. Keep your eyes peeled for Klipsch sightings.:unsure2:

What's on tap?

For me U2 on Sunday and Roger Daltrey on Tuesday. Pretty sure that will be the closest back to back concerts for me.

• Like 1

This reminds me that Pretty Lights came out of his radio silence and is playing 2 shows at RedRocks as his only concerts this year. Supposedly he is still battling some old drug demons. I hope he comes out with the new album soon. Not music for everyone but I have been a long time fan, some have described him as the Pink Floyd of the younger generation.

The only old geezer concert I would be willing to go to would be a Kinks reunion. Always one of my favorite bands to see live, partly due to the unpredictability of the shows, "Kinks Konkers" as their fans are known, would scale paper plates onto the stage with requests written on them. Ray Davies would randomly pick one up and hold it up for the band to see, they would then break into that request.

Given the bad blood between the brothers Davies, Ray & guitarist Dave, as well as between drummer Mick Avory & Dave Davies.  I don't think a reunion tour is in the cards. Other than that most of the bands I care about have enough of my money.

NEW INFO:

Turns out I am wrong on two counts. First Mick Avory is still alive and now The Kinks are going to do a reunion tour after 20 years! That is one concert I will make an effort to see. The Kinks are a great live show with an endless parade of rock anthems. Besides the obvious, You Really Got Me & Lola, there is Waterloo Sunset, Tired Of Waiting, Celluloid Heroes, Till The End Of The Day, Where Have All The Good Times gone, Victoria, Stop Your Sobbing, Alcohol, Sleepwalker, etc.

Go See The Kinks!

• Like 1

So U2, as always, did not disappoint. Sonically and visually top notch. The crowd was a bit lame, but D.C. is often a stuffy crowd.

On the other hand all the wheel chairs, Amigo riders and cane/walker crowd were out in force whooping it up in Philly. I had to be one of the 100 youngest people there and I'm half a century plus. No joke there were some seriously old people up past their bed times and missing from the nursing homes. Roger Daltrey, his band and the Philly Orchestra killed it. They did the entire Tommy album hardly taking a breath. Roger did not stop to talk to the crowd for the entire performance. It was as if all 4 sides of the LP were stacked up and let loose. After he thanked the orchestra and just him and the band played Who are You and Baba O'Riley and a solo song from his latest album. One of the highlights was an almost local (Delaware) girl, Katie Jacoby, playing the violin solo at the end of Baba O'Riley. Turns out she won her high school battle of the bands playing it at 17 and now at 28 she is playing it in all 12 cities on tour with Roger. Check out the below starting around 43 seconds. Simon Townsend (Pete's Brother) was never on my radar but that guy can play guitar.....and sing. Simon is the bald guitar player on the left, the guy Frank on the right is no slouch either. Very fun show. A few cities left, all with local orchestras. Catch it if you can. 

• Like 2

Saw the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta.  Doobie Brothers were virtually perfect in every way.  Well polished.  Steely Dan had a lot of players and sounded great as well.  Played all the old favorites.  They were the main event of course.  Show started with Donald Fagan saying "Sorry my partner couldn't be here tonight".  What stood out was the drummer.  I didn't realize the complicated and energetic drumming on most of those old songs.  The guy had endless energy and was detailed and articulate.

Saw Dead and Company as well just afterward in Atlanta.  John Mayer was fantastic as usual and overall The Dead and Mayer (and Oteil)  just keep getting better.  For anyone that's well versed and really knows the Dead's music, they challenge and tease all night long and do the unexpected.  To the casual concert fan, they are usually oblivious and have no idea what's really going on.  😃  Love to watch the young fans.  I love that their into it and keep this thing alive.  It's amazing I have been seeing these guys play live over and over since 1976.  And once again, sold out in Atlanta as always.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, RT FAN said:

The only old geezer concert I would be willing to go to would be a Kinks reunion. Always one of my favorite bands to see live, partly due to the unpredictability of the shows, "Kinks Konkers" as their fans are known, would scale paper plates onto the stage with requests written on them. Ray Davies would randomly pick one up and hold it up for the band to see, they would then break into that request.

Given the bad blood between the brothers Davies, Ray & guitarist Dave, as well as the death of stalwart drummer Mick Avery, I don't think a reunion tour is in the cards. Other than that most of the bands I care about have enough of my money.

I saw the Kinks and The Cars about 35 years ago....it was a great show.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saw Jeff Lynne's ELO last night. Fantastic concert. Just as I would have expected. Awesome lighting, string section, and an almost unaged Jeff Lynne. Lots of ELO, and a Traveling Wilburys song  ("Handle with Care"). What a treat! Even a floating spaceship-done through graphics, and movers. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, RT FAN said:

Given the bad blood between the brothers Davies, Ray & guitarist Dave, as well as between drummer Mick Avory & Dave Davies.  I don't think a reunion tour is in the cards. Other than that most of the bands I care about have enough of my money.

NEW INFO:

Turns out I am wrong on two counts. First Mick Avory is still alive and now The Kinks are going to do a reunion tour after 20 years! That is one concert I will make an effort to see. The Kinks are a great live show with an endless parade of rock anthems. Besides the obvious, You Really Got Me & Lola, there is Waterloo Sunset, Tired Of Waiting, Celluloid Heroes, Till The End Of The Day, Where Have All The Good Times gone, Victoria, Stop Your Sobbing, Alcohol, Sleepwalker, etc.

Go See The Kinks!

and this father Christmas !