Master Stereo System - 3 Piece

rebuy

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, babadono said:

^Is one of those Ks not in a corner?  Hmmmm....

It's just an optical delusion :o lt also looks like the center is in a fish aquarium and needs to be pulled out even with the bricks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, babadono said:

"Excuse me, I need to go put on a suit and tie, I'm going to listen to some music":)

I guess the targeted demographics were professional

men and women who had some money---THE UPPER CRUST--if you will.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, babadono said:

^Is one of those Ks not in a corner?  Hmmmm....

The K on the left is on a wall, and on the outside window.  I had mine set up the same way with a curtain up against the speaker.  Not ideal.

See the little Heresy in the middle? 

@Schu Does George Jetson know you have his tables? I had some similar, but my oldest daughter took them when she got married. They were quite worn, as my three boys were hard on furniture ( heh heh heh.....I said hard on), but my daughters father in law refinished them very nicely. I like that style.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, rebuy said:

klipsch master stereo.jpg

The advertisement was probably in 1959, the year the Cornwall was introduced.  It refers to the Brussels World's Fair, which happened a year earlier, in 1958.  The Klipsch demo -- to an auditorium full of people -- used 2 Klipschorns onstage in artificial corners, with a Heresy between them.  I assume the Cornwall wasn't ready.  They also had a live v.s. recorded demonstration but I'm not sure whether it used a small group or an orchestra.  Probably a group.

I hear the American Pavilion was the most popular one.  One strong draw was "America the Beautiful," a total surround film (Circarama) by Walt Disney with multichannel sound.  After the fair, it went to Disneyland.  There was also a religious film in 70 mm Todd-AO and 6 channel stereo.

About 11 years later PWK decided to recommend fully horn loaded speakers as center speakers, as they had lower modulation distortion (less than 1/3 as much -- the Klipsch literature of the time said that, at 2 feet, the Khorn, at 100 dB, had 1% total modulation distortion and the Cornwall had 3%, at only 90 dB!), so the candidates for a center channel were the Belle Klipsch or the La Scala. 

• Like 2

My main system comprises Klipschorns with a Belle in the center.

The Belle is driven via the center channel output on a Scott 299B.

My second system is the same three speakers with three McIntosh MC30's.

The center channel is via Paul Klipsch's original design for a 3-channel switch (re: a Dope in Hope article).

My third system utilizes two LaScala's and two VRD's and no center channel (in the market for a third VRD and a third LaScala).

My listening room furniture is all mid-century modern:

- Eames lounge chair and ottoman (Rosewood by Herman Miller)

- LeCorbusier LC3 Grande Sofa

- LeCorbusier LC2 Armchairs (2x)

- Breuer Wassily Chairs (2x)

- Mies Van der Rohe Barcelona Pavilion Ottomans

- Saarinen Tulip Occasional Tables

- Eileen Gray Adjustable Tables

• Moderators
On 6/18/2018 at 12:49 PM, wvu80 said:

That concept of a three speaker front sound stage was sooo far ahead of its time.

Yes it was way ahead of its time, if that is from 58-59 that's 4 years or less after the first stereo recordings were made for sale by the major record companies. So stereo was only a few years old and he was already running three speakers across the front with a custom box to get that center channel signal. 

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

KP+600+ad.jpg

I know how heavy those to move, it takes everything for 2 people to carry each of the three modules I would not want to be under them when they are flown, I don't trust riggers that much.

The size is deceiving in that picture, here you go and you can see whats inside.

Amazing sound, they should bring them back, also they were designed by Chief Bonehead. 

speakers1 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Yes it was way ahead of its time, if that is from 58-59 that's 4 years or less after the first stereo recordings were made for sale by the major record companies. So stereo was only a few years old and he was already running three speakers across the front with a custom box to get that center channel signal. 

Yeah.  Stereo pre-recorded 1/4"  TAPE was being sold in the late 1950s, including RCA's "New Orthophonic Stereophonic tapes"  Martin Mayer, in the 1958 version of his Hi -Fi book [a classic -- the Floyd Toole of it's day] said that London records had demonstrated the stereo Lp record, but it didn't make it to San Francisco until the Hi Fi fair of January 1959, when my high school buddies and I were there to meet it...

Characteristically, PWK experimented with the new medium, three channel version, publishing his first of several articles on it just about the time the stereo Lp arrived.  

• Like 1