Subwoofer comparison help needed....

Kalifornian

So I have a combo living, dining, kitchen, open complex "listening room" that is approximately 10,000 cubic feet with several hallways and large windows.  Currently am using a custom dual 15" sub powered by crown amp up front and center, with a small monoprice 12" cheapo sub behind the couch for the impact feel during movies. The Belle Klipsches are taking up too much space in the cubbies.  Not the best setup but whatever I'm all about the journey.  Anyways I am looking to get new AVR with dual sub eq (Marantz SR7012) current is SR6007 and its starting to die.  I am looking at swapping out my most of my gear and am thinking Forte III for front speaker duties which allows me to put a subwoofer in either cubbie next to the speakers.  I'd like to keep each subwoofer at under $1,000 and the other contraint is a cab that is less than 24" deep with grill on.  I've done DIY subwoofers and not interested in doing that anymore so I have narrowed it down to the following...

Monoprice Monolith 12" - $799

HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP - $799

Outlaw Ultra-x12 - $659

I HAVE to feel the bass in movies and music.  Currently when I play the opening scene from Edge of Tomorrow I can feel the pressure change in the room and hear the large windows in the room flex (which is good) but I'm lacking the chest thump for music and gunshots in movies.  Will I be able to achieve this in a 10,000 cubic foot room with only the two of the subwoofers listed??? Placing is limited to being next to the mains in the cubby...

Thoughts? Opinions? Looking for sub "experts" that might be able to shed some light on things.  I've tried REW and minidsp but I'm to impatient and stupid to get it to work right so no go on that.  Looking for a simple solution of someone elses hard work developing a good sub that I can use :)

5 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

Anyways I am looking to get new AVR with dual sub eq (Marantz SR7012)

I can't help you with the sub choice, I've not heard any of those.

I do like your choice of the Marantz 7012.  It's got strong power for an AVR and almost unlimited features.  I have the 6011 and I think the 7012 is technically superior, better DAC or higher sampling rate, something like that.

13 hours ago, jason str said:

A 18" x 15"  THTLP slim is likely a smaller footprint than the current sub unless height is an issue.

What is the 3rd dimension? The sub i found on the fitzmeyer website is loooong....Im limited by my cubbies to 40" tall...

36 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

What is the 3rd dimension? The sub i found on the fitzmeyer website is loooong....Im limited by my cubbies to 40" tall...

6 Ft , you want big sound it takes a large cabinet. No free rides in audio.

36" x 36 x 15 would be the other option, same horn configured (folded) differently.

• Like 1

Could the 18'x15"x6foot be laid down behind a couch against a wall? And either fire into the wall or up the wall?
Yes. The mouth just has to be 18" from a boundary (ideally).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Moderators
On 6/22/2018 at 6:50 PM, jason str said:

Switching over to direct radiating mains will be a downgrade any way you slice it.

I agree 100% , if there is any way possible add a horn sub to the horn mains. Even with my old abused ears I can hear the difference. 

• Like 1

I get the appreciation for horn subs, esp if you like music.

But 10k cft is gigantic and my personal view is if you want  feel you need several ported subs.

I would plan on 4 subs and all at least 15" and preferably 18"

My pref is DIY....ultimax 18sin large ported enclosures

if ID subs i reco Seaton, Rythmik, SVS or PSA

Your choices imo are not enough firepower for the room but are fine subs