Marantz SR5012 with Klipsch RP-450c

RAndrews

Really need your advice. I am planning to build a 5.1 system with Klipsch RP-260F towers, RP-450C center channel, R112sw Sub and RP250S surrounds. I may add 2 ceiling speakers later to make it 5.1.2. I am planning to buy the Marantz SR 5012 Receiver. I noticed that this receiver is rated 100 W per channel. However the RP-450C center channel is rated 150 W and RP-260F's are rated 125W each. Will the woofers/tweeters get damaged by under powering them with the 100W / channel receiver? You comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by RAndrews
typo

@RAndrews,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice system you are contemplating.

I would not worry too much about the speaker power ratings but do want to point out that the "100w/channel" Marantz 5012 is really something like 60w/channel with 7 channels driven.  I can't say this with factual certainty but below is a bench test of the previous generation Marantz flagship model SR7011.

Marantz SR7011 A/V Receiver Review Test Bench

Test Bench

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 138.7 watts
1% distortion at 169.1 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 104.9 watts
1% distortion at 117.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 75.1 watts
1% distortion at 90.4 watts

Bill

@RAndrews,

None of the above information is intended to startle you but just wanted to inform you a bit more.  Much goes into planning a system and many factors have not been specified yet.

How many speakers are to planning to power?

How large is your room?

How loud do you like it?

Bill

Thanks much Bill! I am planning to have 5.1 speakers in a media room and the room size is 14x18. I may add 2 additional ceiling speakers later to make it 5.1.2.

Regarding the volume level, 

I tried Marantz SR 5012 with 2 RP260F towers in stereo mode and I was comfortable with a volume level of 60. I am not sure if that may be enough if when I have the whole 5.1.2 setup.

The speaker arrangement you are contemplating has much larger speakers than my system, but to give you a comparison, I have a Marantz SR5012 driving an older and smaller all Klipsch 5.1.2 system and this setup has the best sound I’ve ever experienced in my numerous iterations of a Home Theater System. I use my Surround setup primarily for watching Music DVD’s and Movie DVD’s, mostly Blu-ray. I have a separate system for 2 Channel (Vinyl, CDs, Tapes). The SR5012 appears to drive my speakers effortlessly. However, you should be aware that the SR5012 runs very hot. I tried an SR6012 and it had a great sound, but ran too hot, much hotter than I thought it should. I purchased an Infrared Thermometer and tested the temperature of the top of the unit while playing a 4K UHD Blu-ray movie. After about an hour into the movie I measured the temperature of the top ventilated area of the SR6012 and it measured approximately 120 degrees Fahrenheit; it was 82 degrees Fahrenheit while in standby prior to the movie. This particular movie didn’t have a lot of sustained dramatic front sound or surround content, so the 5 operating amplifiers didn’t get much of a workout. I contacted Marantz support and they agreed that 120 measured was perhaps a little too high, so I sent the SR6012 back, but liked the sound so I bought the SR5012 and although it runs hot as well, it isn’t as hot as the SR6012. For me, the SR5012 is a keeper!!!!!! However, when the SR5012 is operating, not in standby, I make sure there is plenty of ventilation!

Here is my setup:

Surround Receiver: Marantz SR5012

Front Speakers (2): Klipsch RB61’s

Center Channel (1): Klipsch RC62

Surround (2): Klipsch RS42’s

Dolby Atmos (2): Klipsch RP-140SA

Subwoofer (1): Klipsch RW10d

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Here is a twist on the question... I also have a Marantz 5012 but I own both Klipsch Fortes, Heresys and KEF LS50s. Is the 5012 powerful/clear enough to push those speakers as intended? I enjoy my sessions of switching the front A/B speakers to hear the differences of each speaker. Thanks.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:37 PM, Philip said:

Here is a twist on the question... I also have a Marantz 5012 but I own both Klipsch Fortes, Heresys and KEF LS50s. Is the 5012 powerful/clear enough to push those speakers as intended? I enjoy my sessions of switching the front A/B speakers to hear the differences of each speaker. Thanks.

You should have no problem at all with the Marantz, even though the KEF aren’t too sensitive!