Heresy II Veneer

ACV92

Does anyone know what thickness of veneer that Klipsch used on the Heresy II?  One of the ones I just purchased is missing the strip on the bottom front.  It appears as if it's 1/16", at least close with a ruler.  They are birch.  I'm having trouble finding 1/16" Birch veneer anywhere near me, but there is 1/16" Birch plywood.  I figure it would work fine.  If it is a little thick I'll sand it down from the back side.  I have to color match the stain so I'll be testing on a scrap piece anyway.  Let me know if you know what it is exactly, or if you think the plywood would work.  Thanks.

One on the left is missing the piece.

1218186703_IMG_20180616_175504057smallcrop.jpg.8f9f023c98fa6216270c29e00db7785d.jpg

21 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

Does anyone know what thickness of veneer that Klipsch used on the Heresy II?

Tried to figure that out when I was going to build a "Heresy" box as a center channel.  Thought Klipsch used "Baltic Birch" which has a "thick" layer of veneer (actually, all layers are birch with the same thickness). But NO; they used cheaper birch plywood with a very thin veneer on top.  Think (????) it is only 1/32" so be very carefull :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HIIs, are built from veneered mdf panels, not baltic/russian birch.

They look beautiful in the pics. Mine are black... and I've thought many times of veneering them.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

I'm only looking at repairing the missing piece and very small piece on one of the sides of the same speaker.  I'm not doing a full resto.  Just enough to get by for now.  I think a pair of slanted risers and a recap may be in order next.

• Like 1

"I see a red door and I want it painted black...  No colors anymore I want them to turn black..."   

JUST a thought...Trust me it's just a THOUGHT but it MIGHT fly...  Pray for someone w/more knowledge about veneer than me sees this BUT...  IF the bottom of your speaker is good and the same color would it be possible to NEATLY & CAREFULLY surgically remove a strip the exact width for the lower front of the cabinet from the bottom rear?  Lil skin graft???  I dunno though...  Just thinkin outta the box...  Could be sweet and could be a disaster if it splits.  OR possibly just get a close match on the stain and stain it?   OR just leave it alone and blame the previous owner?  HAHAHA!!  

Beats a strip of purple duck tape!!!  😂 😂 😂 😎 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dtel said:

I have never heard of any plywood being 1/16" thick, it may be veneer with a backing ?

I'm pretty sure that's what it is.  Both sides are "cabinet grade" birch, but it has a plywood core.  It must be used for building models, or something.  I figured it would work OK for what I need.  Here's a link.  I just bought a piece today.  Seems OK.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/birch-plywood-1-16-x-12-x-24

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

"I see a red door and I want it painted black...  No colors anymore I want them to turn black..."   

JUST a thought...Trust me it's just a THOUGHT but it MIGHT fly...  Pray for someone w/more knowledge about veneer than me sees this BUT...  IF the bottom of your speaker is good and the same color would it be possible to NEATLY & CAREFULLY surgically remove a strip the exact width for the lower front of the cabinet from the bottom rear?  Lil skin graft???  I dunno though...  Just thinkin outta the box...  Could be sweet and could be a disaster if it splits.  OR possibly just get a close match on the stain and stain it?   OR just leave it alone?  

Beats a strip of purple duck tape!!!  😂 😂 😂 😎 

I had to sand the bottom of that one.  Had the water damage as I said in another post.  Sanded quit a bit and it's still veneer.  It's pretty much ready for stain.  I don't want to try the sanding trick on the rest of the cabs.  If the birch piece works, I want to get the risers, and then go after the color match.  I know it won't be exact but I'll get it pretty close.  These weren't the best example of Heresy II's, so I'll make them better and just listen to them.

• Like 1

Buy some edge banding veneer at your local hardware store.  The kind with the hot melt on one side... basically just iron it on, sand it level.  If for some reason it was too thin you could add a 2nd or even a 3rd layer and sand down.  A razor blade can get that trimmed to fit nicely.   Eventually, you could cover the whole thing with new veneer which would only take one 4x8 sheet of veneer for both speakers and risers.