Best female vocals, looking for suggestions

joessportster

On 6/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, joessportster said:

I have mostly avoided female Vocals and so am woefully out of my element. After recent acquisition of Jennifer Warrnes Famous Blue Raincoat  I find myself wanting more female vocals of the same type quality. I often hear different folks here speak fondly of female vocals and so here I am asking whom you all think stands out in the crowd.

I have some Adele, Patricia Barber, and Diana krall and while they are good I frankly feel like they pale in comparison. Could be I obviously have not heard a great recording by any of them

Strange how ones musical tastes change over the years................... 

Mr. A. Songer introduced me to Jazz and included with that was singer Billie Holiday. At first I didn't really think about her voice because I was too involved with following the lyrics. At the time I was new to Jazz, still am, ... but after a while the timber of her voice caught up to and grew on me. There has never been another like her.

Also like the lead singer of "O'Ryans Island" and "Cowboy Junkies", and of course everybody's heard of Amy Winehouse. Those chicks can also sing their hearts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Mr. A. Songer introduced me to Jazz and included with that was singer Billie Holiday. At first I didn't really think about her voice because I was too involved with following the lyrics. At the time I was new to Jazz, still am, ... but after a while the timber of her voice caught up to and grew on me. There has never been another like her.

Also like the lead singer of "O'Ryans Island" and "Cowboy Junkies", and of course everybody's heard of Amy Winehouse. Those chicks can also sing their hearts.

Waiting on delivery of Amy Winehouse Vinyl box set.  Could not agree more about her voice.  I still find it difficult to listen to some  Jazz at any length. The latest setup does allow me to tolerate different genre more so May be time to revisit Billie Holiday, No time like the present I have a couple lossless files i need to add to my player

• Like 1

Waiting on delivery of Amy Winehouse Vinyl box set.  Could not agree more about her voice.  I still find it difficult to listen to some  Jazz at any length. The latest setup does allow me to tolerate different genre more so May be time to revisit Billie Holiday, No time like the present I have a couple lossless files i need to add to my player

For me, Jazz was like Scotch. It's an acquired taste. I was lucky enough to have Alan compile a bunch of CDs with a lot of his favorites.

He was a really cool dude, I miss his contributions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

For me, Jazz was like Scotch. It's an acquired taste. I was lucky enough to have Alan compile a bunch of CDs with a lot of his favorites.

He was a really cool dude, I miss his contributions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Possible to get a partial list of said CD's...............................I find people of a same (ish) mindset in audio sometimes listen to the same music (to a degree of course..........)

Just got my Amy Winehouse Box set in............Now to convince myself to open it and forget about how some of this vinyl goes CRAZY in price once OOP.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, joessportster said:

Amy is top 10 on my list of female singers in my book for sure. Mixes so many styles and makes it her own. Sad how her life was a mess. RIP!

On 7/8/2019 at 12:52 PM, joessportster said:

Possible to get a partial list of said CD's...............................I find people of a same (ish) mindset in audio sometimes listen to the same music (to a degree of course..........)

Just got my Amy Winehouse Box set in............Now to convince myself to open it and forget about how some of this vinyl goes CRAZY in price once OOP.

I your vinyl digitally processed or with analog equipment?

JJK