Super MWM

Dave A

12 hours ago, Dave A said:

The problem with Xilica is the terrible documentation. Once you have someone walk you through it then you can figure it out from there since there is logic to where you will find what you need.

He helped me set up the Xilica today with inputs and outputs with the entries needed to at least get going. I still have to get internet out there so we can look at doing REW but for now I can finally get to that point.

Progress is slow but sure. Whatever it takes, it will be 100X faster than it took you and I to evolve this design and for you to tangle with all the lumber!!

That's not very safe... to much of a possibility of ground loops. If you get this I'll send you 2 gigabit to fiber adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Multimode-150-ft-N320-46M/dp/B000M7SVCK/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?keywords=150+ft+fiber+optic+cable&qid=1557188375&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Also less of a problem for lightning to take out equipment.

Bruce.

While that would be better for a permanent solution, I was thinking primarily along the lines of just laying it on the ground as an interim solution.  Don't see how any ground loops could form since the router is going to be using a wall wart for power, and likely so is the laptop in the shop.  

2 hours ago, glens said:

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

That's not very safe... to much of a possibility of ground loops. If you get this I'll send you 2 gigabit to fiber adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Multimode-150-ft-N320-46M/dp/B000M7SVCK/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?keywords=150+ft+fiber+optic+cable&qid=1557188375&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Also less of a problem for lightning to take out equipment.

Bruce.

This is to be a purely temporary one day solution with my laptop. Nothing in the shop is allowed online.

56 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Such a task master.......Do they get a drink of water once in a while?

Well of course! 8oz once in the morning and afternoon on their 5 minute break and 16oz on their 15 minute lunch hour. Entirely too much trouble and expense to hook up the gravity flow spring to waste all that water for no reason.

While I doubt more than a couple of people will ever build these I thought I would discuss cost to do so. A track saw will work so if you don't have one figure about $850 Festool with 96" track.  $600 appx wood. $82 one gallon duratex. Air nailer if you don't have one $185.00.  I used two John Allen single MWM bin woofers but a K-43 will work just fine or a K-33. Figure another $250+ on this. I had some 1132 drivers on hand from past buys and was given a real deal on a set of 402 horns. Knowing what I know now if I could not find a used set of 402's with drivers I would buy this new from Klipsch. They are worth it for the sound they produce and finding these used requires real diligence and a degree of luck. Two Crown xli's $450.00 Slightly used Xilica xp3060 $700.00.  Your time and some buddies to help you if you don't have a forklift.  I had those 1132 drivers on hand but they came with a buy that was an 1800 mile round trip so there was an expense I don't care to try to figure it out.  The woofers came from a trip to St Louis so while I paid $50 each they cost more. The 402 horns were dirt cheap but a 500 mile round trip to get. I place no value on my time to design and build. I figure it was around maybe $3,500 cost to build not counting trip costs which were often combined with other things I was buying.  You decide to just do it with new parts and I think $6g would more than cover it and get it all delivered with no trips.

At the very least the lesson learned here is no matter what I end up with in the future it will have a 402 on top of it. Horns rule and there is no substitute that will equal them.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Can you post a couple pics of the finished cabinets here? I know you put one in the HT thread, but this would be a good spot to show them off. Pretty slick.

Bruce

That was an attempt at humor. But sure and to add to it I am starting a collection of brown speakers.

Designer Brown Sound.jpg

Home Theater.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, glens said:

I thought you said you had a forklift.  Bottom of that opening about belly high would've eliminated having to get up off the floor and likely easier beyond that.

I can handle it and easier than moving things around to get a fork lift under them again.