Should Mickelson WD?

ZEUS121996

25 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

If we're talking about gold, you own me.

Golf.  Some people can't spell.  And yeah, when it comes to golf, I think you own me😎

I bet I do have one shot you don't.  I can hit 200 yards with any iron.  That would be 100 yards forward and 100 yards to the right with about a 90 degree slice.  I can't hit the ball straight, probably due to the extreme wrist snap of my racquetball swing.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Agree with that.  I can remember her doing that.  The officials are respected as much or more so by the Staff at Muirfield yet if you talk to them they put their pants on the same way we do.  Fuzzy Zoeller and I used to tell jokes every year.  We had a blast w/everyone.  Cbus legendary TV sports anchor Jimmy Crum used to announce the players on the first tee during the practice rounds.  One day Fuzzy drilled one off the tee and right past Jimmy's head doing the introduction.  EVERYone rolled...  The next day I borrowed a catcher's mask locally and took it down to the tourney in a brown paper bag giving it to JC and telling him to put it on for the intro of Fuzzy that day...  He stopped everything, pulled the mask out and put it on to do Fuzzy's intro.  Talk about dying laffin???  The ENTIRE place was laffin.  Fuzzy couldn't tee off he was laffin so hard...  So yea, they're human and real just like everyone else.    Tourney starts they're ALL business though!

Fuzzy is Fuzzy, he's great to be around. A lot of the players, especially the Seniors, are. Mr. Maltby told me he lost the check for $60K for winning a tournament. Not the big presentation check , the one you cash he was so hammered on Tanqueray.

Tiger changed all of that, now you win 1M+, it changed the game

Mark 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Fuzzy is Fuzzy, he's great to be around. A lot of the players, especially the Seniors, are. Mr. Maltby told me he lost the check for $60K for winning a tournament. Not the big presentation check , the one you cash he was so hammered on Tanqueray.

Tiger changed all of that, now you win 1M+, it changed the game

Mark 

Tiger is Tiger.   ANYone who has the money starting out wanting to win Augusta and buys ALL the previous videos of the course and analyzes how to play it is a smart man.  Yup, he won it...  So be it...  You're right though, now it's ALL about the $$$ yet it always has been.  Side bets are just that...  Side bets...

39 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I can remember ABC bumping CBS outta covering the Memorial.  That lasted until their contract expired and Jack went back to CBS and has never changed.  Fox is Fox!

CBS does a great job, that's why they have the Masters. 

Which reminds me, if you didn't apply for your tickets yet, get your checkbook out, the drawing deadline has passed @jimjimbo

MARK

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Tiger is Tiger.   ANYone who has the money starting out wanting to win Augusta and buys ALL the previous videos of the course and analyzes how to play it is a smart man.  Yup, he won it...  So be it...  You're right though, now it's ALL about the $$$ yet it always has been.  Side bets are just that...  Side bets...

Where did you get that info on Tiger? Interesting, but I don't buy it. He played there before, US Am champion 3 years running (previous 3 years he won the USGA Junior Am) The players generally have an open door. AND he won it in 97 for the 1st time, watching videos won't teach him how to play the course. TV and video give you no idea how hilly the course is, the greens require you to play to spots which you only really learn by playing Augusta, You're right, "Tiger is Tiger, so be it" But hasn't he won there more than once? Did he watch video of his 97 win before he won there again? That is, if he did in fact win more than once.

Mark

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Where did you get that info on Tiger? Interesting, but I don't buy it. He played there before, US Am champion 3 years running (previous 3 years he won the USGA Junior Am) The players generally have an open door. AND he won it in 97 for the 1st time, watching videos won't teach him how to play the course. TV and video give you no idea how hilly the course is, the greens require you to play to spots which you only really learn by playing Augusta, You're right, "Tiger is Tiger, so be it" But hasn't he won there more than once? Did he watch video of his 97 win before he won there again? That is, if he did in fact win more than once.

Mark

Mark,

I heard the info @ Muirfield about the videos and know it to be true.  Soooo, riddle me this...IF you sat down and watched a consecutive series of great players playing Amen corner, seeing their lies and knowing what club they used to get home to the green from a certain spot would it help you?  Regardless of the lie since most hit to the same spot or try to, would it help your game knowing whether to fade or draw the ball to get to the next spot on that hole?  You've played it before but now it's different.  Certainly you would...  He analyzed EVERY hole and had a game plan for the course.   You're in the big time and want to win it!  History for him being the first black player to win the Master's?  ANY player black or white or whatever knows where to hit the ball it's just being able to do so..  So IF you hit to within a 10 yard radius of a "spot" would it help you to see the big picture better?  I'm not and never was a Tiger fan because imo Jack is one of the greatest to ever play the game.  You'd have to research more about his wins there...  I'm not gonna...  That was the word in the press room is all I can tell you.

If that was the case, wouldn't every player be watching video now? 4K and Hi Def  would certainly help today's players.

Mr.. Nicklaus IMO is the best player ever, no questions asked. Why weren't you ever a Tiger fan? If you judge players solely on ability, he has to be close to the top. Speaking of Tiger and maybe I should start a new thread, how badly would they have fried him for the same infraction? Oh, and he won at Augusta 4 times.

Mark

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

If that was the case, wouldn't every player be watching video now? 4K and Hi Def  would certainly help today's players.

Mr.. Nicklaus IMO is the best player ever, no questions asked. Why weren't you ever a Tiger fan? If you judge players solely on ability, he has to be close to the top. Speaking of Tiger and maybe I should start a new thread, how badly would they have fried him for the same infraction? Oh, and he won at Augusta 4 times.

Mark

Agreed, and I'm sure many do watch specific tourney's as far as placement, club selection, etc goes. It's wide-open now to do so...  Every player has their book, which is their history, but Tiger took it to a new level is what they were talking about.  Some writers thought it unfair to watch the vid tape, others said big deal.  Same with players...  I'm thinking it might have been his dad's idea but I'm not sure on that one.  Him being retired military and wanting a "battle-plan."   Saw that he won 4 times, the first in 97 cause I had to look...  :)  I wasn't a Tiger fan simply because I'm a Jack fan and I knew he'd never do what Jack did.  Then again look at how clubs have progressed over the last 100 years...  Hickory, steel, fiberglass,  composite this and composite that?  Fuzzy had a joke one day about someday in the future it would be like a trap shoot...  Point and pull the trigger making your own decisions about how far and where to shoot the ball then having to putt out...  Might happen someday who knows, but at that point in time it was funny as crap...  Tiger was ALWAYS ALL BUSINESS, which helped his focus I'm sure.  Yet most are on the course.  I hope he can come back someday but only time will tell.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Absolutely totally agree.  Joe Buck should be banned from any golf broadcast, and Curtis Strange is a babbling idiot.

Buck is pathetic to say the least...  Curtis is Curtis.  He's ALWAYS been respected by the fans because he asks questions about their family etc.  ALWAYS personable to so many during his career, which gave him a nice following even though he wasn't a "great" player like many others.  Bring in Curtis for the color and let Joe deal w/the facts, which won't EVER work because Buck is terrible...  Totally outta his league! 

IMO, I don't think Phil will catch much heat from the players or the gallery today.  He's respected by all and is totally human.  He's gonna get more atta boy's than anything else because of that.  People relate to him.  Now, WHY am I watching this on TV???  lolol

So watching the US Open today, Phil Mickelson pulls a bonehead move.  He hits a putt downhill, clearly it's not going to stop before rolling off the green into the abyss. So he runs over and hits it back toward the hole while it's still rolling. If you play, you know the rule is you can't hit a  ball in motion unless it is in a body of water with a current. Penalty for hitting a ball in motion is a 2 shot penalty if you go with rule 14-2. Under the rule 1-? you can't do anything INTENTIONALLY to manipulate the ball in play, penalty is DQ. Should he withdraw from tomorrow's round or tee it? He should be DQ'ed IMO after the round. 
If he does withdraw, it's going to suck for his playing partner, he would be playing as a single and waiting on every shot, unless the USGA changes his time to 1st off which they won't do.
Not to discriminate, but if you don't know the rules of golf, please don't jump in and spew the quotes from TV  commentators. Brandel Chamblee is the Skip Bayless of golf, the only difference being Chamblee actually played on the tour and Bayless' position of his HS team was to run on the field after the kickoff and bring the tee to the sideline. That or jockstrap washing after the game or practice.

Mark

I thought I was watching TIN CUP 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Agreed, and I'm sure many do watch specific tourney's as far as placement, club selection, etc goes. It's wide-open now to do so...  Every player has their book, which is their history, but Tiger took it to a new level is what they were talking about.  Some writers thought it unfair to watch the vid tape, others said big deal.  Same with players...  I'm thinking it might have been his dad's idea but I'm not sure on that one.  Him being retired military and wanting a "battle-plan."   Saw that he won 4 times, the first in 97 cause I had to look...  :)  I wasn't a Tiger fan simply because I'm a Jack fan and I knew he'd never do what Jack did.  Then again look at how clubs have progressed over the last 100 years...  Hickory, steel, fiberglass,  composite this and composite that?  Fuzzy had a joke one day about someday in the future it would be like a trap shoot...  Point and pull the trigger making your own decisions about how far and where to shoot the ball then having to putt out...  Might happen someday who knows, but at that point in time it was funny as crap...  Tiger was ALWAYS ALL BUSINESS, which helped his focus I'm sure.  Yet most are on the course.  I hope he can come back someday but only time will tell.

If Jack is humble enough to recognize Tiger's greatness then as a huge Nicklaus fan also, I sure can.

I was at The Masters on Sunday in 86 when Jack won his 6th and new I was experiencing a historic sporting moment.  If healthy, Tiger can and most likely will win another one at Augusta and maybe even another  major.  Will he tie Jack with 18, maybe.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

One of the kids I teach comes from a well off family. They want me to come up with a 10-12 year plan, because his goal is to play in the Masters. He's 9 YO. Who knows if I'll even be around. He's not the only one, most parents are realizing that soccer, softball, etc. is not as easy to get a free ride to college. They do however are learning that scholarships for girls(women) are going unused.  So that explains why 30% of new people coming into the game are women.  

So should I tell them to start watching video of all the potential courses they might play?

Mark

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, willland said:

If Jack is humble enough to recognize Tiger's greatness then as a huge Nicklaus fan also, I sure can.

I was at The Masters on Sunday in 86 when Jack won his 6th and new I was experiencing a historic sporting moment.  If healthy, Tiger can and most likely will win another one at Augusta and maybe even another  major.  Will he tie Jack with 18, maybe.

Bill

I don't think he will get to 18 but he might have a Masters and Open championship. Golf across the way is completely different, he knows how to play and win over there. Mickelson might have a couple of those left in him, it would be interesting to see them play in the final group, although they seem to get along better now. 

Mark

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

One of the kids I teach comes from a well off family. They want me to come up with a 10-12 year plan, because his goal is to play in the Masters. He's 9 YO.

I think that's a pretty cool challenge.  Even if you don't like the parents idea of programming the kid's future they are showing long-term thinking.

I had a neighbor who's young daughter ended up being on the Olympic team.  She used to get up at 5am everyday and go to the pool for two hours before going to school, then she swam after school.

Her dad said he NEVER woke her up to go swim.  He said if she wanted to swim that bad she would have to get HIM up to take her.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think that's a pretty cool challenge.  Even if you don't like the parents idea of programming the kid's future they are showing long-term thinking.

I had a neighbor who's young daughter ended up being on the Olympic team.  She used to get up at 5am everyday and go to the pool for two hours before going to school, then she swam after school.

Her dad said he NEVER woke her up to go swim.  He said if she wanted to swim that bad she would have to get HIM up to take her.

It is a challenge, designing a program that takes into account the growth spurts, girls and everything else that can get in their way. The club is like a safe house for kids. The parents and kids know that someone is always in sight and calling distance. Maybe they don't reach their goal, I can say that the vast majority of the kids end up being better people than players, and some of them can flat out play. I like to think I have a tiny little piece of that. I don't push any of them and tell the parents to let the kids lead, if they want to come out, great, if not, maybe tomorrow...…...

Mark

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Your the head doc, is it really healthy to push the kids in a certain direction? If that's the kid's choice, cool, parents planning out that far IDK. I'm asking Doc, what say yee?

Mark

• Like 1