What happened to the “KP” Line?

rockhound

Why did Klipsch discontinue the Klipsch Portable line? I know from talking with Bill H that the KP line evntually morphed into the Ki and KPT lines but why did Klipsch decide to snuff the PA market? My assumption is economics but would like to get the whole story from cradle to grave. Really wish we still had this line today.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 6/18/2018 at 8:11 PM, rockhound said:

Why did Klipsch discontinue the Klipsch Portable line? I know from talking with Bill H that the KP line evntually morphed into the Ki and KPT lines but why did Klipsch decide to snuff the PA market? My assumption is economics but would like to get the whole story from cradle to grave. Really wish we still had this line today.

Never heard the "P" as standing for "portable", but that could be.

As @jjptkd mentioned, some products went over from KP to KI.

It kind of depends on which speakers in particular and which era.

Klipsch had Professional, and that was spun off to separate company, eventually taken over by an individual who continued to make some of the products.  KGI  then they went back into Profesional with two lines, specifically Professional Theater and permanent Installation?

So are you asking why did they spin off and sell Professional to begin with?

I think it is probably economics, due in part to expired patents and major competition from companies adopting the PWK's designs, and also@Chief bonehead came up with something better (modified tractrix), to the point where they had close to 50% of professional theater market.

I don't know the whole complete story, but it seems that all lines intersect somehow with Chief Bonehead.

I have been looking for a good PA setup for my son, I ended up getting some 262's from @bhendrix and some 480 subs from @JohnA  both of which I will need to modify to accept poles/handles. I really wish Klipsch still made a few items in this series. A two way top and a three way top and a couple different subs would be nice. I looked at the JBL series and almost pulled the trigger on the SRX or PRX series but again wanted to stay with Klipsch. So was just curious on what happened adn most importanly why they dont offer a couple small packages.

Travis I'm sure your probably right that it was due to economics.

Since the Klipsch Professional (KP) line was sold, another name was needed.  There is still confusion over the source of parts and info.  I had to go to Eminence to get power data and calculate my own fuse sizes for my KSM-12-II. 

BTW, if you know who is still making Klipsch Professional, I'd appreciate contact info. 

7 hours ago, rockhound said:

None of those are "road ready" with pole cups and handles.

I got ya now, wasn't clear on what you were looking for I guess. It would seem as though Klipsch could easily add those features at the factory if you ordered them new if not Partsexpress sells kits that are pretty easy to install, in fact I don't think I'd pay very much extra for the factory to do it if it wasn't an option they were willing to do for free. 

• Klipsch Employees
19 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Never heard the "P" as standing for "portable", but that could be.

As @jjptkd mentioned, some products went over from KP to KI.

It kind of depends on which speakers in particular and which era.

Klipsch had Professional, and that was spun off to separate company, eventually taken over by an individual who continued to make some of the products.  KGI  then they went back into Profesional with two lines, specifically Professional Theater and permanent Installation?

So are you asking why did they spin off and sell Professional to begin with?

I think it is probably economics, due in part to expired patents and major competition from companies adopting the PWK's designs, and also@Chief bonehead came up with something better (modified tractrix), to the point where they had close to 50% of professional theater market.

I don't know the whole complete story, but it seems that all lines intersect somehow with Chief Bonehead.

back then, musical instrument, MI, was a good market to be in.  but that changed when other companies lowered prices in order to dominate the market.  with the current KI, you can get "bedliner" finish, handles, different connectors and socket cups as a special order.

• Thanks 1