5.1 - speaker placement for rears (R-14S)

alex_m_84

Hi guys,

I just ordered the R28 5.1 speaker pack which includes:

R-28F Floor Standing speakers

R-25C Center Speaker

R-14S Surround Speakers

R-10SW Subwoofer

Just in regards to the R-14S rears. I have a 4x5m theater room (5 meter sides). my couch is currently hard up against the rear wall. I will pull this forwards half a meter or so (up to a meter if needed).

Am i better to mount the rears on the back wall or the side? or can you mount them in the corners at 45°? Also, is there a rule of thumb for height to mount these speakers? I was initially going to get a pack with bookshelf rears and just put them on a stand, but now i am getting these R14 surrounds i'm not sure exactly where to put them.

I know moving them around to test and listening once i get them will determine the best spot, but thought i'd see if there are any starter recommendations.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 1:25 PM, alex_m_84 said:

Am i better to mount the rears on the back wall or the side? or can you mount them in the corners at 45°?

I have the same issue with my new surrounds R-41SA. The back wall is too close to the back of the couch so i will mount them on the side with the cones facing the back of the seated sweet spot. That's always the plan. Point the speakers towards the back of the head of the person seated in the sweet spot. 

As far as height is concerned. Generally no more than 2 feet between the height of the front with the rears.