KLF-30s in Houston?

Cody_Mack

4 hours ago, Cody_Mack said:

Anyone score the KLF-30s on Houston Craigslist? They were still there last night but gone this morning. Knew I should've jumped on it yesterday when I first saw it!

Rick

I asked for a trade for Chorus and got no response. First pair of KLF-30's I've ever seen in Houston.

you can re tune your Chorus and if you use a  power amp with some real poop you will near sounds you never knew a Chorus could make. I would rather have a Chorus (especially a Chorus ll) than a KLF30 though a KLF30 will push more air  than a single 15 can but the Chorus when fed power can really impress. Think 200 watts and up per channel and the Chorus can really sing. Either way both very good loudspeaker but I believe that the single fifteen of the Chorus is more fun more life like to listen to (in my estimation, as always YMMV).

PS: you can rent a 250 - 500 watt per channel pro power amp from a PA shop for a day or a weekend for cheap and see exactly what some raw power can achieve so that you can understand what I am talking about. You will probably be in for a big surprise.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moray james said:

you can re tune your Chorus and if you use a  power amp with some real poop you will near sounds you never knew a Chorus could make. I would rather have a Chorus (especially a Chorus ll) than a KLF30 though a KLF30 will push more air  than a single 15 can but the Chorus when fed power can really impress. Think 200 watts and up per channel and the Chorus can really sing. Either way both very good loudspeaker but I believe that the single fifteen of the Chorus is more fun more life like to listen to (in my estimation, as always YMMV).

I have Chorus II for music and the Chorus are doing movie surround with KLF-10 surrounds and a KLF-C7 center, so I figured I might as well match the fronts but I do quite like the Chorus and I have yet to do the 7" port mod or add titanium tweeter diaphragms or even drive them with much power. Was even considering Ti mids as well but not sure.  Through my research ive found most complained about the harshness and overly loud Ti mids in the Forte II and Chorus II and I've found those who were always speaking positively about the Ti mids usually had them in the Forte I. Different crossover points at fault?  Wonder if it would be the same in the Chorus I as it would for the Forte I?

I've known about the tons of mods to do on the KLF-30's though and it is intriguing. 

There are a lot of people who are sensitive to the resonant mode of ti diaphragms. When they were first introduced by JBL decades ago many pro's flat out refused to use them. Fortunately I am not one of those people. If you have listened to any of the RF series (almost  all are ti horn drivers) and you liked them then you can safely cross yourself off of the list of ti diaphragms being a problem. All the new Klipsch use ti skins and all the pro units are ti. The ti diaphragms will take your speakers way beyond what the old stock phenolic are capable of. Most of all the mid is where the magic is. You may want to adjust mid output levels a little but so what? If you are not willing to do that then you need to accept the level of performance available from the stock units. There's nothing wrong with staying with the phenolic diaphragms if you want to. There are mods that can make stock drives sound better but why not make the jump into the 21 century? Remember that there are lots of people out there offering you advice who cannot hear their way out of a wet paper bag with their Pioneer or Denon AV receivers and garbage sources. This is really old crap people are discussing when some of the best engineers in the business worked all this stuff out decades back and new people with no clue start it all back up and never bother to read up on any of this. The Engineering staff at Klipsch have figured out how to mostly mitigate ti issues as have all the other big boys in the pool but like I said if you have very sensitive hearing in the 8.5 KHz. range then ti drive diaphragms may not be your best choice and you will want to switch to Aluminum or synthetic/plastic or coated diaphragm options or just stick with the stock diaphragms.

• Like 3

There are a lot of people who are sensitive to the resonant mode of ti diaphragms. When they were first introduced by JBL decades ago many pro's flat out refused to use them. Fortunately I am not one of those people. If you have listened to any of the RF series (almost  all are ti horn drivers) and you liked them then you can safely cross yourself off of the list of ti diaphragms being a problem. All the new Klipsch use ti skins and all the pro units are ti. The ti diaphragms will take your speakers way beyond what the old stock phenolic are capable of. Most of all the mid is where the magic is. You may want to adjust mid output levels a little but so what? If you are not willing to do that then you need to accept the level of performance available from the stock units. There's nothing wrong with staying with the phenolic diaphragms if you want to. There are mods that can make stock drives sound better but why not make the jump into the 21 century? Remember that there are lots of people out there offering you advice who cannot hear their way out of a wet paper bag with their Pioneer or Denon AV receivers and garbage sources. This is really old crap people are discussing when some of the best engineers in the business worked all this stuff out decades back and new people with no clue start it all back up and never bother to read up on any of this. The Engineering staff at Klipsch have figured out how to mostly mitigate ti issues as have all the other big boys in the pool but like I said if you have very sensitive hearing in the 8.5 KHz. range then ti drive diaphragms may not be your best choice and you will want to switch to Aluminum or synthetic/plastic or coated diaphragm options or just stick with the stock diaphragms.

I had a Rc-7 channel that could get a bit harsh when really loud but I loved that center. I heard the Rf-7 IIs and felt they were a bit too bright but the Rf-7 IIIs are incredible and smooth. My first experience with the ti tweeter was in a KLF-10 and I thought it was a very noticeable change for the better. In 3 ways they haven’t been as noticeable but I have them in my Chorus II. I should note with stock crossovers so perhaps a cap refresh would help make them more noticeable.
I suppose going ti mid in the Chorus I would be a good test as even if I would prefer phenolic for mids in music, the ti would probably be outstanding for movies which is what the Chorus are doing right now anyway. I can always let them break in for a while with movies before truly testing them for music. I definitely need to try it and the tube port mod. The 2.5oz mod on the Chorus II passive radiator kicks *** so I respect your opinion and recommended mods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, moray james said:

you can re tune your Chorus and if you use a  power amp with some real poop you will near sounds you never knew a Chorus could make

First heard Chorus II a few months back, from this gear dealer and Klipsch lover in Houston, out in the middle of his crowded small living room. He also had Cornwall Is to audition, right there in the same space. He plugged in some lamp cord and plugged the other end into a Carver powerhouse! Toto 'Hold The Line" was freaking rockin' the house! The shear dynamics and authority was overwhelming. My friend was looking for speakers, and I was getting him into Klipsch, so I set up the session. He wanted to hear the Cornwalls, but the Chorus IIs were on my bucket list to listen to. We listened to the Cornwalls first and he said, meh...I wasn't in the market that day so  he bought the Chorus IIs on the spot!

Later he brought them over for a listen; actually he wanted a shootout with my newly acquired CF-4s. One thing I noticed was the 'graininess' with the Chorus IIs. He was lovin on the sound of the CF-4s, so I politely suggested maybe a crossover update was in order. I will pass along the upgrade possibilities to him.

• Like 1

Some hushmat or dynamat on the pole piece of the mid and tweeter comp drivers along with some properly applied F-11 Acoustical Felt (100%pure wool) both under the diaphragm will do wonders for those drives for improving detail resolution and clarity taking them to a whole new level of reproduction.

So, my interpretation of the 30's would be what I've experienced recently.  Been a 5.5 user for over 20 years.  Just purchased a set of Heresy II's.  Would think that the 30's three way design would be like a blend of the two.  Dual 10's, mid and high horns.  Could be a great combination.  Anyone had the chance to make this distinction?

I tried to buy them almost as soon as they posted.  Got weird responses, tried calling guy didn't pick up.  Called next day and said they were sold.

Was pretty frustrating, but also had a bit of a concern they were a scam.

31 minutes ago, Cody_Mack said:

That is what I am thinking of the KLF-30s; a Heresy on steroids! I have yet to hear them, however. BTW, they have two-12s, not 10s. The KLF-20 has 10s

Rick

I've always imagined the Forte I was a big Heresy, and the Cornwall or Chorus I were roided Heresys.   Apparently the KLF series don't really have a heritage sound, but apparently closer to the RF series.  Could be wrong but I do believe I've seen several posters here make that comparison. 

I tried to buy them almost as soon as they posted.  Got weird responses, tried calling guy didn't pick up.  Called next day and said they were sold.

Was pretty frustrating, but also had a bit of a concern they were a scam.

Maybe he had reservations about selling them and didn’t like the low ball offers or just the offers he was getting and said they were sold but actually kept them? I’ll admit I’ve done the same before. I’ve had my Chorus II up for sale and I grew frustrated with so many low ball offers and weird trade offers(trade for guns) that I just kept them. I was only selling to fund Forte III's but was convinced to stick with the Chorus II. Now I’d probably only trade them for CF-4s or trade plus cash for KHorns. Possibly La Scalas. The Chorus I I don’t really have an attachment to so in a moment of curiosity I offered them for trade for the KLF-30 hours after the ad went up on Craigslist and he didn’t even respond.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Maybe he had reservations about selling them and didn’t like the low ball offers or just the offers he was getting and said they were sold but actually kept them? I’ll admit I’ve done the same before. I’ve had my Chorus II up for sale and I grew frustrated with so many low ball offers and weird trade offers(trade for guns) that I just kept them. I was only selling to fund Forte III's but was convinced to stick with the Chorus II. Now I’d probably only trade them for CF-4s or trade plus cash for KHorns. Possibly La Scalas. The Chorus I I don’t really have an attachment to so in a moment of curiosity I offered them for trade for the KLF-30 hours after the ad went up on Craigslist and he didn’t even respond.

I was flat out willing to pay cash for them and had a buddy set to pick them up.  Guy gave me a weird address (gas station), quit responding to texts and when I tried calling a second time simply said they are sold via text.

So, hoping someone got a great deal... I'm really more interested in CF 4's or CF 3's... but KLF 30's are on my list also.

Well if those are the actual photos of the speaker. I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’m 99% those were CF-4s. Of course I withheld this information for my own benefit but now that they’re officially gone...if you look at the woofer size, they touch the horns, so those are 12s of a CF-4. CF-3s have dual 10s and they don’t touch the horn like the larger 12s. Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong.[mention=58280]wvu80[/mention]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was me that sent that legitimate offer of a trade (thru Craigslist) for a SIG 556.

Too many guns and not enough Klipsch lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LalaWoots said:

That was me that sent that legitimate offer of a trade (thru Craigslist) for a SIG 556.

Too many guns and not enough Klipsch lol.

I have a pair of heresy 1s and apair of heresy 3s depending on what you have on your sig, if youre interested...