Super MWM

Dave A

• 2 weeks later...

@Dave A   Are you making sawdust yet? We want pics when you can get to them. I'm thinking of going in with my older son to get a tracksaw. He has been able to do some precise compound angles on his table saw but this would be a nive addition to the set of tools he has.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So, Mr. Procrastinator #2, are you makin' sawdust yet? Check your PM.

Hi Mr Time Enforcer. You know you blew it when you could not make it down here and that gave me time to do all kinds of other things instead. Yeah I am making small piles of sawdust. Using that 1" baltic is a PITA though as my forklift is out for repairs that are taking too long and it is hard to move these on my own. Supposed to have work resume on the forklift this coming Wednesday.

Does Tweeter dust count?

I am going to put removable handles on the outside of these as it is a two man job to pick them up. Figure around 280 to 300 pounds per.

So who is Mr. procrastinator #1?

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I am going to put removable handles on the outside of these as it is a two man job to pick them up. Figure around 280 to 300 pounds per.

Might as well add another 80 per and fabricate a foot-pedal-actuated set of casters to lift them up for rolling-around purposes instead.  That way you can simply roll them onto the lift-gate of your truck when you need to take them somewhere.  One-man operation.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:48 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

60 x 60 x 21. Initially I forgot to add the extra volume of air in the sides of the core section. This yields less of a dip between 45-70 Hz. Black is K43, gray is Crites 1526C.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread.  A quick question from a noob (who has never heard any variant of these type of bass horns) - How far away do you want to sit from these?   Meaning how big of a room does someone need for super MWMs, regular MWMs, your quarter pies, etc?

1 minute ago, tom1066 said:

I have really enjoyed reading this thread.  A quick question from a noob (who has never heard any variant of these type of bass horns) - How far away do you want to sit from these?   Meaning how big of a room does someone need for super MWMs, regular MWMs, your quarter pies, etc?

My MCM1900's are maybe 10" apart corner to corner and when I am just listening and not working and listening I sit maybe 12 feet away. So as far as I am concerned a room 22' x 20' is  large enough. I had them 6' apart when I first had them and the extra 4' really made a huge difference. The thing most people who have never heard these think is they are to big and have to be played loud to sound good. Truth is they sound amazing at low volumes too and do so in more rooms in houses than you might think.

18 minutes ago, Dave A said:

My MCM1900's are maybe 10" apart corner to corner and when I am just listening and not working and listening I sit maybe 12 feet away. So as far as I am concerned a room 22' x 20' is  large enough. I had them 6' apart when I first had them and the extra 4' really made a huge difference. The thing most people who have never heard these think is they are to big and have to be played loud to sound good. Truth is they sound amazing at low volumes too and do so in more rooms in houses than you might think.

Thanks - I need to go home and measure.  Not that I have the top end to go with something like this (yet) but its on my radar, always looking for the next step.  And from all the good things I read about these type bass bins with the big 402 horn, it might be the final step.  

Lynnville is only 150 miles from me.  Once these are finished I wonder if I will be able to hear them from my basement in Birmingham.  I hope so.

Edited by tom1066

2 hours ago, tom1066 said:

My MWM stack was in my basement about 12 ft. apart in a 24 deep room. My Quarter Pies were about 12 feet apart. In both cases, I sat about 10 feet back.