Super MWM

Dave A

On 10/16/2020 at 11:39 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, it's called a Quarter Pie, since I designed that and the Super MWM. The quarter pies uses roughtly the same corner space as an FH-1 and is flat to 50 Hz. instead of 90. It's only a 90-135 degree single fold but I never used it past about 300-400 Hz. Very easy build.

ClaudeJ1,

that Q.Pie looks pretty intriguing to me so I am starting to seriously consider it or a variation of.

Questions:

What is the horn flare rate/type? Is such a fast opening profile necessary or just for ease of building?  I ask because I don't have my mid horns in the corners so the Q.Pies would be pulled out into the room, right underneath the mids, where the FH1 is now (potentially, just visualizing at this point). 

What driver/horn/crossover type did you use above the Q.Pie?

thanks!

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

And conveniently uses a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and bottom.

Almost like a plan isn't it. The length may vary depending on what Claude has to say. I don't want the top end of the horn to be below where I need to crossover.

• 7 months later...

As soon as I get a construction/building/office built, I will.  Just trying to get by until the market settles out so I'm not $50,000 to deep into the build.  Currently, trying to work with what I have, doesn't leave room for the sets I already own.  

21 minutes ago, Pete H said:

As soon as I get a construction/building/office built, I will.  Just trying to get by until the market settles out so I'm not $50,000 to deep into the build.  Currently, trying to work with what I have, doesn't leave room for the sets I already own.  

Room is an issue for me as well.  I'm tapped out with the relatively small space I have for toys at home.

I bought 2 drivers (eminence kappa 15c) for a super MWM build. Felt I could do a decent job after what I learned from the pair of f20 subs that I built. As typical with life, I’m trying to finish a degree and we’re finishing our basement for extra living space. Hoping to do a build this fall/winter. Already running the K402’s on Peavey FH-1’s.. I’m halfway there!

On 6/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, CECAA850 said:

I'm tapped out with the relatively small space I have for toys at home.

You could point them out your garage door... at the neighbors.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Hi Dave A,

is there any chance you could test the Super MWMs with the B&C DCX464 and ME464 in near future?

That would be really helpful for those that can not get their hands on K-402s.

Klipsch will sell you complete 402 setups all day long plus they will be the latest version with different phase plugs than the old ones you might find used. At least this was true with the 1132 drivers I have and yes the new phase plugs made a real improvement. The diaphragm will also be new and yes that matters more often then you might think buying used. There is no way the 20 year old 402's typically found used will sound as good as the current new offering, in my experience. YMMV

Today if I was building a new S-MWM and was going to use the K-402 I would buy a new set and be done with it. If I were overseas where 402's are stupid expensive because of governmental imposed import fees  I would use the B&C offering.

Unless you have a commercial account with B&C I don't think buying the DCX and ME will save you any money over the K-402 horn-driver-base set which you can also order all day long from Klipsch. Yes I have a set here to try on the S-MWM's as people keep telling me three ways are supposed to be mo bettah. The 402 has a long history of approval and works with more than one driver. B&C will sell you just horns which is a consideration and a crossover to go with the DCX and ME combo but will not do a three way passive. Klipsch will sell you a crossover for the  402 + Klipsch of your flavor also which will power the complete setup..The 402 set will come with a stand the B&C will not. The ME is smaller so if space is a problem that might be a consideration. The 402 is for 2" drivers or drivers with a 1'4" to 2" adapter. The ME is for 1.4" only. The B&C setup has huge output you will have to step on pretty hard to not overwhelm your bass section. The 402 has output that is a closer match to most bass bins out there. Check out the  LF to HF ratio on the 942's

942-4-B.thumb.JPG.ff0ae20ca64d225298b499cd5ad6786c.JPG

1454259956_9422.thumb.JPG.9d1f39e656650ba22e197f65c5fd57ad.JPG

Now if this is true in general for all HF vs LF (+ MF too in this case) power consumption ratios look at the  DCX specs.

548549726_BCDCX-464.JPG.521bba6308d755d6322f7d7230991956.JPG

The complete Klipsch setup is basically the same money as the complete B&C setup. There is no cheap way to get that big horn sound and you are going to pay in time to build something or time to buy known correctly engineered and built things or maybe get super lucky and find used  which is a problem many never solve.. Perhaps the biggest difference between the B&C offering and Klipsch's is B&C will sell you individual components since they are not in the business of selling complete speaker builds.

No I did not post this Klipsch screen capture twice. The edit will not allow me to remove it that I can see either so it is what it is.

942 2.JPG

• 6 months later...

Great job Dave and thank you and Claude for sharing and educating the forum on the possibilities available. After following your efforts here on the impressive Super MWM design, and Claude’s impressive Quarter Pie design, I’ve noticed that both designs could be cost efficiently built using 5’x5’ Baltic birch sheets for the same 60”x60” x 21” footprint (Super MWM  vs Super Quarter Pie).

I have been seriously considering building Claude’s Super Quarter Pie, but given the same dimensions and materials, if someone had the room for that 60”x60”x21” footprint, which one should they build? Obviously, the Super MWM goes lower, but are there advantages to both in the same footprint?

• 7 months later...