Cornwalls Rule - What else fills a big room at this price?

wantabeach

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So have you been peeking at my drawings for a Super Cornwall Modifications? Is there a leaker in my lab? LOL.

Looking forward to photos Claude. I have a set of CW II's in Walnut just sitting in a friends playroom and remarkably they're still mint, given their location.

36 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Looking forward to photos Claude. I have a set of CW II's in Walnut just sitting in a friends playroom and remarkably they're still mint, given their location.

They will, eventually, show up in the Super Cornwall thread............stay tuned.

• Like 1

@ClaudeJ1

I really enjoy my refurbished Cornwall I's, but if you can 'super charge' the Cornwall package and get a similar performance increase we received with the "Super Heresy" mods, then sign me up.

I have a pair of Cornwall I cabinets waiting for your instructions.

Jerry

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

How am I going to explain this to my wife after the Super Heresy setup?  I've been thinking about getting a set of Cornwalls and now this.  Can't wait to see what magic comes out of the hat!

You could always put the Super Cornwalls underneath and call the "Super Heresy Stands." Then bring friends over to hear the Cornwalls, but have the Super Heresys play and fool them into thinking it's the big ones!! Probably what Jim Jimbo has done more than a few times. LOL.

• Haha 1

@ClaudeJ1

Claude,

After hearing @jimjimbo Super Heresy's, it was hard to imagine so much sound coming from such a small package.

I thought I knew the sound a Heresy I produced. Jimjimbo has such a collection of speakers, I thought he was just screwing with me! All that sound could not have come from a pair of Heresy cabinets. 

It did not take me very long to find a pair of donor cabinets, but took a while to find a pair of K-42's. The reward is in the listening. 

I like using the standard Cornwall's and the Super Heresy's at the same time. The wall of sound is enjoyed by the whole neighborhood. 

I also like the sound of jimjimbo's  LaScala Split Industrials. But the Cornwalls are more pleasing to my wife's eye. (Here ears don't care that much)

Your effort to improve our listening pleasure is greatly appreciated.

Jerry

• Like 2

@twistedcrankcammer

I'm  sure I do not have your experience, your equipment or your ear.

I have very little experience with higher end audio equipment. But I am not offended.

What I have is a pair of 70's Cornwall's that look and sound amazing to my ears.  Total investment.......a little over $700.

I like their proportions, the front porting and the beautiful walnut veneer. 

As I gain more experience, I may change my opinion, but for the moment, I will keep my Cornwalls.

FWIW, Jubes might sound spectacular, but I do not find them attractive. Form is as important as function.

Jerry

• Like 1

Just now, TFR1 said:

@twistedcrankcammer

I'm am sure I do not have your experience, your equipment or your ear.

I have very little experience with higher end audio equipment. But I am not offended.

What I have is a pair of 70's Cornwall's that look and sound amazing to my ears.  Total investment.......a little over $700.

I like their proportions, the front porting and the beautiful walnut veneer. 

As I gain more experience, I may change my opinion, but for the moment, I will keep my Cornwalls.

FWIW, Jubes might sound spectacular, but I do not find them attractive. Form is as important as function.

Jerry

Jerry,

That is where we agree to disagree. To me sound completely trumps asthetics, I don't care how beutiful the Paladium P-39s were, Jubilees kick there butt, and the Chorus II is in your exact same price point and it trumps the Chorus sound also.

Please considder coming to next years pilgramige  :D

Roger

9 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Jerry,

That is where we agree to disagree. To me sound completely trumps asthetics, I don't care how beutiful the Paladium P-39s were, Jubilees kick there butt, and the Chorus II is in your exact same price point and it trumps the Chorus sound also.

Please considder coming to next years pilgramige  :D

Roger

Heard P-39's in Indy for quite a while with test recordings. In principle, they are super sophisticated bass reflex, like a tall, skinny version of a Cornwall. They also have bass ports in the REAR, which is what inspired my Super Heresy mod. They are a super refined and gorgeous looking speaker. They will best both the Chorus I, II, and any of the Cornwalls (with the possible exception of my upcoming Super Cornwall mod, we shall see).

Being that they use all Custom Made drivers, vs. Off the Shelf drivers, like the Heritage line, they are a different beast altogether with much higher tooling cost. So sonically speaking, they should cost at least twice what a Cornwall III costs, just for the sound improvement and the fact that is has exotic drivers in a 3 1/2 way system. The rest of the money, another 10 Grand is for Aesthetics Only to compete with the High end Market. I have been to Axpona twice to see for myself what high end speakers look and sound like. Most were not worth the money asked, but some were. The best speaker I ever heard there were the Sadurni Horns, which, literally, brought tears to my eyes by how wonderful they sounded (they also had a bigger room then all the rest). I can't afford to play in that $40,000 sandbox, but it showed how good horns can be in a market full of direct radiator speakers, which are more like exotic furniture rather than electro/acoustic transducers. I also heard some equally expensive JBL corner horn copies with Field Coils (where the voice coil magnets come from huge, expensive power supplies), which are a poor choice in the modern days of NeoDymium Magnets, that sounded like $hit, but I digress.

I think the Pro stuff, like the MCM 1900, TSCM, KP-600 modular, Jubilees, etc. kick the butts of all the "pretty" stuff made for homes. I have some "pretty" Jubilee clones with Tigerwood veneer below K-402's that you can't buy from Klipsch without a driver, but all the parts are Klipsch that can possibly be (TADs are better upgrade than most other drivers but super expensive). Having owned ALL of them they are all better speaker than the rest of the direct radiator turkeys and chickens in the market place that give lower distortion sound with less watts than any other brand. Klipsch speakers rule, not matter which you choose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Tears, to the eyes and worth the money you say.... There was another vendor at "the show": Ocean Labs mastering speakers that were VERY impressive.  Only the horn speakers stood out to me in a most impressive way (surprise). 

Those look like one of the top JBL speakers. Their $18,000 M2, as presented by Floyd Toole and his checklist of speaker excellence criteria is also a 3 way bass reflex with a super refined concentric dual driver horn with some exotic shape. In principle, though, it's still a refined Cornwall or Palladium. All are 3 way speakers.

My own 2-way Jubilees are possible with the huge help from a dozen PEQ's from Digital Xovers and bi amping. Otherwise, they would have to be 3 way to perform any better, so they are exceptional to the 3 way rules and technical trends only for those reasons.

• Like 1

"Those look like one of the top JBL speakers" 

-they sure are up there 

"Inprinciple, though, it's still a refined Cornwall or Palladium. All are3 way speakers." 

-yeah..... They are just slightly nicer Cornwalls that are a little bigger and heavier, a tiny bit nicer veneer and very slightly better drivers, but I get your point.   

00s0s_l9bXJb2wqrw_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speed said:

My Jubes are ugh-oh's ? That's a little hurtful, I'm gonna go cry a little...:emotion-50: 

Saying I do not find them attractive is not the same as saying they are Ugly.  As in all things  "...........eyes of the beholder"

Jerry

• Like 1