DQ Tiger?

ZEUS121996

OK, by now if you follow sports, you heard all about Phil Mickelson at the US. Open. He took a 2 shot hit for striking his ball while in motion. What's done is done. Question is, would you fry Tiger Woods for the same penalty and DQ him or just slap him with 2? AND why would you rule the way you do?

Mark

I saw this live (on TV) and could not believe my eyes! VERY disappointed in Phil M and his attitude towards it. I don’t believe mischief in “what if’s”, let alone calling out TW. Every player should be held to the same standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, baron167 said:

I saw this live (on TV) and could not believe my eyes! VERY disappointed in Phil M and his attitude towards it. I don’t believe mischief in “what if’s”, let alone calling out TW. Every player should be held to the same standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not calling him out, I think everyone plays within the rules, the rules can be stretched wide open. That's why the players know the rules and if they can use it to their benefit, they do. If they aren't sure how much to stretch, they call an official. The official makes a decision and it stands. I've never heard of a ruling being reversed even when they admit it isn't the best call.

My point was Phil is the lovable, having a great time, guy.

TW was stone faced, totally focused, and screwed around on his wife when he was at his best.

I could almost narrow this down to before getting caught and after getting caught screwing around?

Mark

That was a Happy Gilmore moment if I ever saw one.  Considering it was a USGA event and not a PGA event, I was a little surprised he wasn't DQ'd since it was absolutely deliberate.  I wonder if they were lenient because the greens were a disaster for most of the tournament?  I don't think TW would have been DQ'd if Phil wasn't.

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

As the head official, I would rule the ball had stopped rolling, and then struck.

No.  The USGA has the obvious video that showed the ball still rolling.  He would not have been DQ on the spot, but after his round, which is what I believe should have happened.  I was a big fan of Phil before this.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

No.  The USGA has the obvious video that showed the ball still rolling.  He would not have been DQ on the spot, but after his round, which is what I believe should have happened.  I was a big fan of Phil before this.

There's no reason not to be a Phil Phan.  A single boneheaded play in the passion of the moment does not negate a lifetime of good work.  Our heroes aren't perfect.  :)

+++

It took me years to gain a more mature perspective on how pro sports are officiated.  I am pretty much a rule book thumper, "the rules are the rules."  We've all seen Michael Jordan take three steps and dunk the ball.  "There's no such thing as a walk in the NBA." 

I never understood NBA reffing.

For the playoffs a lot of the NBA TV broadcasts these days have former pro refs offer commentary.  They admit the superstars get preferential treatment when it comes to walking, fouling or being fouled.  People fill the the seats and tune in to watch superstars play, not to watch referees ref. 

Have you ever seen a Cav's broadcast?  LeBron argues CONSTANTLY the entire game complaining to the refs.  You know how they get him to shut up?  They T-up the coach who's usually standing there on the side line with his arms crossed, saying nothing!  :lol:

This is pro sports, not little league where children learn to play by the rules.  This is Big Time entertainment where millions of dollars in revenue for the sport depend on keeping the superstars on the court, or in the case of the popular Phil Mickelson, on the course.

What changed my understanding of how pro officiating was practiced was one of the aforementioned NBA refs who said the rule book was more of a guideline, and it is the REF ON THE COURT who takes these rules and INTERPRETS how the rule is applied.  In other words, the ref is the rule book.  It's only walking if the ref says it is.

Pro baseball is the same way, although with replay challenges that might be changing in terms of judgement calls.  Remember the phantom double play where the double play was started by a player not coming close to touching second base before throwing to first?  Gone.  But for years the MLB ump WAS the rule book because of his interpretation and judgement.

Golf is pro sport entertainment worth millions.  Little league umps need not apply.