Cornwalls Rule - What else fills a big room at this price?

wantabeach

The IIIs are the newest version. They are quite a bit different than your originals. Different drivers, horns, and crossover. 

No cutting the baffles for the drivers - they are “drop in” replacements. 

If you’re happy. Do nothing. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Deang said:

Right, we’re talking 40 year old speakers here. 

Dual phase plug midrange is definitely an upgrade over the old K-55-V.

The K-77 tweeter is a sound I got used to, but it sounds like a kazoo compared to the B&C de-120. 

Cleaning up the network is normal maintenance at this point. 

In your opinion, which of these 2 driver upgrades would you recommend doing first (dual phase K55 or B&C DE120)?  

have to agree with Dean. b&c de120 first. the crites a55g mid driver is incredible.

do yourself a major favour & when you decide to recap the xovers use some higher end caps (see humble homemade hifi for sound characteristics) 

the results of using “boutique” caps will take your breath away. 

(in my build the mids were too forward, a solen 1.8 resistor was the solution)

• 1 month later...

This is not an old tired horse I am riding, but apparently it has been known by lots of Klipsch fanatics for a long time:

A second pair working right there alongside the first will beat heck out of the single pair. I just did it first with my two pair of Super Heresy, then with my two pair of Chorus II's with new Crites CO's and titanium diaphragms in the stock tweeters, and then lastly with 2 pair of just-finished Crites's Cornscalas, mine and my son's pairs. These CS's are like Cornwalls and LaScalas, and the experience would extrapolate to yours.

You have room for a second pair, and the Dynaco stuff has power to spare to run A plus B.

The wall of sound effect is a bit mind blowing, yields a greater positive change than any upgrade available (but I would seriously consider the upgrades too, they are noticeable but are not even close to the noticeable improvement of the second pair of speakers). I thought it only applied to small speakers or speakers that may have a bit deficiency, but the significant improvement is right there with larger, more perfect speakers as well. AND IT IS NOT EQUAL TO JUST TURNING A SINGLE PAIR UP IN VOLUME; it exists at all volume levels.

Wish I had known this earlier . It would have saved me quite a bit of money in my quest for the best.

On 6/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, wantabeach said:

Is there anything current or heritage that comes close

Yes ... Pro speakers ... IMHO "better." (Have Cornwall's and KPT-904's ... only problem with the "Pro's" is the WAF :) )

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Yes ... Pro speakers ... IMHO "better." (Have Cornwall's and KPT-904's ... only problem with the "Pro's" is the WAF :) )

Cheers, Emile

Yeah, if you are gonna drag them  behind your pickup or shoot at them with 75 mm howitzers or sumpin...😋

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, ODS123 said:

I totally agree.  No offense to Mr. Crites, but there’s not a chance I would modify my new Cornwall threes.    It’s amusing how on one the hand we are all about love and praise for Klipsch engineering then on the other hand we’re eager to start yanking out components without any clear empirical proof we are improving things.   But it is not just with Klipsch, or even speakers… There is a whole “I won’t be satisfied with it until I modify it”  subculture  within this hobby.   To each his or her own, personally  I leave everything I buy precisely as it was out of the box. 

I wouldn't touch Corn III's either and I respect this, yet you cant tell me that  Klipsch as a whole can afford to spend and market the very best drivers and components available for the masses at a less than already grossly inflated price.   There are cleaner and better components out there for the Heritage line that do the exact same thing only better.  This is coming from a huge K-55 and K77 fan,  but many are missing out that want more.

On 6/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, JJkizak said:

My Cornwall has a very slight puncture in the bass driver hinge but it sounds great so I never replaced it. Maybe I should though.

JJK

Just put a patch on it. Or trade them in to me for a pair of soon to be Super Cornwalls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I wouldn't touch Corn III's either and I respect this, yet you cant tell me that  Klipsch as a whole can afford to spend and market the very best drivers and components available for the masses at a less than already grossly inflated price.   There are cleaner and better components out there for the Heritage line that do the exact same thing only better.  This is coming from a huge K-55 and K77 fan,  but many are missing out that want more.

You are 100% right on this. That's why I'm working on some Super Cornwall Mod.  as a step up from the surprisingly popular Super Heresy mods.

17 minutes ago, Max2 said:

So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that Klipsch should put (in your opinion, better) drivers and components in their Heritage line of speakers than what is currently offered, and at the same price, or less than the (again, in your opinion) their grossly inflated price?

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that Klipsch should put (in your opinion, better) drivers and components in their Heritage line of speakers than what is currently offered, and at the same price, or less than the (again, in your opinion) their grossly inflated price?

I second your motion, here JimJimbo. Doing a CPI inflation calculator crunch going back to any given year of Cornwall (or any Klipsch Heritage speaker, including Khorns) I find the price of the Cornwall TODAY is exactly the same as it was "back then." It's a perfect indicator of the Government's historical inflationary measures of devaluing the US Dollar. About $1,000 "back then" was a lot of money, and today's pricing is NOT "grossly inflated" it is ACCURATELY inflated. IOW, brand new Cornwall today is exactly the same price as a brand new Cornwall back then. So basically all new Heritage products from Klipsch have been the same price at all time, it's just the the money you are buying them with TODAY is not worth as much as "back then," whichever year you choose to analyse.

Also, as a DYI speaker designer and modifier of fine Klipsch products, it's a testament to Klipsch's longevity of great design and construction when all you have to do (assuming Klipsch Heritage products were not abused by Kilowatt amplifiers operated by idiots) is replace 40 Plus year old capacitors to make them sound brand new again. How many products in our society can make that claim??

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes and no.  I do think the new Heritage offerings are a good bit pricey and the following members here are likely higher than 80% used vs 20% new to testify this.  Im not complaining, its just an opinion and observation.  It is a good thing Klipsch quality is second to none and verifies the heavily driven used market.  

Klipsch cant afford to spend $500+ dollars for a single mid that is near the top of the ranks, they also cant do exotic material caps and to expect to sell them to the masses where it may already be a stretch for a customer purchasing new.  But lets not stop there. The incremental changes that are done are obviously an improvement, but many of the achilleas heels still remain.  However, these changes cant just be done without axing the hallmark features and components of said Heritage models and most importantly, who has the right to change such designs?    

The poor Cornwall has been in need of a larger mid horn since its existence, but once again who has the right to butcher an icon that would dramatically change it?  I respect  PWK, all his designs and I sure am thankful for him to giving me the listening satisfaction for over 3 decades, but design and technology is always improving and evolving. 

Bigger is better and the beloved CW with that chest hitting bass deserves a larger shallow mid that would fit the depth of the cab... maybe one mumped up or similar to the  Forte III, but out of respect it remains and I indeed respect that.  

That said, there are lots of improvements to be made on anything you own

• Like 1

I

I do think the new Heritage offerings are a good bit pricey and the following members here are likely higher than 80% used vs 20% new to testify this.

I'm sorry, but I've read this sentence five times now and can't make any sense of it. Can you please translate into English........🤔

26 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I

I'm sorry, but I've read this sentence five times now and can't make any sense of it. Can you please translate into English........🤔

Sorry to be misleading

Diminishing value is high buying new Heritage,  80% of the Heritage owners in this forum own used, just a figurative guess, but one I think is fairly accurate.

3 hours ago, Max2 said:

Bigger is better and the beloved CW with that chest hitting bass deserves a larger shallow mid that would fit the depth of the cab..

So have you been peeking at my drawings for a Super Cornwall Modifications? Is there a leaker in my lab? LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max2 said:

Sorry to be misleading

Diminishing value is high buying new Heritage,  80% of the Heritage owners in this forum own used, just a figurative guess, but one I think is fairly accurate.

I bought my original Khorns, LaScala Center, and several pairs of Heresy's for my wife and my 2 oldest kids..........over the last 41 years. So I guess anyone that has purchased Klipsch Heritage from 2017 on back now owns a USED product by this definition, right?