What receiver should I use for my Klipsch Speakers?

17 minutes ago, rlmerrell69 said:

So this means, to me, that Marantz and Denon have literally 9 amplified channels(Which is why @wvu80 recommended to use pre-outs for anything past 9 speakers)

so that each speaker has their own min-amp within the amp providing true 110w or 140w per channel. If this made ANY Sense... or if I missed earth completely.

You got it!  👍

I just looked up the Denon 5200 specs and it does have the discrete amps just like the Marantz 6011.  Both have 9 discrete power amps.

Even though the Marantz is generally considered better with music than the Denon, either will do a terrific job for you.

Here is what my Marantz 6011 is driving (see my signature for details. different sub from the picture).  When I am playing as loud as I can stand it which is reference level, around 85 db the power meter on the 6011 tells me I am using about 1/3 of the power available.  No matter how loud I play my music I can't get to 1/2 power.

5ab823f1ae6a0_RF-83RC-64smallpic.thumb.jpg.a3647ca627d236f7c3ccc036557c687b.jpg

• Like 1

Determining the quality of the amplification is a big factor too, and cheaper power supplies such as what is in the RX-V Yamaha's is anemic at best.  Some power supplies put out few watts, but those watts are fed by a monstrous power supply.  That can change the efficiency of the amp and in turn provide better and cleaner power to the speakers.  The speakers efficiency comes into play too.  Quality over quantity - but both when you can afford it.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You got it!  👍

I just looked up the Denon 5200 specs and it does have the discrete amps just like the Marantz 6011.  Both have 9 discrete power amps.

Even though the Marantz is generally considered better with music than the Denon, either will do a terrific job for you.

I'm glad I finally have an understanding! Now I have better knowledge when picking a receiver(and giving advice to others). In my case, going with the R-25C(@100w cont), I would be overpowering the center speakers and not the towers; is this correct? This would make it even more preferable to have the Marantz's 110w than the Denon's 140w per channel. Unless I got a beefier center channel like the RP-450C Center Speaker(@150w cont')?

@The History Kid, I was thinking a little about that too. Knowing my entry level isn't for these towers, how would I determine the quality of the 2 candidates? (Denon AVRx5200w and Marantz SR6011) I'm still reading their  overview and specifications.

3 minutes ago, rlmerrell69 said:

@The History Kid, I was thinking a little about that too. Knowing my entry level isn't for these towers, how would I determine the quality of the 2 candidates? (Denon AVRx5200w and Marantz SR6011) I'm still reading their  overview and specifications.

It's not an exact science, but a good determining factor is looking at the type of the power supply (A, B, D, H, etc), weight of the unit (the bulk of the weight is usually from the power supply) and the total power consumption.  Most AVR's will run Class D if I recall right.  The Marantz is spec'd at 680 W and weighs 28 lbs.  The Denon is spec'd at 730 W and weighs 31.3 lbs.  Both are made by the same parent company.  Both are solid choices.  If you use these rules, the Denon would have a bit of an edge, but Marantz has a history of being on the end of music, Denon favors movies.  That'd be one of your deciding factors.  You aren't going to notice the difference in the wattage specified between these two options.

Just now, rlmerrell69 said:

In my case, going with the R-25C(@100w cont),

I would be overpowering the center speakers and not the towers; is this correct?

This would make it even more preferable to have the Marantz's 110w than the Denon's 140w per channel.

No, not correct.  Both of those AVR's have a top notch room correction software built-in called Audyssey which will balance the speakers perfectly.

Audyssey makes all your speakers play nice together.  It measures the room by using the included microphone and not only measures how far away you are from the speakers and subs, it measures the sound bouncing off the walls and ceilings so the sound gets to the Main Listening Position (MLP) all at the same time.

2 minutes ago, rlmerrell69 said:

@The History Kid, I am leaning towards the Denon. I do listen to both music and movies but I would prefer a better movie experience. 

If you lean movies, I agree.  The Denon would probably be your better option.  You can't really go wrong with either - but in my experience Denon's perform better with movies.  I personally don't favor either of these brands - but they have quite the following with Klipsch owners, and I can't deny they're solid quality.

5 minutes ago, rlmerrell69 said:

, That is an impressive setup you have there! Awesome, so I understand that Audyssey would make adjustments to now overpower my center speaker?

Thank you.  Part of my enjoyment of this hobby is finding "deals" on the used market.  Those speakers and a pair of RS-62's look nice and sound great but didn't cost all that much.

The answer to your question is "yes" Audyssey will blend all your speakers together as if an audio professional came into your room and perfectly calibrated your system.

+++

I'd like to address something that concerns me.  You are looking at some really nice top tier AVR's in the $2000 range.  First of all, does that really fit your budget?  I don't want to steer you towards something just because I have one (which I got used BTW).

My second concern is you are looking at an AVR that frankly is in a higher quality range than your modest set of speakers.  Even if you end up with one of those high end AVR's the sound will be limited by your speakers.  Do you have the budget or inclination to upgrade?

Forgive me for trying to spend your money.  I just want to make sure we aren't "overselling" if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 10:45 PM, The History Kid said:

Most AVR's will run Class D if I recall right.

I don't think that is correct.

I am pretty sure Pioneer is the only "major" AVR mfr with Class D amps and I think that is just the Elite models.

Bill

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Thank you.  Part of my enjoyment of this hobby is finding "deals" on the used market.  Those speakers and a pair of RS-62's look nice and sound great but didn't cost all that much.

The answer to your question is "yes" Audyssey will blend all your speakers together as if an audio professional came into your room and perfectly calibrated your system.

+++

I'd like to address something that concerns me.  You are looking at some really nice top tier AVR's in the $2000 range.  First of all, does that really fit your budget?  I don't want to steer you towards something just because I have one (which I got used BTW).

My second concern is you are looking at an AVR that frankly is in a higher quality range than your modest set of speakers.  Even if you end up with one of those high end AVR's the sound will be limited by your speakers.  Do you have the budget or inclination to upgrade?

Forgive me for trying to spend your money.  I just want to make sure we aren't "overselling" if that makes any sense.

@wvu80, It's all good! I'm actually in the same boat. I look for deals and steals. These R-28F towers I got were 179.99 each, they were used display models and only had a couple scratches that was it. My current Yamaha receiver is refurbished and it's lasted me for a long while now. While I did get those at a steal, another question bugs me; how much better sounding are the RP-280F towers. Is it enough to justify the higher price tag(I found some 280's for just over 400each)? This would probably be for another thread. But also, I can't find any dealers around me that have these particular towers so I can hear for myself. There was a D-Tronics Theater store that has the THX speakers setup but it was TERRIBLE. They didn't have anything setup correctly(sound-wise). I felt bad for the guy helping us cause I butted in and changed the settings for him, he didn't know how! I might give them a call or go back to see if they've got the 280's up for listening.

As for the AVR. If I can get a cheaper one with same specs, or similar specs(or specs compatible with the towers); i'll take that one instead. However, considering how much I crank up the sound(for movies it's around 75+-(from 0-97 range)) For music I sometimes hit 80. I just want to make sure i'm not over/under powering. I don't mind a used, refurbished or display model receiver. I typically get square-trade warranty(they never failed me) to back me up on any failures.

Ultimately, I'd finally get the Klpisch THX Ultra speakers. But we're talking about a few years later. Perhaps when I get a more permanent home. And by that time i'm sure i'll be replacing everything. For now, i'm in the market for something suitable to drive the R-28F towers.

12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You got it!  👍

Here is what my Marantz 6011 is driving (see my signature for details. different sub from the picture).  When I am playing as loud as I can stand it which is reference level, around 85 db the power meter on the 6011 tells me I am using about 1/3 of the power available.  No matter how loud I play my music I can't get to 1/2 power.

@wvu80, knowing your 6011 doesn't reach 1/2 power no matter what tells me that I may be overcompensating. So I have room to get a lesser powerful AVR. I don't think it would be reasonable to ride that line of 'just enough' power to run the speakers. To me, it's like a computer power supply. Buy a 800W power supply for a 700W computer is fine(just an example), but the power supply will be working hard to keep it powered. But a 1000W for a 700W computer would be better to keep the power supply more cooler and not over-work it. If this makes any sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

@wvu80, It's all good! I'm actually in the same boat. I look for deals and steals. These R-28F towers I got were 179.99 each, they were used display models and only had a couple scratches that was it. My current Yamaha receiver is refurbished and it's lasted me for a long while now. While I did get those at a steal, another question bugs me; how much better sounding are the RP-280F towers. Is it enough to justify the higher price tag(I found some 280's for just over 400each)? This would probably be for another thread. But also, I can't find any dealers around me that have these particular towers so I can hear for myself. There was a D-Tronics Theater store that has the THX speakers setup but it was TERRIBLE. They didn't have anything setup correctly(sound-wise). I felt bad for the guy helping us cause I butted in and changed the settings for him, he didn't know how! I might give them a call or go back to see if they've got the 280's up for listening.

As for the AVR. If I can get a cheaper one with same specs, or similar specs(or specs compatible with the towers); i'll take that one instead. However, considering how much I crank up the sound(for movies it's around 75+-(from 0-97 range)) For music I sometimes hit 80. I just want to make sure i'm not over/under powering. I don't mind a used, refurbished or display model receiver. I typically get square-trade warranty(they never failed me) to back me up on any failures.

Ultimately, I'd finally get the Klpisch THX Ultra speakers. But we're talking about a few years later. Perhaps when I get a more permanent home. And by that time i'm sure i'll be replacing everything. For now, i'm in the market for something suitable to drive the R-28F towers.

QUIT thinking about the "specs of the tower"--that has nothing to do with buying

a better quality AVR. 

What you buy depends on your money supply.

Any Denon or Marantz will Really Outperform your Yamaha.

They sound better.

Just get what you can afford and find out for yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rebuy said:

QUIT thinking about the "specs of the tower"--that has nothing to do with buying

a better quality AVR. 

What you buy depends on your money supply.

Any Denon or Marantz will Really Outperform your Yamaha.

They sound better.

Just get what you can afford and find out for yourself.

@rebuyRoger that, i'll certainly keep this posted once I've completed my setup.

I appreciate all of the inputs and advice from everyone that has posted!

• 8 months later...

And if you discover you can't afford the "Marantz sound" let me throw another brand name into the mix:

Onkyo.  I've owned two in a row in the past quarter century and they both punched way above their paygrades.

*Also, I've heard good things about NAD although they aren't really a "budget" brand any more like they were back in the day...