Leaving Amp On.....

SWL

I know you don't want to leave a tube amp on when not in use or connected to the speakers but what about a solid state amp?

I just picked up a Marantz amp recently with the big blue meters and would like to leave it on when I'm listening to my other amps because it just looks too damn cool.

I change amps like a lot of people change their underwear.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, rebuy said:

People change underwear ?

You're giving us a bad name, West Virginia. 

I figured you beat your laundry on a rock down by the crick, jes' like the rest of us.  🦌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the most part I have left my solid state amp on for the better part of years no issues. Always ready to go, I do turn off my pre amp no problem there neither. Choose your poison. 
.....but your ss amp is hooked up to the speakers, correct? I'm talking about if the ss amp is on but not hooked up to any speakers (no load).

1 hour ago, rebuy said:

People change underwear ?

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You're giving us a bad name, West Virginia. 

I figured you beat your laundry on a rock down by the crick, jes' like the rest of us.  🦌

The key word is people..

Speaking in general, my best guess is if you turn your amp/etc OFF it goes into standby, which in almost any modern device means Standby and uses probably less than a watt of power.

If you leave it ON it probably idles at about 16 watts.  If you don't mind paying for the power usage, nothing else is a problem.

In fact most electronics don't like to warm up then cool down.  I imagine if you leave it on all the time it will last longer.

Just now, wvu80 said:

Speaking in general, my best guess is if you turn your amp/etc OFF it goes into standby, which in almost any modern device means Standby and uses probably less than a watt of power.

If you leave it ON it probably idles at about 16 watts.  If you don't mind paying for the power usage, nothing else is a problem.

In fact most electronics don't like to warm up then cool down.  I imagine if you leave it on all the time it will last longer.

Agreed.  I tried standby with mine and the problem is with such sensitive speakers that at low volumes the amp would go into standby on it's own.  I will turn it off when leaving for long periods such as vacations.

I'm sorry, but you leave it on because it looks cool?  For real?  Solid state does not mean indestructible.  Why hasten the process?  Not to mention, why take a chance on a failure when you are sleeping or not at home?  I don't get it.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but you leave it on because it looks cool?  For real?  Solid state does not mean indestructible.  Why hasten the process?  Not to mention, why take a chance on a failure when you are sleeping or not at home?  I don't get it.
Only when listening. I wouldn't leave it on when I'm not around.

I have left some SS amps and other electronics on for years,  with no problems.  Some electronics (not amplifiers) like DACS are supposed to be left on, and it seems to me that few manufacturers warn against it.

However, amplifiers that are heavy current users, like the SS Class A Mark Levinson ML-2, probably should not be left on all the time, and would suffer some wear or decline among some of their innards.  That suggests to me that significant heat-producers should not be left on.

• Like 2