"Final" Configuration of System

Mallette

_IMG5572.thumb.JPG.84ff2bdeb998bc49f755387282f6483c.JPG
Well, all of you who've been around know what a joke that is. OTOH, this is my third re-arrangement since I moved in early April and I think it's a keeper for a while. But I'll wait at least a year before doing any cable management. Learned that the hard way over the years. This is the overall view. UPS for the HT PC on the bottom, next to the complete 3 Stooges collection. Some may recognize the venerable MBS-5, first build in 2001 the year mini-ITX mobos came out. Nothing original left but the case, which I think is the prettiest ever. To its left is the main power center. One switch controls all except the HT PC. Might add that the PC boots Windows 10 in 8 seconds. 

_IMG5569_-_Copy.JPG

Left to right top row, cassette deck, DBX 400X switching unit to handle the variety of single paths required by the various processes and devices, below it DBX4BX dynamic restoration unit, then RekOKut Re-Equalizer for 78RPRM records (a miracle worker!), and finally the Tascam DA3000 DSF record/play deck with my FM transmitter on top. TT on the left is Empire 598 Mark II dedicated to 78s, Sony P-4300. Middle shelf left is  Van Alstine Super PAS4I preamp with RCA selector on top that chooses output to the subwoofer (seen in other pix I've posted), and Yamaha ATMOS HT receiver with Sony BluRay players on top. Already described the stuff below.

Yeah, rather complex. But what I like to do requires all this stuff. Just to get away from it from time to time while I read or entertain guests, I retire to the rather purist, simple living room system.  

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

_IMG5572.thumb.JPG.84ff2bdeb998bc49f755387282f6483c.JPG
Well, all of you who've been around know what a joke that is. OTOH, this is my third re-arrangement since I moved in early April and I think it's a keeper for a while. But I'll wait at least a year before doing any cable management. Learned that the hard way over the years. This is the overall view. UPS for the HT PC on the bottom, next to the complete 3 Stooges collection. Some may recognize the venerable MBS-5, first build in 2001 the year mini-ITX mobos came out. Nothing original left but the case, which I think is the prettiest ever. To its left is the main power center. One switch controls all except the HT PC. Might add that the PC boots Windows 10 in 8 seconds. 

_IMG5569_-_Copy.JPG

Left to right top row, cassette deck, DBX 400X switching unit to handle the variety of single paths required by the various processes and devices, below it DBX4BX dynamic restoration unit, then RekOKut Re-Equalizer for 78RPRM records (a miracle worker!), and finally the Tascam DA3000 DSF record/play deck with my FM transmitter on top. TT on the left is Empire 598 Mark II dedicated to 78s, Sony P-4300. Middle shelf left is  Van Alstine Super PAS4I preamp with RCA selector on top that chooses output to the subwoofer (seen in other pix I've posted), and Yamaha ATMOS HT receiver with Sony BluRay players on top. Already described the stuff below.

Yeah, rather complex. But what I like to do requires all this stuff. Just to get away from it from time to time while I read or entertain guests, I retire to the rather purist, simple living room system.  

Dave

I was going to ask you why two turntables but then you might ask me why I have 4 computers.

JJK

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I was going to ask you why two turntables but then you might ask me why I have 4 computers.

Actually 3 TTs. One is in the living room "pure" system.

5 computers and a tablet in the house, but only one in the system. 

Dave

3 hours ago, babadono said:

I think he stated one dedicated to 78 RPMs. Stayed with Dave one night before the pilgrimage this year. His system sounded awesome. He's Ok too:)

Thank you, Sir. You guys are welcome back anytime.

Dave

Crap. Sorry, bud. Accidental use of Moderator powers... Happens to you when you get old. Had no intention of editing your post, but I meant what I said.

Dave

10 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Crap. Sorry, bud. Accidental use of Moderator powers... Happens to you when you get old. Had no intention of editing your post, but I meant what I said.

Dave

I almost posted about this but then realized it because of your "powers". It's all good, no worries. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Mallette said:

Well, all of you who've been around know what a joke that is.

When I read the title I laughed, nothing's final.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

You need more... remotes.

😛

That was the second time I laughed after looking at the picture.

But I'm the same way, I have never been brave enough to try an all in one remote.

I'm not so great about organizing wires, ONE time I  organized them, tie wraps everything perfect, a few weeks later a DVD player died and had to move things around for the new one to fit right, it was a pain to replace, no more.

Looking good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dtel said:

When I read the title I laughed, nothing's final.

That was the second time I laughed after looking at the picture.

But I'm the same way, I have never been brave enough to try an all in one remote.

I'm not so great about organizing wires, ONE time I  organized them, tie wraps everything perfect, a few weeks later a DVD player died and had to move things around for the new one to fit right, it was a pain to replace, no more.

Looking good.

You have to use those grey colored plastic finger box trays for the wires.

JJK

I am comfortable with systems that have exposed cables and multiple remotes... I have four remotes myself.

in as far as cable nazi's are concerned... give it a friggen rest!

whenever I show my system, the very first comment I receive is invariably "hide that cable"... ONE SINGLE CABLE!

28100057847_cf0eaba943_b.jpg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

You have to use those grey colored plastic finger box trays for the wires.

JJK

If I were organized probably so, I tend to put everything behind a stand or something to hide my lack of organising skills and laziness. Power cords and wires and cables crossing everywhere, it's a wonder it has not caused a hum or buzz, unless that's a myth ?

To show off my organizing AND dusting skills this is a picture from a little over a year ago, it's much different now, I changed the stand it all sits on.   :o :biggrin2: 

It's all me, NO ONE is willing to dust this stuff, it's up to me.

speakers-2.JPG.e0eca1104d991cf013bc4950587e8200.JPG

3 hours ago, Don Richard said:

Empire turntable? I had one of those, an oldie but goody👍

Saw it first about 1969 in the same store in Texarkana where I purchased my first Frazier speakers. Lusted mightily, but at 350.00 an impossible dream at the time.

Dave

5 minutes ago, haydukej said:

Ok, I'll bite...why the cassette deck? 

Variety of reasons. I have some metal, Dolby C, cassettes that sound as good as anything digital today. I also have some tapes, notably of my grandmother, of family history. One of them is my grandmother singing hillbilly folk songs that are probably unique as she was born in 1889. My mother and her sisters sitting around a campfire at my Cossatot River property singing hymns and other songs in the 70s. Others as well. I have recordings in all media including Edison cylinders. Latest and greatest isn't my interest...it's the MUSIC and the history.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The 8 track is being repaired.

If you have an 8 track be careful of the old cassettes you put into it as a lot of them have those plastic rollers that melt into the main unit and pretty much make it useless. Been there done that.

JJK