Best female vocals, looking for suggestions

joessportster

On 5/18/2019 at 8:34 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

im a little late to this thread but i just read through all 8 pages & am amazed that no one mentioned one of the best female rock vocalists ever... ann wilson of heart!  she has an amazing voice & can sing heavy rock songs & softer ballads effortlessly, not to mention in the early days she was drop dead gorgeous!  same with her sister nancy!  ann can still sing today as good as ever!  

A big second for Heart!  Anybody who’s seen their performance of Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors will know just how good the band is and how good Ann Wilson’s vocals are.  It brought Robert Plant to tears.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 10:46 PM, sunburnwilly said:

A 16 year old at the time Suzuka Nakamoto aka Su-metal

Yikes!  The best thing about Babymetal is the backing group, the Kami Band.  The singing is not exactly outstanding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Islander said:

A big second for Heart!  Anybody who’s seen their performance of Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors will know just how good the band is and how good Ann Wilson’s vocals are.  It brought Robert Plant to tears.

I'm in love... again

1 hour ago, sputnik said:

Classic Joni Mitchell, still absolutely amazing.

When Joni Mitchell was young, and her voice hadn't yet felt the ravishes of an extremely heavy cigarette-smoking habit, she had a full three octaves to play with!  Unique in every way...voice, vocal inflections, instrument playing abilities, musical timing,, song-writing skills... you name it, just one of a kind...sadly, there will probably will never be anybody like her again, IMHO! 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

When Joni Mitchell was young, and her voice hadn't yet felt the ravishes of an extremely heavy cigarette-smoking habit, she had a full three octaves to play with!  Unique in every way...voice, vocal inflections, instrument playing abilities, musical timing,, song-writing skills... you name it, just one of a kind...sadly, there will probably will never be anybody like her again, IMHO! 

All that and she did the cover artwork for many of her albums. 

• Like 3

I’m glad to see Annie Lennox was mentioned.  If you watch the video for Why, you’ll be a fan.

For rock music, Shirley Manson of Garbage is pretty good.  The band is good, the lyrics are interesting, and the recording is great, which is not surprising, given that the drummer, Butch Vig, is known as a great producer.

Kate Bush is really great, but her vocals can be an acquired taste.

Annie Haslam from Renaissance is also really talented.

Ichiko Aoba is worth investigating.  As well as soft and a bit breathy singing, she’s a master acoustic guitarist.  Circus Night, the song with the line ”tightrope dancing”, is a good song to start with.  The YouTube clip of that song shows only a still picture of a girl in a beige coat, wearing a long dark scarf, with a seascape behind her.  Sorry I can’t post a link.  My MacBook is in the shop, and this iPad can show me only one window at a time.

Hey, Sputnik, great to see you on here again.  Hope everything is going great for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sputnik said:

All that and she did the cover artwork for many of her albums. 

Joni Michell self-produced all of her albums, was severely-stricken with polio as a child and almost died from it...that health issue has recurred on her numerous times in adulthood, also....among others...she has always been a night owl...gets up late in the afternoon, paints all night., smoking heavily as she does so....her passion is actually that of a graphic artist, and she is really a GREAT artist!...but she will be forever remembered for her music...more than anything else.  She admits that it perplexes her, too!  I've been a fan ever since 1969!

• Like 3

Thanks Pat! I'm still kick'n and lurking around here. Good to see you posting too. Someday, Mrs. Sputnik and I will be making a trip out your way and would love to meet up. 

Did anyone mentioned kd lang earlier?

• Like 1

Well, that would be mighty cool, sputnik!  I’m nearly always here, and you two would be totally welcome.  I’d also be happy to show you around my fine town.  Right now, I’m listening to Van Morrison on the Tacoma jazz & blues station and looking south at the Olympic mountain range.  The views are great here.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Thanks Pat! I'm still kick'n and lurking around here. Good to see you posting too. Someday, Mrs. Sputnik and I will be making a trip out your way and would love to meet up. 

Did anyone mentioned kd lang earlier?

Love her Orbison...