She Nailed It!

thebes

How many times have we heard or said that phrase. He, she, they nailed the whatever out of that song. Everybody who sings or plays, listens or learns, wants that magic moment where skill and passion combine into an emotional roller coaster that bares the emotions and reveals the glorious essence of the commonality of humanity.

We here spend gobs of money and rashers of time just to garner a hint of that greatness. Sometimes we are rewarded and sometimes we wonder why we chased that wisp of fog upon the wind.  Sometimes we reflect and recall how a song on the radio, a strolling whistler on a summers day, a brief snaatch of song caught upon the wind from a passing car or an open window, can rouse that feeling.

Sometimes it can happen while flipping through the channels, a  bored search through the banal offerings that comprise most of that medium.

So by happenstance I come across a PBS fundraiser, a concert in tribute to the fallen bard, Leonard Cohen, performed on the anniversary of his death.

Now, I'm a big fan , I'm enjoying it but hardly wowed, until...

KD Lang performs her version of "Hallelujah"

I know she has sung this song many times, but I'm absolutely floored by her rendition this evening. Every note,  to me anyways, is an unbridled masterpiece.  When she reaches deep her emotion scales the heights, not an over-emoted blast of volume to brag about her range, but in service to the song and the emotion it should render.

It's a few days later, now, and I still get wound up a bit thinking about.  Indeed she did.

She nailed it!

• Like 3

I much prefer the song in Hebrew, I feel it better captures the Jewish essence and soul of Cohen’s writing. IMO this is the absolute best performance of the piece done by the IDF band. I would love to find a higher res version of this someday. These army kids can really play.

3 hours ago, thebes said:

How many times have we heard or said that phrase. He, she, they nailed the whatever out of that song. Everybody who sings or plays, listens or learns, wants that magic moment where skill and passion combine into an emotional roller coaster that bares the emotions and reveals the glorious essence of the commonality of humanity.

We here spend gobs of money and rashers of time just to garner a hint of that greatness. Sometimes we are rewarded and sometimes we wonder why we chased that wisp of fog upon the wind.  Sometimes we reflect and recall how a song on the radio, a strolling whistler on a summers day, a brief snaatch of song caught upon the wind from a passing car or an open window, can rouse that feeling.

Sometimes it can happen while flipping through the channels, a  bored search through the banal offerings that comprise most of that medium.

So by happenstance I come across a PBS fundraiser, a concert in tribute to the fallen bard, Leonard Cohen, performed on the anniversary of his death.

Now, I'm a big fan , I'm enjoying it but hardly wowed, until...

KD Lang performs her version of "Hallelujah"

I know she has sung this song many times, but I'm absolutely floored by her rendition this evening. Every note,  to me anyways, is an unbridled masterpiece.  When she reaches deep her emotion scales the heights, not an over-emoted blast of volume to brag about her range, but in service to the song and the emotion it should render.

It's a few days later, now, and I still get wound up a bit thinking about.  Indeed she did.

She nailed it!

She sang it at the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics and I was floored. Unbelievable rendition. 

Nice selections guys. Glad you get what I'm driving at.

As happenstance would have it I picked up the KD Lang cd that has the song on it a couple of weeks ago, before I heard the PBS version, and just got around to listening to it.  She was much more restrained on the cd and I liked her interpretation at the PBS special better.

8 hours ago, thebes said:

Nice selections guys. Glad you get what I'm driving at.

As happenstance would have it I picked up the KD Lang cd that has the song on it a couple of weeks ago, before I heard the PBS version, and just got around to listening to it.  She was much more restrained on the cd and I liked her interpretation at the PBS special better.