New caps and break in

Shakeydeal

“Granularity” - interesting word. I’m a simple minded fool, so I just use the word “grain” - but yes - that’s it. 

Also, “mechanical”, “contrived”, as opposed to natural and organic - “real”. 

The sound should be rich and full, not incisive, clinical and irritating. 

This place has come full circle.

16 hours ago, Deang said:

“Granularity” - interesting word. I’m a simple minded fool, so I just use the word “grain” - but yes - that’s it. 

Also, “mechanical”, “contrived”, as opposed to natural and organic - “real”. 

The sound should be rich and full, not incisive, clinical and irritating. 

This place has come full circle.

We all like our pizza the way we like it.  For me, the sound should be like it comes from the band when you stand in front of it.  It should sound like live music.  That's why I like Klipsch.

2 hours ago, mark1101 said:

We all like our pizza the way we like it.  For me, the sound should be like it comes from the band when you stand in front of it.  It should sound like live music.  That's why I like Klipsch.

Exactly right. It should sound like the band is in front of you. I don't want warm fuzzy smooth mechanical contrived natural organic I want accurate reproduction. Non of these live bands use $500 fru fru beeswax hermetically sealed caps with silver dust sprinkled on them in any of their equipment you paid so much to go hear.

Actually, they use them in both their amps and instruments.

How many of these type links would you like me to provide?

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?202103-Red-or-Yellow-Jupiter-caps-for-Tweed-build

And why do people continually conflate sound production with sound reproduction - or like to pretend that the quality of a part matters in every other engineering application except audio. Did you even read the data sheet on the previous page?

Anything that costs more than $10 around here is voodoo, fru fru, pixie dust, etc. Some of you just embarrass yourselves.

• Like 3

Word of the day: Fru Fru

good one!

Fru Fru, derived from the phrase spelled "frou-frou" meaning fancy, elegant or very elaborate.
The people in the wealthy section of town shops at all of the fru fru boutiques and stores.
by Urban Dictionary October 24, 2008

Speaker cables costing more than zip cord are fru fru 😂

• Like 1

I put Duelund's in my VRD's. Worth every penny! I put Vcaps in my pCATS, worth every penny! Love Duelund and love Vcap too. Expensive as Hell but if one cannot hear the difference, something is amiss with their hearing. I can say that because my hearing is for Shite but I can still hear the difference.

DSCN2431.JPG

• Like 1

I've had Duelunds (small values are closer to being affordable) as well as Jupiters in the NBS preamp.   I can be very very happy with either but I can't imagine paying the kind of cash required for Duelunds of the values needed for crossovers.    I now have Jupiters in almost all my speakers... no regrets... quite content!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

Those connections are under stress. Redo!

Only appears that way.

4 hours ago, muel said:

I've had Duelunds (small values are closer to being affordable) as well as Jupiters in the NBS preamp.   I can be very very happy with either but I can't imagine paying the kind of cash required for Duelunds of the values needed for crossovers.    I now have Jupiters in almost all my speakers... no regrets... quite content!

Could never afford to do an XO with either cap. Way too costly. I forgot I sent Craig Duelunds and clamps when he built my NBS a few years back.

• Like 1

I have jupiters in my dac cause I wanted that slightly rounded off, warm natural, vintage british sound (& love them)

for the crossovers of my custom cornwalls 

I thought more jupiters might be too much so I went with rike audio s caps (crystal clear & totally neutral) I really think they let the characteristics of the equipment shine thru.

• Like 1

I used to purchase Teflon caps here in Houston. Most were Tex-Caps. Used in high temperature data acquisition ANALOG equipment. Good sound, but steel leads designed to be welded in place and not soldered. 

Some of the surplus Russian Teflon caps are steel lead also. When I searched the  piles of vintage surplus I kept a magnet to check caps and resistors. 

I really doubt most well made film and foil caps sound differently. Even the metalized film and poly are low distortion. 

But the pictures of high end crossovers look very nice.

9 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I used to purchase Teflon caps here in Houston. Most were Tex-Caps. Used in high temperature data acquisition ANALOG equipment. Good sound, but steel leads designed to be welded in place and not soldered. 

Some of the surplus Russian Teflon caps are steel lead also. When I searched the  piles of vintage surplus I kept a magnet to check caps and resistors. 

I really doubt most well made film and foil caps sound differently. Even the metalized film and poly are low distortion. 

But the pictures of high end crossovers look very nice.

Tin plated, or gold plated, steel leads are commonly used for resistors,  diodes, caps, and transistors these days. No big deal.