Leaving Amp On.....

SWL

Had it on with no load for about 45 minutes last night then switched back to it.

I read elsewhere that it shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably just leave it off when I switch amps but this Marantz has become my 'go to' amp and will be used most of the time anyway.

Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are multiple theories. Some feel the turn on/off cycle stresses the components. Other are concerned with MHBF and turn off to keep hours down. 

I doubt it makes difference if you swap amps like some do adult diapers. Unless a heat cranking Class A or no playing for a week I leave mine on. 

My current amp gets up to speed very fast. I have had some tube amps that took 10 - 15 minutes to get together. Bias, emmisions, who knows. 

Happy father's day, 

I'm flabbergasted to see that  everyone turn off their amp.how many remove the plug from outlets, or go so far as to turn off circuit breaker. The reasoning behind the act elude me .in cases where lightening could be a factors I'm totally infavor of turning off,and unplugging equipment from source. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, SWL said:

I know you don't want to leave a tube amp on when not in use or connected to the speakers

It depends. Some tube amps will not be damaged if played without a loudspeaker load, a Leslie organ speaker amplifier being a known example. Other tube amps may be damaged if played without a load on the output transformer. The reason I would turn off any amplifier not in use, tube or SS,  is because of heat. Heat is the enemy of all electronics.