Resistance across speaker terminals?

Kriton

Greetings,

Can someone tell me what the resistance measures are across the speakers terminals for a Heresy I, K77M tweeter?

I ordered new diaphragms from BC, but I tested the tweeters resistance and they both came in the same, about 6.2 ohm...is this right?

Anyone know what the squawker and WOOFER should be measured across their terminals?

Thanks!

B

There is NO sub in most Klipsch speakers. 

The typical, original K-77-M Re is about 6.7 ohms give or take a few 10ths.  A K-55-V should read 10.5 ohms.  The WOOFER will vary by model.  Which woofer do you have?

However, the Re is unimportant if the driver produces sound.  All you need to know is that the voice coil has continuity.  A driver's impedance is higher and varies with frequency.  It becomes important when you are designing a crossover. 

Thank you for your correction. I am aware there is no SUB in most Klipsch speakers; but I misspoke.

Knowing the impedance might be important if I am trying to determine whether a diaphragm is going bad, which was my first thought - now given the numbers which you just kindly revealed, I am not so sure. I believe that I might now need to test my amplifier as I have had high-end drop off in one tweeter, and I can’t track down why.

Thank you for your response, I can see that the level of courteous communication has at least been maintained in my absence.

B

47 minutes ago, Kriton said:

Thank you for your response, I can see that the level of courteous communication has at least been maintained in my absence.

You posted on a good day.  😎

47 minutes ago, Kriton said:

I believe that I might now need to test my amplifier as I have had high-end drop off in one tweeter, and I can’t track down why.

Have you switched speaker wires from one to the other to see if the drop-off follows the channel or stays with the speaker?

By your Signature quote you have lots of nice stuff and it looks like you might have a vintage amp hooked up to that H1.  That would certainly make me wonder if the amp wasn't starting to give up the ghost.

Good morning.

I haven’t switched speaker wires, I will try that; guess that should have been my first order of business. Have them torn apart right now, went ahead and upgraded other crossover while apart. Now they match, but might have opened another can of worms.

You are correct; I am running these H1’s with the HK 730 twin; has worked spectacularly till I decided to hook a Bluetooth receiver to the little-used “input 2” RCA jacks. When the right channel appeared to suddenly lose high end, I assumed tweeter crapped out. It sounded like it was working, but things such as a high-hat rythm lost its “crispness”, so I assumed diaphragm. My old voltmeter was wigging out, so I couldn’t measure resistance across terminals to test my theory, so I just went ahead and ordered new diaphragms from Mr. Crites.

However, found even older voltmeter that does appear to work, tested both tweets, got 6.2 ohms from both...so *now* I am not so sure I was right about this being the problem. I had this amp gone through and adjusted some years ago by our local amp genius, Terry DeWick, but he isn’t doing non-Mac equipment any more AND apparently has a 90 day backlog! I sent a pleading email, but even though I only live a couple miles from him, I am not hopeful.

So given all that...any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Kriton said:

Good morning.

I haven’t switched speaker wires, I will try that; guess that should have been my first order of business. Have them torn apart right now, went ahead and upgraded other crossover while apart. Now they match, but might have opened another can of worms.

You are correct; I am running these H1’s with the HK 730 twin; has worked spectacularly till I decided to hook a Bluetooth receiver to the little-used “input 2” RCA jacks. When the right channel appeared to suddenly lose high end, I assumed tweeter crapped out. It sounded like it was working, but things such as a high-hat rythm lost its “crispness”, so I assumed diaphragm. My old voltmeter was wigging out, so I couldn’t measure resistance across terminals to test my theory, so I just went ahead and ordered new diaphragms from Mr. Crites.

However, found even older voltmeter that does appear to work, tested both tweets, got 6.2 ohms from both...so *now* I am not so sure I was right about this being the problem. I had this amp gone through and adjusted some years ago by our local amp genius, Terry DeWick, but he isn’t doing non-Mac equipment any more AND apparently has a 90 day backlog! I sent a pleading email, but even though I only live a couple miles from him, I am not hopeful.

So given all that...any thoughts?

Could it be the input  or wires  ?

19 minutes ago, Kriton said:

Wires? As in RCA input wires, unlikely. Has happened with multiple sets of inputs, Blue Jeans low imped right and left 1 meter wires, which have always worked for me. Could wires cause high output roll-off?

Ah, now the input jacks themselves....yes, might be the culprit, but how would I test them? What would I be looking for, and where is that pesky grounding bracelet to keep me from being shocked to $#&@? Last time I opened an amp, a broken tube octal took me off my feet; I imagine I looked like a startled Rick Moranis (dating myself).