Your first?

codewritinfool

My buddy came home from his hitch in the Navy, circa 1981(?) with a pair of Heresy 1's and a Yamaha integrated Amp. Best sounding speakers i ever heard. Knew right then I would own Klipsch speakers in my future, I was listening to EPI 90's at the time & still have those. I went to Continental Sound in Queens which was the local Klipsch dealer and audtioned Forte II, when I asked the salesman what was next up the foodchain he showed me the Chorus II in the brochure. I figured if I loved the Forte, I would REALLY love the Chorus II, I ordered them without auditioning them. One of the better decisions of my life.

Picked up the Chorus the same day I was moving into my first apartment. Too bad the elevator was out, my friends carried the Chorus up six flights of stairs into my studio apartment. I am not quite sure burgers at Jackson Hole restaurant and a bottle of champagne for their wives made up for the effort expended. I still have them, freshend up with Crites upgrades, and they still sound wonderful. I can't see ever parting with them.

• Like 3

1977, I was 18. Went with friends to a stereo store and heard Hersey and LaScala and was blown away. Always planned to get some "someday". I went down the path of "build your own" and built several pair of Speakerlab speakers to get that Klipsch sound at a bargain price. Probably built a dozen pair over the years for friends and family. First bought legit Klipsch around 1983 with a pair of Cornwalls that I only had a short time before a buddy "had to have them" in his  bar. Fast forward 20-25  years and four kids in school and speakers took a back seat. Once they were out of college it was time to finally get my Klipsch fix. Started with RB61's but quickly progressed to Belles, LaScalas, more Belles, Hereseys and then more LaScalas. It is definitely a slippery slope.

• Like 2

I'm the baby in this respect.

I heard of Khorns.  The stuff of legend and frankly I thought the guy BSing [he was known to expand the truth] Huh.. Bigfoot does exist

... I bought a pair of R15M's for Christmas ....  Said these are good for entry level ... bought a pair of LaScalas, still in Indiana. I will get them in Sept.

still getting up the nerve to build the MWM bins. That's for fun.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Found Klipsch only about 15 years ago at age 45 when looking for horn speakers, Altec Lansing. Altec was only making computer speakers at the time so I looked for others.

Knowing nothing about Klipsch I bought a set of Synergy speakers for Ht from dealer on the coast, I had 2 Ch speakers already. The 2 Ch speakers I built from a old book I found, horn mid and tweeter and a 15" bass in a ported cabinet.

Strangely after I started looking into what else Klipsch made I found heritage and almost fell off my chaIr when I seen the Cornwall, I jumped up and got a tape measure to find out the speaker my dad and I I built over 15 years earlier was within A 1/2" of a Cornwall and same overall layout. 

Eventually I blew out some of the drivers and thought it was time to look at Klipsch's better models, could be why I don't care for Reference models I was sucked in by Heritage models listening to something similar for many years.

Now I'm done, I have had many speakers over the years and always like the horn/live sound.

• Like 2

26 years old, in Frankfurt, West Germany

Heresy

26 years old, in Frankfurt, West Germany

Heresy

Fast forward 32 years, five children raised, got a pair of  La Scala. Schweeeeet.

Still have the Heresy. They provide tv sound now.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, codewritinfool said:

I'm curious... 

1. How old were you when you first experienced Klipsch sound?
  2. What model?
  3. How old were you when you bought your first Klipsch speakers?
  4. What model?

1. birth

2. a homemade K-horn with Klipsch components.  [My father collaborated with PWK when he was an assistant EE prof. at SMU in the '50s.  When PWK came to Dallas for the day, he'd sometimes stop by SMU to talk to EE department faculty.]

3.  2007 (suffice it to say that I almost invested in Khorns and center Belle in the late 70s when I heard them set up at a Houston hi-fi store.)

4. Jubilees (presently with TAD TD-4002 compression drivers and Xilica XP-8080 crossover).

• Like 3

21 Heresy

25 KG4 Sold them a few years later for $100 less than I bought them for to finance Forte II. Still have the Forte II, boxes, foam corners and receipt (along with at least 20 other indoor/outdoor Klipsch speakers)

• Like 2

1 was 42 when I first heard belles. Couldn't afford them so bought lascalas a few months later. Now have an rc7,pair of cf1s, 2 sub12s, and an rw12d subwoofer. Had a pair of sf1s and sold them. I made myself a promise never to sell any Klipsch again. Love them all