Port noise/distortion on my new R-10SWi

sharp3d

Hello, I just purchased a bunch of new Klipsch audio equipment and I'm very excited about it! I am pretty new to higher end home theater audio so it's quite possible that I'm setting something up incorrectly. My main issue is the chuffing port noise/distortion coming from my brand new R-10SWi subwoofer when I run certain dolby digital audio tests. At medium to high volume I can hear it chuffing over various audio I'm playing. I highly doubt it's defective, so I believe I just don't have my subwoofer settings in conjunction with my audio receivers settings setup incorrectly. I've never had to mess with crossover settings before so I am pretty unfamiliar, but I've been reading up. My setup is as follows:

Sony STR-DN840

Klipsch R-15M Front L/R

Klipsch R-25C Center

Klipsch R-10SWi

JBL Expansion Satellite Rear L/R

I've zeroed out/cleared my receivers settings and everything is default. On the sub, I have the gain set to about 9 o'clock position, low pass set to 80Hz, phase at 0 and I'm using it wireless. From what I've read, this should be a good pairing with the R-15M. It's my understanding you can setup crossover in two different ways, let the receiver handle it or let the sub handle it? I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it for my particular setup. The manual for my receiver can be found here STR-DN840   I know to set my speakers to "small". My receiver does have the ability to use a calibration mic, thought I just moved into my new home and can't seem to find it, so for now I'm doing everything manual. If I cant find it, I'll order a replacement if doing that calibration setup is recommended. My living room is small to medium 15'x12' and the sub is placed in the front corner. 

After connecting everything up I wanted to hear some 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound. I connected my laptop to my receiver via HDMI and made sure my laptops soundcard was setup for 5.1. I found this website which hosts some Dolby Trailers and downloaded several of them to test. I get chuffing port noise for a lot of the bassy parts in these videos. The very first video titled "Amaze" at the end when the Dolby logo splashes up, I've been using that low note as a baseline for adjusting things. I hardly get any bass like I'd expect and instead just hear mostly fluttery port noise. 

I'm guessing it's incorrect use of crossover causing this issue, so how should I go about adjusting my setup based on what I'm experiencing?

Thanks!  

Edited by sharp3d

Thanks for your reply. However, I feel like with my receiver zeroed out and with the volume at around 35-40 out of 70 in a small-ish room, I should not be experiencing this. I still think I need to adjust my crossover somehow, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff which is why I hoped to get a few tips based on my equipment here.   

Port chuffing is a volume issue, not a crossover issue.

I am suspect of the test sources you're using for testing. It may be an issue with how these files are source recorded.

Try using actual movie DVD's. Check some of the subwoofer or home theater suite speaker reviews from Sound and Vision magazine. They typically will mention which movies they used, and which specific passages they used, when reviewing certain speaker parameters. If you're lucky you can check out the same DVD's from your local library.

Report back.

Thanks for the reply's everyone, I think I have it figured out. 

On 6/22/2018 at 7:49 PM, rebuy said:

Not overall volume of the system---Volume on the sub.

the volume on the sub might be too loud.

It can be adjusted on the sub itself and on the AVR until you get the right balance.

Yes, I am aware of gain on the sub vs volume on the receiver, but like it I mentioned, the gain on the sub was turned down very low, leaving me to assuming the volume on the receiver mixed with the receivers crossovers settings were what was over driving the sub. 

On 6/23/2018 at 3:20 AM, Peter P. said:

Port chuffing is a volume issue, not a crossover issue.

I am suspect of the test sources you're using for testing. It may be an issue with how these files are source recorded.

Try using actual movie DVD's. Check some of the subwoofer or home theater suite speaker reviews from Sound and Vision magazine. They typically will mention which movies they used, and which specific passages they used, when reviewing certain speaker parameters. If you're lucky you can check out the same DVD's from your local library.

Report back.

Yeah, might not be the best source to test, but I have things working much better as I'll explain below. I just found those demos after setting up my system and could immediately tell I didn't have things dialed in quiet right using them. I had to use these demo's because I sold all my DVD's a decade ago and never bought into Blu-Ray. What I can't stream, I torrent these days. :) 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:13 AM, Frzninvt said:

You are expecting too much from an entry level sub.  9 o'clock is too much gain back it down to 4 or 5 o'clock or less.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me, this subs gain set to the 9 o'clock position is a very low gain setting, like level 2-3.

Ok, so part of my problem was I couldn't access and adjust certain features on my receiver without a television hooked up. Once I got my new TV setup this weekend, I was able to tinker around with the receivers full settings. Like I suspected it was all crossover. I made sure all my speakers were set to small, dialed in their distance from the best seat in the house, set the receivers crossover to 80Hz and turned the low pass on the sub all the way up and the gain to about a 3 and BOOM! Everything sounds super balanced, very tight base, zero chuffing and those sound demos I was using to test, sound night and day better. Had a few friends and neighbors come by throughout the weekend and they were all blown away as am I now.  

My living room is still a work in progress and the media console I am using is just temp till I build my custom one, but I'm still pretty stoked on how it's all coming together.

Screenshot_7.jpg

Edited by sharp3d
  • Like 1

Had the same problem on my R10SWi. Had to turn the gain down to 2 or 3, and set receiver sub gain to minimum level. Something else that helped was setting sub to LFE, and letting the receiver do all the crossover. Wall positioning plays a big deal on this sub. I have the port about 4" from the wall. Once I played around and figured these things out, the sub lights my room up quite well. This was for 2.1ch audio and I love it for that.

Now, as far as theater duties, I feel even at an entry level, the sub just can't handle it. Once it hits 25-30Hz, it sounds like poo. If you can, return it and spend the extra $100 on the 12"

I had one of the r10s yes gain was maybe 4 or 10oclockish.  The r10sw is OK it plays down to 30ish and often booms in the 40 to 50hz range due to the room.

Simply take an spl reading using a phone app playing a 2khz tone then play a 50hz test tone from youtube and adjys5t tg6e sub gain so the spl readings are the same.

Lol i love the amaze trailer i use it everytime i do autocal 

5 hours ago, alxlwson said:

Had the same problem on my R10SWi. Had to turn the gain down to 2 or 3, and set receiver sub gain to minimum level. Something else that helped was setting sub to LFE, and letting the receiver do all the crossover. Wall positioning plays a big deal on this sub. I have the port about 4" from the wall. Once I played around and figured these things out, the sub lights my room up quite well. This was for 2.1ch audio and I love it for that.

Now, as far as theater duties, I feel even at an entry level, the sub just can't handle it. Once it hits 25-30Hz, it sounds like poo. If you can, return it and spend the extra $100 on the 12"

Hi, yes I believe this is what I did by letting the receiver handle the crossover set to 80Hz and I set the subs low-pass knob all the way up to LFE and gain to around 3-3.5. Sounds perfect now! I think a 12" would be too big for my room. I've experience no distortion or port noise since dialing in the settings like this. Very happy.  

3 hours ago, sharp3d said:

Hi, yes I believe this is what I did by letting the receiver handle the crossover set to 80Hz and I set the subs low-pass knob all the way up to LFE and gain to around 3-3.5. Sounds perfect now! I think a 12" would be too big for my room. I've experience no distortion or port noise since dialing in the settings like this. Very happy.  

Glad to help! @CECAA850 is correct though. The bigger you go, the less you have to push it. Obviously there is a limit to that, but a 12" sub in a small 1/2 bathroom would still be punchy when dialed in correctly.

2 minutes ago, alxlwson said:

Glad to help! @CECAA850 is correct though. The bigger you go, the less you have to push it. Obviously there is a limit to that, but a 12" sub in a small 1/2 bathroom would still be punchy when dialed in correctly.

Gotcha, well for now I'm pretty happy. I've always had 5.1 systems in a box with pretty weak subs, so this is a massive upgrade for me. Plus I'm not sure if the 12" sub would fit under my cabinet that I built to hold my Laserdisc player. :) 

1 hour ago, sharp3d said:

Gotcha, well for now I'm pretty happy. I've always had 5.1 systems in a box with pretty weak subs, so this is a massive upgrade for me. Plus I'm not sure if the 12" sub would fit under my cabinet that I built to hold my Laserdisc player. :) 

Mmm laserdisc. I remember the first one I watched- Robocop 2. Dad had just got stationed to Naples, Italy and the NEX had one playing in the HT room. They had the VHS playing on an identical projector TV right next to it. The difference was night and day. One of those odd memories I've held on to. I suppose because seeing that giant disc.

Crazy to think that DVD took so much time to happen after the short life of LD.

Begs the question though... Why on earth? Some releases that didn't make it to DVD that you like?

25 minutes ago, alxlwson said:

Mmm laserdisc. I remember the first one I watched- Robocop 2. Dad had just got stationed to Naples, Italy and the NEX had one playing in the HT room. They had the VHS playing on an identical projector TV right next to it. The difference was night and day. One of those odd memories I've held on to. I suppose because seeing that giant disc.

Crazy to think that DVD took so much time to happen after the short life of LD.

Begs the question though... Why on earth? Some releases that didn't make it to DVD that you like?

WHOAH! Crazy! My dad was Air Force and we were stationed in Naples in the early 90's! I remember the base entirely as well at the NATO base.

My laserdisc collecting started because I'm a huge Star Wars fan. The highest quality, untainted by George Lucas versions are on Laserdisc and the collectors edition just looked so cool. I found a copy on craigslist for $50. After I had the movies, I realized I had to be able to watch so I snagged a higher end player for dirt cheap. The quality is still pretty good, maybe a rung or two below DVD and the audio for a lot of big movies is excellent. Add the the fact that basically every movie from the late 70's on up till around 2002 was released on laserdisc and can be had for about $1-5 and like you pointed out... who wouldn't want to watch Robocop on an antiquated disc based medium like Laserdisc? It's just kind of Cyber-Punk. Also Laserdisc was the first medium that criterion released movies on. 2001: A Space odyssey or Blade Runner: Directors Cut, Criterion on laserdisc? Yes please! haha There's just something fun about watching movies I grew up loving in all it's grainy composite video glory. 

34 minutes ago, sharp3d said:

WHOAH! Crazy! My dad was Air Force and we were stationed in Naples in the early 90's! I remember the base entirely as well at the NATO base.

My laserdisc collecting started because I'm a huge Star Wars fan. The highest quality, untainted by George Lucas versions are on Laserdisc and the collectors edition just looked so cool. I found a copy on craigslist for $50. After I had the movies, I realized I had to be able to watch so I snagged a higher end player for dirt cheap. The quality is still pretty good, maybe a rung or two below DVD and the audio for a lot of big movies is excellent. Add the the fact that basically every movie from the late 70's on up till around 2002 was released on laserdisc and can be had for about $1-5 and like you pointed out... who wouldn't want to watch Robocop on an antiquated disc based medium like Laserdisc? It's just kind of Cyber-Punk. Also Laserdisc was the first medium that criterion released movies on. 2001: A Space odyssey or Blade Runner: Directors Cut, Criterion on laserdisc? Yes please! haha There's just something fun about watching movies I grew up loving in all it's grainy composite video glory. 

Small world! We were there '94-97. Spent a year in Naples at the Hotel, then a year in Pinatamare at the Towers, then a year in Caserta. I wanna take the wife sometime.

I remember going to the AFSOUTH NATO station several times to visit a friend of dad's.

And damn, now I wanna find an LD player and the original trilogy. I still have my old VHS set "enhanced" by Lucas. I still can't believe he chopped up all the original film. Having a 20MP transfer of the originals would be pretty sweet.

20 minutes ago, alxlwson said:

Small world! We were there '94-97. Spent a year in Naples at the Hotel, then a year in Pinatamare at the Towers, then a year in Caserta. I wanna take the wife sometime.

I remember going to the AFSOUTH NATO station several times to visit a friend of dad's.

And damn, now I wanna find an LD player and the original trilogy. I still have my old VHS set "enhanced" by Lucas. I still can't believe he chopped up all the original film. Having a 20MP transfer of the originals would be pretty sweet.

I remember those towers! Wasn't there a small shoppette near by that also rented videos? Haha I used to love playing soccer in Carny Park.

But yeah the star wars laserdisc collection. It's such a nice set.

Image result for star wars definitive collection laserdisc

It's 3 discs per movie! haha 

Here's a little more about the collection. I got mine for only $50!

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2013/04/19/Star-Wars-Trilogy-The-Definitive-Collection

1 hour ago, sharp3d said:

I remember those towers! Wasn't there a small shoppette near by that also rented videos? Haha I used to love playing soccer in Carny Park.

But yeah the star wars laserdisc collection. It's such a nice set.

Image result for star wars definitive collection laserdisc

It's 3 discs per movie! haha 

Here's a little more about the collection. I got mine for only $50!

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2013/04/19/Star-Wars-Trilogy-The-Definitive-Collection

Yeah, several small shops on the drag up to the US elementary school. The best sammiches ever were there, guy named Bennie and his dad ran the small deli. It's been a 20 year hunt for those spicy marinated mushrooms he would load them up with.

Carny Park brings back serious memories. Dad used to have me run/bike with him and we'd hit all those little fitness stations around the park. The pool was always nice to go to. When they put in that big water slide, it was ON. Haha. What years were y'all there?

I'm very jelly of the LD set. I gotta find one!