Super MWM

Dave A

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Are you done cuttion all the parts?

Everything but the motorboards and front side pieces. I have some metal to cut  for a few days so the mill is not available for wood to cut the motorboards  right now. Also have to get my forklift back from being repaired. The engine head is off and being machined from a gasket leak so I hope one day next week it might be fixed. I am going to need it to lift it off the table. I will be able to assemble it all from one side though so once I can get the motorboards cut it will be time to move on. I also have to get one more sheet of 25mm Baltic. Sad to say I fall just short of having wood for the four front side pieces. I figured there would be enough with six sheets but no. All in all these will consume roughly 6 sheets of 25mm and two sheets of 18mm. In retrospect these 25mm sheets are overkill but I am making these to be my end all be all so I don't care. If I were doing it again they would be from 18mm. Calculated weight with speakers is right at 338 pounds per. I have no problem tilting these or lifting one end up by hand to put on a dolly but getting them off a table 38" high? No way.

It will go fast once my forklift is back.

By the way. The track saw is sure the way to go. More than accurate enough for this kind of work and beats the heck out of muscling big sheets of plywood around on the table saw. Thanks for the track saw tips guys.

That jig looks interesting but for this project I am going to use 1" x 1" corner pieces and screw and glue.

• Like 1

Dave.

When I was making heavy boxes or working with engine blocks on my work bench and if I could not get my engine hoist close to my table. I would nail some 2x10’s to side side of the table and slide the block or box off the table. My work bench is about 32 to 36” high and I would use 6 foot boards or what ever length that would work for the sliding it down to the floor or floor cart for moving it around the shop

Just a thought if your at a point and waiting for the forklift to get back home to your shop

I am not in a super hurry to finish and can wait. I want them done at least a month before the pilgrimage so I have time to dial them in right but other than that as long as forward progress is happening I am happy. Others however are welcome to come help if I am not fast enough😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Turbox said:

MWM, 402 with 1133, 510 with k69 for three way

MWM, 402 with 1132

Correct?

What about crossover frequencies?

As low as possible without damaging the compression driver. Fortunately the 1132 is very rugged, so could cross at 400..........maybe, I'd have to do measurements. The 1133 crossed at 320 Hz. on my 3-w Quarter Pie horn stack with K402's.

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hoorayy my forklift is being reassembled and work resumes soon on the supers.

If you're at a point in your life where you need a fork lift to work on your speakers, you might have a bit of a problem.:P

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If you're at a point in your life where you need a fork lift to work on your speakers, you might have a bit of a problem.:P

Not if you look at the FACTS about horns, which is: "The bigger the horn, the better the horn." The MWM was the best/biggest bass horn, by Klipsch,  I've ever owned (9 LaScalas, 4 Khorns, 2 Jubilees, 6 MWM's, (plus 2 Quarter Pies of my own design based on MWM)). The K-402 is the biggest horn by Klipsch that takes care of 300Hz to 20 Khz, and the UNIDISPUTED Champion of Mid/Tweet Horns. So if you can afford the space to make a 9 ft. long version of an MWM, vs. 6 feet, then by all means, no sub is required for music!!

Besides, they can be built on the floor instead of a bench, but you will need knee pads, and 4 people to flip them over. LOL.

4 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I found a huge improvement by adding the midbass module.  Either 305, 308, or preferably the older XII which to me sounded better than the 305.  I cross my system at 300, 600, 6000.

Not when you want only a 2 or 3-way. Besides, why did you try to sell your Mid-Bass if it's so vital to your setup??

15 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not when you want only a 2 or 3-way. Besides, why did you try to sell your Mid-Bass if it's so vital to your setup??

I didn't try..........I actually sold them.  The 305s.

Why...........because I replaced them with a set of used JWC XII modules.  

• Like 1