TV and music

YK Thom

A potentially stupid question: is there a way to have both the TV picture on whilst listening to music? I used to be able to do this years ago although I cannot recall how. These days everything runs through my Marantz 5008 AVR. My wife and I are football addicts and watch just about every world cup match. With some of the lesser matches it would be nice to do both. Same thing during hockey season with company over. I am assuming this has something to do with HDMI connections, or a function within the AVR I am unaware of. Any tips would be appreciated.

• Like 1

not sure with your set up but I can run the TV while the AVR set for CD or DVD (or I suspect AM/FM) listening to music...on my TV there usually is a source to pick in the menu and I leave it on TV (or U-verse in my case) while leaving the AVR (Panasonic SA-XR) on CD or DVD and the Blue-Ray (Opportunity BDP-83) playing the music...

Hopefully my poor attempt helps a bit or at least bumps your question to the top and someone more articulate than I adds their 2 cents... :D

Bill

• Like 1

Well with my OTA setup I just turn on the TV subtiles, mute the TV sound, and listen to FM HD music. Of course there is no sound for the TV program. In other words I don not select the TV viewing from the AVR.

JJK

• Like 1

I've changed the signal chain for my current living room setup so I'm not sure I have the answer to your question.

I used to plug the cable into the TV, then the TV into the AVR via SPDIF cable, audio only.  When setup this way it's easy to turn on the TV and simply change the AVR to the audio source you want, music, etc.

I ran it that way because I used the TV's tuner and I didn't have HDMI out from the TV.  Now I use the setup box and use HDMI into the TV.  I'll experiment with it and see if I can separate the TV signal and different audio source.

Edit:  I'm back from my experiment.  With my current setup where everything starts in the AVR I was NOT able to watch TV and listen to another source such as the radio.

As I said above it was only when the cable signal went IN the TV and OUT to the AVR was I able to watch one source and listen to another.

• Like 2

Thanks wvu80. I have mine set up the same way. I am beginning to think that using the HDMI connection makes picture with different sound sources impossible. I may have to either use a different sort of chain and connection cable or keep it as it is. 

• Like 1

@YK Thom are you trying to hear tv and music from your receiver at the same time or are you trying to just watch a tv and listen to a different source at the same time? If it's the latter, it could possibly be done through the receiver with input assignments. If not, you could always pickup a HDMI splitter so your tv could be used independently from your avr. This splitter takes in 1 signal and outputs it to 2 devices.

Monoprice 108204 Mini HDMI Splitter with 3D Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CR10K2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_DY8kBbZ3P5EBB

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I would get the splitter and just plug from your cable box to the splitter, then one hdmi to the avr, and the other to an open port on tv.

This is what I had to do to get for instance football video on Thanksgiving while listening to music. I remember posting about this same subject a couple years back. What is it that AVR manufacturers don't understand? Remember you're going to have switch HDMI inputs on your TV.

• Like 1