Super MWM

Dave A

Got both of them running tonight and I can only imagine what these will be like dialed in.

1 hour ago, glens said:

Dave, in case you're unfamiliar with that recording I mentioned, I found this.  Speaking of the CD pressing, they say "And if anyone can assemble a system that will reproduce those sounds cleanly, and without attenuating their low end, I would not at all be surprised to hear about broken windows."

I will get that and let you know. I have a copy of the 1812 but not a very good one.

9 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Got both of them running tonight and I can only imagine what these will be like dialed in.

I will get that and let you know. I have a copy of the 1812 but not a very good one.

I have had that on CD for years. It has been around since 1984, when I was still an AES member. It was recommended to me an engineer who used it to set up subwoofer levels. My system handles it quite well, even better when I build my Super Tapped Horn for the rear with it's Twin 12" Monster TC sounds drivers. But I'm sure if will work very will with the Super MWM.

Dave I am running 2 Danley dts 10’s (just babies in comparison to your monsters) but I have had some fun finding music infused with low frequencies. I know probably not your kind of music, but for some room shaking lows check out :

Linkin Park

Frgt/10

Question: I using a Behringer NX6000D with dsp

amp. Would you recommend a different amp ?

Whether they are the best or not I don't know but I have migrated to all Crown commercial amps. The best consumer amp I ever had was an Integra 50.4 which had the power needed for most things out there but I did not like the sound nor the Audessy room EQ thing. I know nothing about that Beringer but DSP is the way I am heading. Chris A and Claude both recommended the Xilica over the rest for DSP so what I am personally going to do is two Crown xli800's and the Xilica XP3060 and feed it all from my Workstation.

I did get a DBX Driverack Pro from a buy a month ago and bought the mike that goes with it for room EQ. They can be had for $200 used + microphone and it worked in my environment better than the Integra did.

Here is one for you. Miniman "Praises to the King"

I'd really recommend the miniDSP 2x4 HD instead of the Behringer DCX2496: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4NWRNM/.  I've got a 2x4 HD and it seems to work extremely well on the surround channels (Belle bass bins, AMT-1 midrange-tweeter two-way).

The Behringer has noted sound quality issues in its analog sections that make it much less desirable as an alternative.  See: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/237603-dcx2496-upgrade-board-objectively-tackling-improvement-stock-dcx2496.html

Chris

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

Whether they are the best or not I don't know but I have migrated to all Crown commercial amps. The best consumer amp I ever had was an Integra 50.4 which had the power needed for most things out there but I did not like the sound nor the Audessy room EQ thing. I know nothing about that Beringer but DSP is the way I am heading. Chris A and Claude both recommended the Xilica over the rest for DSP so what I am personally going to do is two Crown xli800's and the Xilica XP3060 and feed it all from my Workstation.

I did get a DBX Driverack Pro from a buy a month ago and bought the mike that goes with it for room EQ. They can be had for $200 used + microphone and it worked in my environment better than the Integra did.

Here is one for you. Miniman "Praises to the King"

Go with a Crown itech the difference is large on subs compared to the XTI's 

37 minutes ago, kg4guy said:

I second this. I've compaired alot of amps on my mwm and Jube bass bins, the itech easily bests all the amps I've Compaired it to for bass.

4 hours ago, kg4guy said:

To late I own the xti's. There is plenty there to satisfy my needs and this setup does not require much power.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, Dave A said:

Say you don't happen to have a good rocket or jet engine or helicopter recording do you? Wonder what artillery would sound like heh heh.

I've got an "original" recording of Apollo 11 blasting off back in 1969.  Dad took myself and the son of another friend of his down to watch it.  Took a little hand-held portable cassette player with us and Dad played (the dramatic) TV interviewer a bit....

None the less, some idiot (that would be me!) turned it on during lift-off and don't you know....  it picked up the sound!

Decades later, Dad called, said he was cleaning out some closets and sending me some stuff.....that was in there.  Knowing how old it was, I didn't try anything with it.....I immediately sent it to someone (forget who) who was into tape restoration (or so he said)  None the less....  sent it out and they copied it over to a CD so now, I have that recording in digital format....It's a WMA file

If you can get past the giddy 9 year old who's making a fool of himself as 9 year olds might do (ahem, that would be me again)....  it's pretty damn impressive to hear that thing take off.  It will literally shake your room.  Feel free to crank it up for me!

I'm trying to upload it but, it's a 12 meg file....  I'm doubtful that it will work.

I can email it perhaps (?)

Oh, and if you can get past the gigging 9 year old, there is more on the tape.....  a VERY exciting pool game...  you can hear someone (ahem, probably me) hitting the cue-ball, it hits something else.  Don't recall if you can hear the pockets or not (had ball return) and you hear some 9 year old chatter.  Again, I don't recall what BUT, it will clearly put you to sleep.  Clearly I was not very creative in my recording skills!!

In the background???  You can hear my very first stereo playing!  It's not blaring but it was a Yorx or something like that.  Had some Superscope speakers that were 2-way.  BUT, I went to Radio Shack and as an experiment, bought a midrange driver.....drilled a hole in the cabinet & screwed it in.  I then went to that funny batch of wires inside it....took two of the wires (probably those going to the existing tweeter) and as I recall, snipped them and added this one in, over & above the existing.

That was my attempt at converting this 2-way Superscope speaker into a 3-way....after all, MORE ways was better than fewer ways!

The music playing in the background?  as I recall, was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Yeah, at 9 years old, I was already corrupted!!

Looking like this file is going to take?  I typed above while it was evidently uploading.

Damn, looks like it worked??~!!!!!

Apollo_11.wma

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

That's an understatement.

I had a friend over who wanted me to crank the MCM 1900 up as loud as my 200 WPC would do. So I got my hearing protection out and turned it up all the way. I will not do that with this set and if I ever do use those amps wide open it will be with these bad boys outside. It is a different ball game. My friend asks me to do the turn them all the way up thing on these I will refuse.

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

I had a friend over who wanted me to crank the MCM 1900 up as loud as my 200 WPC would do. So I got my hearing protection out and turned it up all the way. I will not do that with this set and if I ever do use those amps wide open it will be with these bad boys outside. It is a different ball game. My friend asks me to do the turn them all the way up thing on these I will refuse.

To those non believers out there. If you look at how loud this thing get with only 8 watts (see my curve above), you would need to check your sanity. 8 watts is a little bit less than 10 dbWatts, so if you add this to the 106 db/watt efficiency of the S-MWM horn, you get 116 db of output. Now add the other channel for an extra  3 db, and you get 119 db of output at 1 meter. You are already in the "stupid loud" category. PWK always said that all you needed was 1 good watt for a Khorn. His famous "5 watt amplifier" comment was to give 17 db of head room for Symphony recordings, since most time, a Khorn only used 10 MILLIwatts!! Also this math is based on Zero room gain in the reverberant field, which is always present in a real room. 200 Watts is 24 dbWatts, which WILL take you to 133 db of output with these horns. I don't think I'd want to be closer than 1/4 mile from the building without ballistic protection for my ears if that ever happens!!

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I don't think I'd want to be closer than 1/4 mile from the building without ballistic protection for my ears if that ever happens!!

Given your implication of having some....  can you tell me where to buy it so when my wife is talking to me......

:ph34r:

(I again, am SO going to burn in hell for that!)

On my MCM, I have a MAC 206 (6 channel amp) driving the 510, 402, and XII on both sides with 120 wpc each.  Then, 900 wpc on the MWMs, and 550 wpc on my 684 subs (with QSC PLX2 amps).

But..........I don't play it very loud.  Still I found having this kind of power brings out an extremely clear and authoritative presentation from all I have tried over the years........and I have had many different configurations.  So although the power may not be required, I find there is still a good reason in what to consider powering your Klipsch with.

• Like 1

I will be picking up a pair of MWM bins within a month. No trim and no handles... these are a pain to move as I have already moved them once. This time it will be to my house. Two k43s on each side...

Bruce

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark1101 said:

On my MCM, I have a MAC 206 (6 channel amp) driving the 510, 402, and XII on both sides with 120 wpc each.  Then, 900 wpc on the MWMs, and 550 wpc on my 684 subs (with QSC PLX2 amps).

But..........I don't play it very loud.  Still I found having this kind of power brings out an extremely clear and authoritative presentation from all I have tried over the years........and I have had many different configurations.  So although the power may not be required, I find there is still a good reason in what to consider powering your Klipsch with.

I agree with that and it is why I went to all Crown over the Onkyo, Dennon and Integra I had before. I am going to stay with what I have since there seems to be plenty of power. Keeping in mind I am running it as a stereo system right now with one amp and crossovers. When I switch to bi-amp and two amps I will have tons of headroom. I have yet to put more than 1/2 of one amp's output to work on this system and it was already to loud for comfort at that point.