Super MWM

Dave A

20 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Man the mouths on those things are big. I like the matching lascalas too.

The extra height happened to be part of a Maximum Material Usage Parameter that Dave and I worked out, which, otherwise, would have been scrap.

The resultant, taller cab/bigger mouth, than a Klipsch MWM modeled a little bit better in Hornresp, which made the choice a no brainer. Since the goal was trying to squeeze as much bass out of a single driver below the 45 Hz. cutoff from a Klipsch MWMs,

I think we have succeeded and perhaps even EXCEEDED the goal based on Dave's comments concerning "shaking things around the shop," with low frequency sine waves. LOL.

• Moderators

I hate climbing my big butt in those things even just to dust but staining and oiling were terrible. Staining the inside was terrible, I lost many brain cells breathing the fumes, I didn't have a good respirator and of course, didn't want to wait. Can't afford to waste any brain cells at this point some just gave up because of all the years of abuse.

They look really open but when it comes to getting to the back it's really a fight, especially where your old and don't bend so well, but I do love the sound of the originals, never heard that version. 

7 hours ago, dtel said:

I hate climbing my big butt in those things even just to dust but staining and oiling were terrible. Staining the inside was terrible, I lost many brain cells breathing the fumes, I didn't have a good respirator and of course, didn't want to wait. Can't afford to waste any brain cells at this point some just gave up because of all the years of abuse.

They look really open but when it comes to getting to the back it's really a fight, especially where your old and don't bend so well, but I do love the sound of the originals, never heard that version. 

A little fan blowing out on the other side would have spared you that problem. Duratex not so bad.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Marvel said:

At least his are a couple inches taller than yours... so there is a ltle bit more room.

It does look taller now that you said that.

50 minutes ago, Dave A said:

A little fan blowing out on the other side would have spared you that problem. Duratex not so bad.

Probably so, it was just stain but still is pretty strong when you're using that much.

I can't believe you grown men are talking in extreme public about huffing, much less posting pictures...  As bad as kids and their snapchat/instagram/facebook crap!

On a serious note, I'd be inclined to maybe throw away a little more material if need be, and juggle things as necessary to form a LaScalaesque doghouse in an attempt to continue horizontal expansion all the way out.  That final parallel-side-walls section would, it seems, create a great possibility for a (nasty?) resonant chamber situation.

14 hours ago, glens said:

I can't believe you grown men are talking in extreme public about huffing, much less posting pictures...  As bad as kids and their snapchat/instagram/facebook crap!

On a serious note, I'd be inclined to maybe throw away a little more material if need be, and juggle things as necessary to form a LaScalaesque doghouse in an attempt to continue horizontal expansion all the way out.  That final parallel-side-walls section would, it seems, create a great possibility for a (nasty?) resonant chamber situation.

You know that's what xilicas and PEQ's and room EQ is for right?  On the other hand the plans are here in this thread and you can find out by building a set without parallel sides and report back. I trust Claude's numbers enough to build by them and this was a fair amount of time and money and I am very pleased with the results.

Speaking of huffing I cleared out years worth of trees growing behind the house yesterday and today. I am here to admit in public I was huffing. And puffing too at times. Maybe I will move to Seattle or San Fran.

• Like 1

Perhaps I think out loud too much.  I intended nothing derogatory in what I said, in case it came across that way.

I believe they have trees and various undergrowth in both those other locations, too, but the soil doesn't have as permanent location as what you're accustomed to, for a couple of reasons.

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

You know that's what xilicas and PEQ's and room EQ is for right?  On the other hand the plans are here in this thread and you can find out by building a set without parallel sides and report back. I trust Claude's numbers enough to build by them and this was a fair amount of time and money and I am very pleased with the results.

Speaking of huffing I cleared out years worth of trees growing behind the house yesterday and today. I am here to admit in public I was huffing. And puffing too at times. Maybe I will move to Seattle or San Fran.

Don’t move, you are fine just where you are… 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, glens said:

Perhaps I think out loud too much.  I intended nothing derogatory in what I said, in case it came across that way.

I believe they have trees and various undergrowth in both those other locations, too, but the soil doesn't have as permanent location as what you're accustomed to, for a couple of reasons.

I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Funny thing about those old growth forests out west. Huge towering trees you wont believe until you see them in person. And no wildlife to speak of under them. I am used to the forest here being abundant in things to eat and critters to eat it all and it is hardly ever completely quiet.

"but the soil doesn't have as permanent location as what you're accustomed to"  Earthquakes?

On 5/18/2019 at 10:43 PM, glens said:

Measurements will tell the story. If it were me, I would opt for a 300 Hz. Xover point and a different mid driver, and go 3-way with it. But it's not my money, or yours, quite frankly. He can always add a "snout" if it's an issue when measured.

9 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

But it's not my money, or yours, quite frankly.

Agreed!  I was merely expressing a notion, not passing judgement or hurling insults.  To continue the expansion that got truncated on the exterior would require it be done in the middle, and that might be desirable for another reason as well, but then the back chamber volume would need to be recovered, by what, shortening the primary horn section?  Tradeoffs is tradeoffs.  I'm anxiously awaiting measurement reports on this.  I really like the idea.

• Moderators
On 5/18/2019 at 9:43 PM, glens said:

I can't believe you grown men are talking in extreme public about huffing, much less posting pictures...

It's a bad habit, not even counting the mwm bass bins I did 3 other subs designed like the 1502/1802. With two of them, I used a car type sprayer, one to add clear, mine and a friends which was painted on the inside. This made a few fumes but the worst was one I did in Florida. We went down to Palm Beach and I couldn't haul a compressor and everything to go with it and he wanted it black on the inside. So I just used a bunch of spray cans to get the inside black, spray cans are the worst for fumes. Luckily he wanted the outside stained and clear but spraying the inside was bad.

I had a respirator but it turned out to be somehow clogged and all I had was the little paper mask, never again.

10 hours ago, glens said:

Agreed!  I was merely expressing a notion, not passing judgement or hurling insults.  To continue the expansion that got truncated on the exterior would require it be done in the middle, and that might be desirable for another reason as well, but then the back chamber volume would need to be recovered, by what, shortening the primary horn section?  Tradeoffs is tradeoffs.  I'm anxiously awaiting measurement reports on this.  I really like the idea.

If I were to decide to do this I would go back to the original idea close to the beginning of this thread and use a Rockler Finger joiner router bit and add little triangles to the parallel sections. Claude says this would not make a worthwhile difference and so I elected to not complicate things further. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I hope to get to measuring and final dial in  with the Xilica of this system. I have them sounding much better but know they are not there. However I have spent enough time on these for a while and need to do other things for now.

10 hours ago, dtel said:

It's a bad habit, not even counting the mwm bass bins I did 3 other subs designed like the 1502/1802. With two of them, I used a car type sprayer, one to add clear, mine and a friends which was painted on the inside. This made a few fumes but the worst was one I did in Florida. We went down to Palm Beach and I couldn't haul a compressor and everything to go with it and he wanted it black on the inside. So I just used a bunch of spray cans to get the inside black, spray cans are the worst for fumes. Luckily he wanted the outside stained and clear but spraying the inside was bad.

I had a respirator but it turned out to be somehow clogged and all I had was the little paper mask, never again.

The beauty of Duratex is durable, most any color you want, roller applied or sprayed if you wish and no fumes. I am going to try spraying this one day as I am interested in what the finish would be like.