Best female vocals, looking for suggestions

joessportster

I have mostly avoided female Vocals and so am woefully out of my element. After recent acquisition of Jennifer Warrnes Famous Blue Raincoat  I find myself wanting more female vocals of the same type quality. I often hear different folks here speak fondly of female vocals and so here I am asking whom you all think stands out in the crowd.

I have some Adele, Patricia Barber, and Diana krall and while they are good I frankly feel like they pale in comparison. Could be I obviously have not heard a great recording by any of them

Strange how ones musical tastes change over the years................... 

• Like 1

I have mostly avoided female Vocals and so am woefully out of my element. After recent acquisition of Jennifer Warrnes Famous Blue Raincoat  I find myself wanting more female vocals of the same type quality. I often hear different folks here speak fondly of female vocals and so here I am asking whom you all think stands out in the crowd.

I have some Adele, Patricia Barber, and Diana krall and while they are good I frankly feel like they pale in comparison. Could be I obviously have not heard a great recording by any of them

Strange how ones musical tastes change over the years................... 

Rosanne Cash
“The List”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She might not be the best vocalist but I like Julia from Angus and Julia Stone:

Im not sure who sings on this track but Santana's version of 'While my guitar gently weeps" is on another level: 

• Like 3

Joe. Eva Cassidy.  Best album is "Fields of Gold" . Sorry that's a song. I meant to say "Songbird"  Local gal to you and me. Sadly gone now too early, to the Big C.

Also Rickie Lee Jones, first album self-titled.  Shows her on the front of the album wearing a beret.

You will thank me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, thebes said:

Also Rickie Lee Jones, first album self-titled.  Shows her on the front of the album wearing a beret.

As an early adopter of a CD player (1983, when it was Sony or nothing), this was one of the very first CD's available. Great music, well recorded, and Steve Gadd on drums. Still holds up after 35 years!