Super MWM

Dave A

1 hour ago, jwc said:

using 1133 mid?

Cross at 300-400

Two way system with 1132 drivers on the 402

54 minutes ago, jwc said:

"EQ tinkering".  Can you give us an idea of the settings?

You bet when I get somewhere worthwhile. What I did with my attempt last night sounded worse than what I did fiddling by ear.

OK.  Well not 300 Then

Running curves can be a pain........ so hope the requests done overburden you.  Can we see Bass bin alone with no EQ?  Is this in a corner with a high ceiling?

By the looks of the curve, looking like the horn loaded benefits are wearing off after 300Hz and after 400Hz, may just be a 15" in a sealed box.

6 hours ago, jwc said:

OK.  Well not 300 Then

Running curves can be a pain........ so hope the requests done overburden you.  Can we see Bass bin alone with no EQ?  Is this in a corner with a high ceiling?

By the looks of the curve, looking like the horn loaded benefits are wearing off after 300Hz and after 400Hz, may just be a 15" in a sealed box.

OK all EQ and PEQ in Xilica and Windows Media Player EQ set to default (0) all the way across. Smoothing is default setting in RTA. Crossover is 400 for 402's and 450 for SMWM's

all four.JPG

Home Theater.JPG

14 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK all EQ and PEQ in Xilica and Windows Media Player EQ set to default (0) all the way across. Smoothing is default setting in RTA. Crossover is 400 for 402's and 450 for SMWM's

all four.JPG

Dave, if you can export the data from TrueRTA into a text format, I can help with creating an updated .xdat preset file that you can import into XConsole and then your Xilica to EQ a little more flat.  If you can also export your current "presets" file from XConsole (in .xdat format), I can use that as a starting point to update your current settings. 

Text files are very small and can be easily emailed or posted via a PM--so you don't need a high speed connection to do that.  The small gap in SPL at the crossover region is very easily addressed with the Xilica.

Chris

I am actually pretty impressed with the 1132 from a measurement standpoint.  I saw some of Dave's measurements not posted here.  It has good extension in both directions.  No radical peaks.  And both measured almost the same.  Not bad.  I never heard those though.

By the way this last plot shows that classic 402/driver hump from around 600-4K.

Edited:  I noticed the crossover was already lowered to 400 on the 402.  Seems to hang in there pretty well.

2 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Edited:  I noticed the crossover was already lowered to 400 on the 402.  Seems to hang in there pretty well.

I have a question in to Roy to see what the lowest safe crossover point for the 1132 is. I can't find any definitive answer for lowest crossover point on these and if someone knows I would appreciate finding out.

390hz seems to be as low as the 402 crosses over on any current cinema speaker. What I have been told is the lower you can make the 402 work before you hand it off to the bass end of things the better off you are. I am thinking 400hz is OK for this driver but maybe not any lower. Another thing I am thinking of is this Eminence Kappa-15C  has a good reputation as a replacement for the K-33 which should work just fine where the k-43 does since they work interchangeably in LS's.

Dave, the choice of crossover point (and steepness) depends on a number of things: 1) well behaved amplitude and phase response of the two drivers/horns, 2) keeping the driver(s) out of a range where distortion(s)  gets comparatively high, and 3) crossing at a region where the two have comparable dispersion.

Some folks ignore the second as not being terribly critical, it's your call. Some folks are quite concerned about the third issue (it certainly makes the fine tuning of the crossover easier, IMO). All of these are best judged after doing some measurements ahead of time. The polars can be difficult to measure, fortunately some of those data are floating around the forum for the K-402.

Good luck,

-Tom

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

Dave, if you can export the data from TrueRTA into a text format, I can help with creating an updated .xdat preset file that you can import into XConsole and then your Xilica to EQ a little more flat.  If you can also export your current "presets" file from XConsole (in .xdat format), I can use that as a starting point to update your current settings. 

Text files are very small and can be easily emailed or posted via a PM--so you don't need a high speed connection to do that.  The small gap in SPL at the crossover region is very easily addressed with the Xilica.

Chris

I will work on doing this later today and thanks in advance for the help.

1 minute ago, PrestonTom said:

Dave, the choice of crossover point (and steepness) depends on a number of things: 1) well behaved amplitude and phase response of the two drivers/horns, 2) keeping the driver(s) out of a range where distortion(s)  gets comparatively high, and 3) crossing at a region where the two have comparable dispersion.

Some folks ignore the second as not being terribly critical, it's your call. Some folks are quite concerned about the third issue (it certainly makes the fine tuning of the crossover easier, IMO). All of these are best judged after doing some measurements ahead of time. The polars can be difficult to measure, fortunately some of those data are floating around the forum for the K-402.

Good luck,

-Tom

It's all new to me so I have to figure out what is the best practice for my specific setup.

4 hours ago, jwc said:

Looks better than I expected. Good low end considering the position these speakers are in.

The base cabinet doesn't appear to produce horn loaded material after 300 Hz

That was predicted by the model in hornresp. It's tough to get more than a full decade in a horn, as you know.

51 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

That was predicted by the model in hornresp. It's tough to get more than a full decade in a horn, as you know.

Post that model (the one you are referring to) again will ya?