400k on khorn upgrade

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

Ciao!

Before you toss the squawker horn, try wrapping the outside with an automobile sound damping material like Dynamat. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Xtreme/dp/B00020CB2S

It will dampen left over vibrations in the aluminum K-400.  I found it made a noticeable difference, a calming of the sound. Warm it with a hair dryer or by putting it in the sun before applying it. 

For your situation, I would choose the Eliptrac 400 and change the tweeter to a Fastrac tweeter horn and a B&C DE120 driver.  Both horns have a Tractrix expansion curve. The Fastrac horn mouth is flush with the front of the cabinet.  The Fastrac/DE120 combo is silky smooth and mates perfectly with the K-55/K-400. 

Replacing a K-55-V is a difficult proposition.  It can safely respond down to 110 Hz, so a gentle slope crossover like the Type A is not hard on the driver. 

I would choose the Eliptrac 400

And where does one find this unicorn?

Looking at this thread, one would get the impression that Klipschorns are terrible, and need to have two of three drivers replaced and at least one or both of the horns replaced, and while we are at it, why not re-design the crossover and set the output on the midrange down by 6 dB. 

If the Klipschorns are really that poorly designed and assembled, why not buy something else. I had Klipschorns for over ten years. Other than refreshing some capacitors, they were basically stock. It was ten years of sheer enjoyment. Who knows, maybe if I got some capacitors soaked in beeswax the "veil would have been removed". Note to self: insert idiotic smiley face ...

Seriously guys, if you need to knock the midrange down by 6 dB, then the speakers are poorly designed and you should buy something else.

another note to self: .......

35 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Looking at this thread, one would get the impression that Klipschorns are terrible, and need to have two of three drivers replaced and at least one or both of the horns replaced, and while we are at it, why not re-design the crossover and set the output on the midrange down by 6 dB. 

If the Klipschorns are really that poorly designed and assembled, why not buy something else. I had Klipschorns for over ten years. Other than refreshing some capacitors, they were basically stock. It was ten years of sheer enjoyment. Who knows, maybe if I got some capacitors soaked in beeswax the "veil would have been removed". Note to self: insert idiotic smiley face ...

Seriously guys, if you need to knock the midrange down by 6 dB, then the speakers are poorly designed and you should buy something else.

Just curious Tom. What do you have now?

35 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I think its more along the lines of:

What is more fun, putting the puzzle together or looking at it when its done?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Just curious Tom. What do you have now?

I made the move to Jubilees. If one can be in love with an inanimate object, I am.

I have had them for about 11 years. Originally, I had the K-510 horns, then I replaced those with the K-402's (the big guys).

8 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

set the output on the midrange down by 6 dB.

Considering that many modern recordings are BOOSTED between 1K and 5K, it's no wonder that a good speaker reveals some midrange boost, unlike the "mellow" and veiling "Hi End" speakers.  See Chris A's posts on remastering.

5 hours ago, garyrc said:

Considering that many modern recordings are BOOSTED between 1K and 5K, it's no wonder that a good speaker reveals some midrange boost, unlike the "mellow" and veiling "Hi End" speakers.  See Chris A's posts on remastering.

I could understand if the adjustment was small. However, -6 dB in the midrange is not small, it is huge.

Not an additional 6dB, but 6dB total. It’s already -3B to begin with.

Klipsch used -6dB with the AK-2 network.

Also, a Jupiter capacitor is not “soaked in bee wax”. It’s a film capacitor that uses two separate layers - wax paper and foil. It’s an outstanding product. 

• Like 1

And although Khorns in their original form certainly provide a lot of pleasure, there is fun in what some might call fine-tuning according to taste (even if that might mean using some other components). Is it totally necessary? Probably not - depending on one's ears, tastes etc - but it can be fun - provided one does not get caught in the trap of always imagining some greener fields on the other side of the fence.

36 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

So no one has been able to answer the question about the Ellipitrac. Is it about the same as seeing a sasquatch?

Shakey

If you've contacted Dave and he's not taking orders you're at the mercy of the used market.

provided one does not get caught in the trap of always imagining some greener fields on the other side of the fence.

Yeah, that's been my struggle for years.

Although I might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel..............

Naw, that's just crazy talk.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If you've contacted Dave and he's not taking orders you're at the mercy of the used market.

Or you build your own... the major cost is in the labor.

Bruce

15 hours ago, dubai2000 said:

there is fun in what some might call fine-tuning according to taste

Which I do [with AK4 Klipschorns] with room treatments, Audyssey (choosing Flat or Reference), a sub (sometimes) and tone controls.