Your first?

codewritinfool

My late uncle Bob picked up a full Carver rack system with a pair of forte II's when I was 14 or 15? My recently departed aunt picked up a pair of Chorus 1's almost immediately after with a very similar Carver system she liked his so much. I landed my first Klipsch forte II's a few years later when I was 17. 

• Like 2

I've told my story before but will share again.

It was 1978 and a buddy & I went into Carlon Audio, Fairfield Ohio.  Mosied around like teenager's might do...  saw some speakers that totally befuddled me because I coudln't see how they worked...I just saw a panel of wood (Khorns).

The salesman (Jeff) played them and I was totally awestruck. 

Given that I was 18 at the time and heading off to college....  I realized they were not the right fit for me....too expensive....too big...

Went into the other room and saw another pair.  Pointed at them and said can I hear those??

So he turned on a pair of Heresy's that were about chest height as they were sitting on top of a pair of LaScalas.

Again, my buddy & I were awed on the scale of the sound.  I did however, wonder why a speaker so large was so anemic with its bass??

You see....  I had pointed at the LaScalas and wanted to hear them.  Jeff (the sneaky salesman) knew that but also knew if he played the Heresy's, I (or any sucker customer) would be impressed with them and then floored by the larger speaker)

So, while the Heresy was playing but I was thinking it was the LaScala I was listening to....  my state of confusion must have registered on my face because as I turned to ask Jeff why those huge speakers had so little bass....  I noticed that he was getting a good belly laugh at my expense and his face was beet red.

He commenced to switch over to the LaScalas and again, we were floored with the sound.

We all had a good laugh at my friends and my expense.  As my buddy & I were leaving the store, I patted a LaScala on the top and simply muttered "someday"...  Within a year I went back and ordered a pair.  So today, I have that pair that I ordered & received in 1979.  I would have been 19 at the time.

I already owned a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's that I bought in 1978 so the LaScalas were adding to my stable.  Today, 39 years later, the EV's have been given to my wife's nephew and the LaScalas are buried in my rear wall.

• Like 4

I once asked about someone's Klipsch Quotent....

What percent of your life have you owned your speakers?

LaScalas bought in 1979

2018-1979= 39 years

Currently 58 years old so have owned them 39/58 = 67% of my life.

Indeed, there is hardly (if) anything that I currently own that I've owned as long.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I once asked about someone's Klipsch Quotent....

What percent of your life have you owned your speakers?

LaScalas bought in 1979

2018-1979= 39 years

Currently 58 years old so have owned them 39/58 = 67% of my life.

Indeed, there is hardly (if) anything that I currently own that I've owned as long.

!972 Age 22   46 years

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

!972 Age 22   46 years

So if you were 22 in 72, then today you are (or will be) 68

So 46/68= 67.64% of your life!

(my apologies if my presumptions are wrong)

:emotion-22::emotion-22:

• Like 1

Her name was Lola...

Mid-1990's.  I was in my early 40's.  Had a small living room but wanted something decent. Hit a couple of hi-fi stores and ended narrowing it  down to Mirage and Klipsch. Went with KG 3.5's, awesome speakers for their size and money, and haven't looked back.

• Like 3

I had bought some, for that time, relatively high-end audio equipment while stationed in Italy in 1975.  After I got off of active duty in the Army in June 1976, I ended up working at Klipsch in July 1976, and left Klipsch in September 1983.  At the time I started working at Klipsch, I had a quad system, but generally listened to stereo on it.  I still own every item I brought back with me from Italy in 1976, except the JBL speakers, which I sold off after I bought my first pair of Heresy speakers in late 1977, at the age of 24.  I still have those Heresy speakers, and more Klipsch speakers, too!  I have been listening to Klipsch speakers at home now for almost 41 years.

• Like 1

Let's see. Doing the math..

22(or maybe late 21).

LaScala. At a dance party at a friend of a friend.

LaScala. Oh yea I gotta have me a pair of those. Still got them 41 years later.

So I'm right around that 2/3 rds number.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, codewritinfool said:
  • How old were you when you first experienced Klipsch sound?
  • What model?
  • How old were you when you bought your first Klipsch speakers?
  • What model?

22 yo

Klipschorns, with PWK in his lab

51 yo

Klipschorns, and Cornwall center

Dave

• Like 2

19 yo, 1985 A fellow Army soldier invited some of us to his room, to listen to a Twisted Sister Laserdisc . I didn't understand how that great sound, came out of a tiny little speaker. Heresy.

Later that year in a nightclub, I heard Khorns. I was blown away. I looked at the name and remembered them, and said someday.

1996, got the home theater bug, 4 KLF 10's, center, sub.

2010, Chorus 2.

2011 LaScala.

2017 Jubilee's...

Bingo Bango. I will have a pair of Heresy, Cornwall, and maybe Khorns before I'm finished...

• Like 3

On 6/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, codewritinfool said:

I'm curious... 

1. How old were you when you first experienced Klipsch sound?
  2.  What model?
  3. How old were you when you bought your first Klipsch speakers?
  4. What model?

Prolly 12-13 @ our county fair I saw Brenda Lee using them.

Raw Birch LS

81 Raw Birch LS

Got hooked up w/Infinity and SAE early at dealer cost soooo I almost had to load up.  Finally decided to give in to the Reference Standard EMIM "non availability" issues and went to my first love the LS that I lugged for 9 months when I was a kid...  Now have a pair of oiled walnut 81 Heresy's too that I found...  So who has my 81 Belles hmmmm?  Got a string going and don't wanna break it...  :) 

• Like 1