New caps and break in

Shakeydeal

Recapped the AA xovers on the khorns with Bob's kit and now the sound is bright and forward. Some things are better, like the highs. But most recordings are sharp and edgy. I know the old caps were probably rolled off and masking this somewhat. But do these things need some hours on them, or is this just what it is?

Shakey

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Recapped the AA xovers on the khorns with Bob's kit and now the sound is bright and forward. Some things are better, like the highs. But most recordings are sharp and edgy. I know the old caps were probably rolled off and masking this somewhat. But do these things need some hours on them, or is this just what it is?

Shakey

Yep.  Better than the worn out caps I've heard though. 

Dean can speak for himself but here are some of his suggestions... 

http://www.parts-express.com/audiocap-ppt-theta-20uf-200v-film-foil-capacitor--027-724
Not many left but: http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_musicap_speaker.html
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_arizona_blue.html

$16.37 including shipping from Ukraine will buy 4X 2.0uF MBGO caps at e-bay. (KGB made with foil cost more) - these are old caps are to my liking.  The original caps in my Khorns from the early 1980's were "ok" -  I like the MBGO better than Obbligato poly motor run.   FWIW I've heard from a persnickity person that WIMA DC-Link are good - but he only recommends those with 4 -leads.  His system would be single ended low power tube.  Those might be harsh with solid-state (? - I have some 2-lead WIMA DC-link type and could cobble a Type A to find out)

Seriously, change the mid tap from 4 to 3 on the T2A, and change the 13uf to a 6.8uf.  This has been a long standing mod that lots and lots of folks have done and are very pleased with the results.  And, ditch the Sonicaps and get the Audiocap PPT Thetas.

• Like 1

With the all new drivers in my Belle clones, CT120, A55G, and K-33, I first started out with those MGBO caps from the e b a y seller which sounded good but seemed a little too laid back. I ultimately bought all new parts and built new AA crossovers using new 3636's, coils, and Axion caps. I didn't have a lot of listening time on then before I had to put them in storage but that combo sounded great for the money. My upper end hearing isn't what it used to be but they didn't seem too overly bright and the treble on the preamp was set flat. 

11 hours ago, Schu said:

Just get a Xilica and a couple more amplifiers... 😛

So what are you waiting for? :P

I agree, I always thought that the sonicaps sounded harsh, but was never sure as my hearing isn't the greatest for detail.  When I redid my Heresy center, I just went with Dayton 1%, for the cost,  would much rather use them over the sonic caps.  Maybe someday for my Heresys in my 2 channel rig I will use something like the Audiocap PPTs.

I have no issue with the stock drivers and settings in my Cornwalls and Heresys that I use in my living room, which is used primarily for any tv/movie watching.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:46 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

I don't think so.  The Heritage line is not supposed to sound polite, reserved or laid-back.  The are big, forward, in the room and real and are brutally unforgiving of a poor recording, while a good recording will be sublime. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:46 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

On 6/15/2018 at 9:47 PM, Schu said:

Sounds exactly like the crites oem replacement.

I've had the same experience with Crites Cornscala. It wasn't until replaced the xover ( sonicaps) with ALKs uninversal that the speaker became listenable. Is it the caps or just the implementation? Volti uses sonicaps so go figure.