Choices Choices, R-28F, RP-280F, R-25C, R-15M; Help!

rlmerrell69

I've got a couple questions again.

I was lucky to pick up a pair of Klipsch R-28F speakers for a fantastic price. I have a chance of getting a pair of Klipsch R-15M for a great price(if they still have them).

My question is(I've seen some people not use typical center speakers), can I substitute a Klipsch R-25C center speaker for the Klipsch R-15M pair and just tie them together like the bi-poles of a Klipsch R-28F?(and set them up together as one)

I would take that route as that's half or less than half of a typical center speaker(even the one they're trying to sell), but not sure if it would affect sound or quality of the center channel.

[EDIT:] I think I answered my question doing more research. While I can use both speakers, it's better to use just one to avoid Ohm issues and the 2 speakers cancelling each other out.

My other question is, I might have a chance of getting another pair of Klipsch R-28F speakers at a great price. Although, I've been interested in the Klipsch RP-280F towers.

Is the sound quality and difference so great it's worth getting the Klipsch RP-280F and put the Klipsch R-28F's to the rear?

1 hour ago, rlmerrell69 said:

Anyone have any ideas on the floorstanding speakers?

OK, if you can afford the RP 280 F's they will be better for you mains--no doubt.

As far as a center--get the best center you can.

My system does dual duty for TV ans Music.

I listen to 5 channel music processed as Dolby Digital,

I prefer it over stereo and I can tell you that a lot of music

comes through the center channel--so do not skimp here.

This will pay off for movies too because a lot more than just

talking happens in the center.

22 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

My other question is, I might have a chance of getting another pair of Klipsch R-28F speakers at a great price. Although, I've been interested in the Klipsch RP-280F towers.

Is the sound quality and difference so great it's worth getting the Klipsch RP-280F and put the Klipsch R-28F's to the rear?

The 280's are less harsh.  The aluminum tweeters of the cheaper line can be more fatiguing.  This is very important to me.  If you went that direction, try to plan on getting a 450C to match at least eventually.  

wait are you suggestion that aluminum tweeters are harsh sounding and titanium tweeters are not? I have not listened to these R-28F diaphragms myself but a friend of mine who has very good ears and very good gear and who has spent much time and money on SOTA crossover components has recently replaced his very modified Forte which have all ti horn diaphragms with a set of modified R-28F and he is delighted with them. So given that I think that the harsh sound that you are hearing is due to components in the crossover section of the R-28F and not. the aluminum diaphragms.

We went through years of complaints from pro's who would not use a ti diaphragm when they came out. It was established that ti diaphragms resonance bothered some folks who were sensitive to it and I think it has been well established that aluminum is in fact a superior diaphragm material as its resonant mode is much higher than titanium. I just want to see the true cause of the harshness attributed to its real cause and that is most likely the components in the high frequency section of the R-28F crossover. JBL engineers did much research to get to the bottom of this at the time and I would hate to see it forgotten and lost and a new generation then wast time and money to re invent the wheel.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, moray james said:

aluminum is in fact a superior diaphragm material as its resonant mode is much higher than titanium.

You sure about that?  Beryllium is what is much higher.  I was under the impression that aluminum is actually lower.  There was an article somewhere that actually measured all this stuff with a laser, I'll try to find it.  

@moray james I'm sure you're smarter than me on this stuff but look at the breakup measured in aluminum vs. titanium vs. beryllium.  Aluminum doesn't look superior to me but maybe I'm misunderstanding.  

http://www.vueaudio.com/beryllium/the-use-of-beryllium-in-transducers/

Lazer-1.png?w=940

7 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The 280's are less harsh.  The aluminum tweeters of the cheaper line can be more fatiguing.  This is very important to me.  If you went that direction, try to plan on getting a 450C to match at least eventually.  

I  played the aluminum tweeters for quite a while and never found them fatiguing.

That was surprising to me.

• 4 weeks later...