Best female vocals, looking for suggestions

joessportster

9 minutes ago, Islander said:

Well, that would be mighty cool, sputnik!  I’m nearly always here, and you two would be totally welcome.  I’d also be happy to show you around my fine town.  Right now, I’m listening to Van Morrison on the Tacoma jazz & blues station and looking south at the Olympic mountain range.  The views are great here.

That really would be cool. Looking out my window too but it's already here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sputnik said:

That really would be cool. Looking out my window too but it's already here. 

Yeah, the little mountains around here probably don’t compare with the ones in your backyard.  The biggest one we can see is Mount Baker, 120 km/75 miles away in Washington State.  It’s 11,000 feet high, and is visible most days, if it’s not raining.

• Haha 1

Candice Night.  Great voice.  Great...  um...  all around talent.

She fronts the band Blackmore's Night, and is married to Ritchie Blackmore.  Yeah, that Ritchie.  Deep Purple.  Rainbow.  Smoke on the Water.  He is even more phenomenal on guitar now, than when he was playing for Purple.  They mostly do modern takes on Medieval / Renaissance music, with some covers thrown in for fun.  The kind of music you can put on in the background and enjoy while working.

• Like 1

A lot of singers can sound really good, in a studio setting where you record the same thing over and over, and assemble a song from the best bits.

The real test is "Can you sing for an hour and half, and sound fantastic all the way through?".

• Like 1

Here are 10 great female singers, IMHO, worth checking out.

1.) Sandy Denny

2.) Irma Thomas

3.) Linda Thompson

4.) Ella Fitzgerald

5.) Alison Krauss

6.) Dinah Washington

7.) Angela Strehli

8.)Mahalia Jackson

9.) Eva Cassidy

10.) Karrin Allyson.

There are plenty of other great women singers worth exploring in many various genres.

• Like 1

While considering the alternatives to talking about vocal quality as a screening criterion (i.e., there are a lot of female vocalists that aren't what many might agree to possessing quality vocal characteristics), I instead just assembled a single page spreadsheet that arranges most noted non-classical female vocalists (sourced from Wikipedia) into three groups by vocal range: contralto, mezzo-soprano, and soprano.  There are something like 700+ vocalists on this list, and if you click a link it will immediately take you to the corresponding Wikipedia page for that artist and/or group.  I found it handy...so here you go:

List of female singers in non-classical music.xlsx

Chris

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...