Cornwalls Rule - What else fills a big room at this price?

wantabeach

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

Chous IIs would be next after my LaScalas.

Jubes are a bit out of my budget, but at the top of my list.

Bruce

Bruce I personally like horn everything better, including Bass Bin and Sub.

That being said, I suggested the Chorus II because A) it comes right in at the same price point as the Chorus.  B) Most who like the Cornwalls like that it goes lower and has more Bass than LA Scala, albeit more distorted bass than horn bass like La Scala..   C) I like the modified tractrix horn and midrange on the Chorus II better than the midrange on the Cornwall.   D) everybody at Klipsch back then agrees the Chorus II trumps the Cornwalls   :D

Roger

7 hours ago, Marvel said:

Chous IIs would be next after my LaScalas.

Jubes are a bit out of my budget, but at the top of my list.

Bruce

Same here.  Even kept the Chorus II due to space and overall balance as i sold my LSi splits(2 pairs) because i needed funds at the time.  But for size and placement, i'd prefer La Scalas over KHorns. Pairing either with an 1802 would be amazing. Jubes(pro)/palladium don't count! haha

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, wantabeach said:

I purchased a pair of Cornwall’s 5 years ago for $800 in Dallas Texas. They are vinetage 1978. I spent $100+ getting Bob Crites to rebuild the crossovers. I push them with a Dynaco ST-70 and PAS 3. They are in my living room which is 18x16 and opens up to my dinning and kitchen area.   These speakers completely fill all these rooms with deep, rich, clear, shimmering music. As has been noted many times, these speakers are not the last word on detail but what do you need to spend to get anywhere close to this experience?  I spent $575 on my PAS 3 after upgrades (striped it down to an input control and volume) and $685 for my Will Vincent upgraded ST-70. That’s rough $2,100.

I have been reviewing different speakers and amps online and everything I want is going to cost me $5000 or more.  I’ve  demo’d my Polk Monitor 10 and 7, Fostex full range, KEF and Tannoy monitors and they don’t even come close.  Is there anything current or heritage that comes close under $10,000 for the whole system at this quality?

image.jpg

Hey, beautiful setup! I see you are running a PAS preamp and a Dynaco ST70 based poweramp. I have the same setup with my Heresy IIIs.

The PAS 3X is a very recent addition for me and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. How do you like yours? What benefit do you feel it bring to your overall sound?

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

• Like 1

The Cornwalls  sound a bit boomy to me and I wonder if some front to back bracing would eliminate that. This for the I and II's I have had here in my shop. I prefer the Chorus I's since the bass is better and they are not boomy sounding to me. I don't have good wall or corners to use so passives are a detriment and not an advantage. In general I like front ported speakers since placement does not have to be right for them to work right and they can go pretty much anywhere and sound good.

One thing not talked about much is buying used components and making your own. I have a pair of Chorus speakers I bought where the cabinets had to be scrapped but all the drivers were good and the crossovers had already been rebuilt with Audyn caps for $350.00. I am going to build some 1" thick Baltic Birch cabinets for these using OEM dimensions and I bet they are going to sound nice. Maybe $500 and time in them and done. Polyurethane on Baltic birch by the way while not fancy veneer looks darned good. Also the factory Chorus motorboard looks like it is made out of Poplar plywood and is very light weight based on that cabinet I just dismantled. Building your own means you can use 1" thick Baltic Birch for the motorboard too and I have to think it would be an improvement in every way over poplar

I think the cabinets for Cornwalls are made of wood too thin and need to be 1' like what I suggested for the Chorus speakers.

When considering building there is also another advantage and that is you wont end up with pretty speakers on the outside and crap particle board junk on the inside. I have seen far to many Chorus and Cornwall speakers where the veneer is rippled and trying to pull away from the MDF crap underlay which got wet at one time. That junk starts swelling and there is no cure but to live with it.

Buying used and not building my vote is for Chorus too.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 10:49 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I second your motion, here JimJimbo. Doing a CPI inflation calculator crunch going back to any given year of Cornwall (or any Klipsch Heritage speaker, including Khorns) I find the price of the Cornwall TODAY is exactly the same as it was "back then." It's a perfect indicator of the Government's historical inflationary measures of devaluing the US Dollar. About $1,000 "back then" was a lot of money, and today's pricing is NOT "grossly inflated" it is ACCURATELY inflated. IOW, brand new Cornwall today is exactly the same price as a brand new Cornwall back then. So basically all new Heritage products from Klipsch have been the same price at all time, it's just the the money you are buying them with TODAY is not worth as much as "back then," whichever year you choose to analyse.

Also, as a DYI speaker designer and modifier of fine Klipsch products, it's a testament to Klipsch's longevity of great design and construction when all you have to do (assuming Klipsch Heritage products were not abused by Kilowatt amplifiers operated by idiots) is replace 40 Plus year old capacitors to make them sound brand new again. How many products in our society can make that claim??

I remember my first new car in 1976 which was an AMC Hornet Hatchback and cost me all of around $2,600. Even worse was when I got my first job at McDonalds but that $1.65 per hour also bought five gallons of gas.

• Like 1

Ive had 2 pairs of cornwalls always missed my altec 604s.....you hear so much more of the music, they can be bought for little like a cornwall, but look what Jean Hiraga did with them and the reviews at the hi fi show in Germany.....good recordings and the 604s and cornwalls arent even in the same league to a critical listener...

4 hours ago, AHall said:

I’d like to test some chorus. Of course they won’t fit where I need my surrounds, but cornwalls will. 

Are the Cornwalls currently surrounds? What are the fronts? KHorns iirc in the jube thread? If Khorns, just go all true heritage i suppose.   Another option could be Chorus I without the passive, they can sit tight in a corner or against a wall with front ports. Stand taller than Cornwalls too so you can get the surround effect closer to seated ear level or above if on top of a small stand/base.  Cornwalls for me would shoot straight at the back or sides of my couch. 

The Altec 604's where my hand me down speakers from the Old Man, when I was a kid.  Altec's, a Fisher tube receiver and a Gerrard turntable. I had a lot of fun with that system. 

As well, if the Epic line has not been mentioned as of yet, the CF3's, CF4's will also fill a big room, without much trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Here's a topic of interest.... Altec VS klipsch used?   Better value and SQ? 🤔. I have heard many people speak of altec but know nothing about em and have never heard a pair 

To whom?

Model and era dependent and even then it's apples to oranges for the most part

Note I said MOST, NOT all

'ALTEC' covers a LOT of ground

Plenty to read about the history of the company and it's products on-line

The company that Jim Lansing started? Their peak period systems like the commercial VOTTs?  There's no comparing the two, only thing close would be a Klipschorn

ALTEC no longer exists except in name only - a handful of former employees were keeping the torch alive for a while offering service, repair and even some new drivers based on the originals (and made in the U.S.A.) but last I heard that was coming to a sad close as well

• Sad 1

To me.   Well aware altec covers a lot of ground.  I am not familiar so interested in comparisons to affordable used models in comparison to heritage.  I'm a klipsch fan, but have just heard many times now, altec models are some of the best you can get used for the dollar.   They are often extremely large and heavy from what I have seen.  Just thinking out loud.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

The Chorus are approx. 4 inches taller, but 10 inches narrower than Corns, both the same depth. You sure they won't fit?

9 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Are the Cornwalls currently surrounds? What are the fronts? KHorns iirc in the jube thread? If Khorns, just go all true heritage i suppose.   Another option could be Chorus I without the passive, they can sit tight in a corner or against a wall with front ports. Stand taller than Cornwalls too so you can get the surround effect closer to seated ear level or above if on top of a small stand/base.  Cornwalls for me would shoot straight at the back or sides of my couch. 

All outta room. The slab is sunken 1’ in my living room. So the cornwall sit on top of the slab, and goes right about to the bottom top plate on my pony wall. 

fifzy1d.jpgePC0Udz4.jpg

• Like 5